USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Seattle (maybe the most MLS-mad city in the country) and DC (capital) should probably be on your list as well.

Yeah, I don't see either of them being skipped for those reasons listed.  Atlanta (super-stadium and being a major business hub) as well.

I'm guessing of the 10 bids, there are 8 locks with New York, Foxboro Boston, DC, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and LA.  Probably Texas will get one from either Dallas or Houston (probably Dallas), so I could see it boiling down to Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Nashville if they want a city in the Midwest (though I think Denver otherwise would be a good choice for #10).

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville, that's a trip. They walk back how gracious and hospitable they are when Chicagoans come to town; how will they cope with actual Germans?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Outside of New York, Atlanta and Dallas who are locks, here's my other seven sites: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington DC(no way you're leaving the nation's capitol out of this), Philadelphia and Boston. No Midwestern sites.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Denver is probably in so there's something between the coasts. I liked Denver when I went but I have trouble getting too jazzed about it as a global destination.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was really hoping that the US would receive the 2022 bid but I was really happy when it got the 2026 hosting duties. My son loves soccer and plays at his school team. How could I secure tickets for the cup? Is there some sort of waiting list? Or first come first served? I'm interested on Dallas, Miami, New York or Boston area. 

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Denver is probably in so there's something between the coasts. I liked Denver when I went but I have trouble getting too jazzed about it as a global destination.

FIFA have Mile High Stadium the highest score of all the venues in the United bid, 4.4 out of 5.

Denver 4.4

Houston 4.3

Miami

Santa Clara

Baltimore 4.2

Cincinnati 4.2

Edmonton

Kansas City

Monterrey

Montreal

Philadelphia

Seattle

Atlanta 4.1

Dallas

Foxborough

Nashville

Orlando

D.C.

Guadalajara 4.0

NYC 3.9

Toronto

Los Angeles 3.8

Mexico City 3.5

I personally would love a game or two in Minnesota at Allianz Field, but I doubt it would ever happen. Not enough seating as well as Minnesota not having the soccer history that a lot of these cities have. If they did decide to have some games in the Midwest I would guess that they would go with Denver. I do think that a couple games in Minnesota would be a big hit and would definitely bring in a ton of locals.

More United bid "housekeeping":

The Preliminary Draw (Summer 2023) will be held in either Miami or Washington DC.

The Final Draw (Winter 2025) will be held in San Francisco (Chase Center) or Los Angeles (LA Live).

The FIFA World Cup Workshop, the two day seminar for the 48 teams (likely February 2026) will be either in Baltimore or Nashville.

The 2026 FIFA World Congress will be held in either Mexico City or Los Angeles.

17 hours ago, jrodsep said:

I was really hoping that the US would receive the 2022 bid but I was really happy when it got the 2026 hosting duties. My son loves soccer and plays at his school team. How could I secure tickets for the cup? Is there some sort of waiting list? Or first come first served? I'm interested on Dallas, Miami, New York or Boston area. 

FIFA will set up a lottery for tickets closer to the tournament. If they follow the same rules they have for locals this year, the tickets for US, Mexico and Canada fans should be discounted from what everyone else pays.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/15/2018 at 3:17 PM, buzzcut said:

Outside of New York, Atlanta and Dallas who are locks, here's my other seven sites: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington DC(no way you're leaving the nation's capitol out of this), Philadelphia and Boston. No Midwestern sites.

Philadelphia is hurt by being right in between NY and DC - literally only 90 minutes rom NY. If you were going to pick two of the three, obviously you’re going with NY and DC. Once you settle on that, is it worth the effort to go with another site that’s basically in the same area? Probably not, considering that there are other “good enough” candidates in the eastern time zone that aren’t on top of each other. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Philadelphia is hurt by being right in between NY and DC - literally only 90 minutes rom NY. If you were going to pick two of the three, obviously you’re going with NY and DC. Once you settle on that, is it worth the effort to go with another site that’s basically in the same area? Probably not, considering that there are other “good enough” candidates in the eastern time zone that aren’t on top of each other. 

Philly's positive is mass transit to/from Lincoln Financial, compared to FedEx Field. Lack of hotel rooms within a 20 mile radius of the stadium is their major issue. D.C., Los Angeles, and Mexico City were dinged more for lack of a 4/5* hotel relatively close to the stadium.

Only Edmonton, Kansas City and Monterrey scored worse.

39 minutes ago, Digby said:

Any chance DC has a new stadium by then, I wonder?

IIRC the Redskins lease at FedEx Field expires in 2027. The club seems dead set on building a new stadium in Loudon County, Virginia when the time comes. If the Skins could find a loophole to get out of FedEx earlier than 2027 it wouldn't be farfetched to believe a new stadium could be up and running somewhere in the DC area in time for the 2026 World Cup.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

20 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

IIRC the Redskins lease at FedEx Field expires in 2027. The club seems dead set on building a new stadium in Loudon County, Virginia when the time comes. If the Skins could find a loophole to get out of FedEx earlier than 2027 it wouldn't be farfetched to believe a new stadium could be up and running somewhere in the DC area in time for the 2026 World Cup.

If the nickname stays, no new stadium.

Heck, the current venue should be put back to the early 2000's era with seating for 2026.

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

If the nickname stays, no new stadium.

Heck, the current venue should be put back to the early 2000's era with seating for 2026.

The team name issue is what will likely keep them from getting a new stadium in DC (most people want a Minnesota type deal to happen with RFK). Virginia has pretty much made it known they don't care about the team name. I'm a realist though. I wouldn't be surprised if the DC govt politicians suddenly changed their mind about the name ($$$$$$$) and let the Skins back into the city.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

The team name issue is what will likely keep them from getting a new stadium in DC (most people want a Minnesota type deal to happen with RFK). Virginia has pretty much made it known they don't care about the team name. I'm a realist though. I wouldn't be surprised if the DC govt politicians suddenly changed their mind about the name ($$$$$$$) and let the Skins back into the city.

The FIFA evaluation said that six of the 23 proposed stadiums "forsee renovation works within the coming years".

M&T Bank in Baltimore is undergoing a $120M upgrade, but honestly, outside of Toronto's BMO Field and Nashville, which apparently needs $300M in capital improvements, and Denver, who started an evaluation process at the same time as Nashville,  who else is in line? Obviously, every venue makes annual upgrades and try to hold municipalities hostage, but the Mexican venues are recent as are Miami, Atlanta, Kansas City.

I guess Cincinnati is one as they possess that continuous clause for upgrades from Hamilton County, but that lease runs out in 2026 too.

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

This isn’t the place to discuss the Washington Redskins name controversy. 

Just getting out ahead of that. 

Gotcha.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:06 PM, dfwabel said:

Philly's positive is mass transit to/from Lincoln Financial, compared to FedEx Field. Lack of hotel rooms within a 20 mile radius of the stadium is their major issue. D.C., Los Angeles, and Mexico City were dinged more for lack of a 4/5* hotel relatively close to the stadium.

Only Edmonton, Kansas City and Monterrey scored worse.

Lack of hotels is Philly's major issue?  Or am I reading that wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On April 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM, EvilChameleon said:

Swap out Houston for Cleveland and US Bank Stadium for Allianz Field when that's built, and we have a deal.

Sorry to tell you but Allianz Field might not even be 20,000 seats. Despite US Bank Stadium being 10 for that World Cup if there is a game in Minnesota it's US Bank Stadium

On June 15, 2018 at 11:39 PM, Section30 said:

I personally would love a game or two in Minnesota at Allianz Field, but I doubt it would ever happen. Not enough seating as well as Minnesota not having the soccer history that a lot of these cities have. If they did decide to have some games in the Midwest I would guess that they would go with Denver. I do think that a couple games in Minnesota would be a big hit and would definitely bring in a ton of locals.

I would love for that to happen but I don't think Minnesota is big enough for the World Cup. US Bank Stadium might have gotten a game if the States had it sooner because by then the place will be 10 years old and the only reason the super bowl was here is because US Bank is the nicest stadium in the league because of it being very young

Archived