Jerry West Wishes the NBA Would Change its Logo

Germanshepherd

Since it's a league rule that every team not grandfathered in must have at least one logo featuring a basketball, then is there any reason why the league logo itself can't be a… roundel with a basketball? 

*ducks for cover*

FAKE EDIT: Yes I'm aware the silhouettes technically feature a basketball. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I don't think the logo really calls that much attention to him. Mostly because I suspect that outside of sports dorks (those of us on this forum), most people don't really know that Jerry West is the logo. For almost everybody else it's just a random silhouette of a basketball man. I'm not particularly attached to the logo and I'm totally open to a change whether it's an all-new design or yet another basketball man. 

Though the real design issue for the NBA in my opinion is the Larry O'Brien Trophy. That thing is easily the worst of the big 4 leagues and MLS. Even college football has a better trophy now that they don't have that weird crystal football that looked like some sort of egg our grandma's owned. 

A silhouette of Jordan's step back jumper from his final game as a bull in the Finals over Russell? would be the perfect one to use that isn't instantly recognizable as Jordan but still honors him as the next. If I'm the NBA i use this as a way to redesign their logo every 25 years to honor the history of their game and still make it relevant to the game at the time. Jordan this time, Lebron in 25 years, and who knows after that. 

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/michael-jordan-of-the-chicago-bulls-shoots-a-jump-shot-news-photo/75293719?#michael-jordan-of-the-chicago-bulls-shoots-a-jump-shot-against-bryon-picture-id75293719

IMG_1501.JPG

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I like the Jerry West logo and I see no reason to change it.  Of course, if Jerry West himself wants it changed, then I guess it should be changed.

I would not want the logo to be of someone shooting.  I think that is too offense-centric.  The game is supposed to be about offense and defense.  The current one, while still offense-centric (he's dribbling a ball), still shows some defense in the sense that Jerry West is clearly facing some defensive resistance.  It's a good balance between offense and defense, about as good of a balance we are going to get IMO.

I think the logo is too iconic to change at this point, though.

West wants to change logo, becuase NBA won't pays him royalites and this is probably the main reason.

Anyway If West forced NBA to change logo that Jordan from mothership isn't bad except hands.

Here is my try (might sucks):

hlaFktn.png

based of this photo:

FD9mA7c.jpg

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, Pabig said:

Can someone mock up an NBA logo using Dirk's fadeaway jumper as the sillhouette?

First page, DG Now's post, second row, far right.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I wonder if maybe a different silhouette for each team might work, similar to how the MLB and MLS use different-colored logos for each team. Like, the Celtics could use a silhouette of Russell or Bird, the Spurs could use Duncan, the Cavs could use LeBron, etc.

That's a good idea, but what about general branding for the league? You'd have to choose one team's silhouette logo or have a completely different logo to represent the league as a whole (perhaps a shield like the NFL or NHL). The MLB and MLS team logos are just different colorings, not changing the base of the league logo itself. 

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I wonder if maybe a different silhouette for each team might work, similar to how the MLB and MLS use different-colored logos for each team. Like, the Celtics could use a silhouette of Russell or Bird, the Spurs could use Duncan, the Cavs could use LeBron, etc.

One logo in different colors is completely different than 31 logos with the same color (or different colors).  There would essentially be no league-wide logo if every team used one of their own players as the silhouette.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, tubby34 said:

A silhouette of Jordan's step back jumper from his final game as a bull in the Finals over Russell? would be the perfect one to use that isn't instantly recognizable as Jordan but still honors him as the next. If I'm the NBA i use this as a way to redesign their logo every 25 years to honor the history of their game and still make it relevant to the game at the time. Jordan this time, Lebron in 25 years, and who knows after that. 

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/michael-jordan-of-the-chicago-bulls-shoots-a-jump-shot-news-photo/75293719?#michael-jordan-of-the-chicago-bulls-shoots-a-jump-shot-against-bryon-picture-id75293719

IMG_1501.JPG

As a Jazz fan.....No. No no no no no. No.

:P 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

As a Jazz fan.....No. No no no no no. No.

:P 

How about a silhouette of him shoving Russell to the gown?

Speaking of Russell, if anyone deserves to be in the logo, it's the guy with 11 rings.

11 hours ago, Lights Out said:

i always thought this was a neat idea

A silhouette doesn't work at all now since it's being used above the NOB.  A vertical logo looks silly there.  Square or horizontal work so much better (MLB, NHL, some NFL teams).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived