Sign in to follow this  
dfwabel

USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

Recommended Posts

On 4/11/2017 at 2:02 PM, Brian in Boston said:

 

 

 

 



In October of last year, FIFA unveiled bidding and hosting guidelines which stipulated that member-nations from the host confederations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups - the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), respectively - would be ineligible to host the 2026 World Cup tournament.

The Australia Football Federation and Football Federation of Kazakhstan both belong to the AFC. The Football Association in England, the Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan, and the Turkish Football Federation are all members of UEFA. As such, under FIFA's new guidelines, the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, New Zealand and Morocco are the only nations on the Wikipedia list that can bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

A member-nation of the AFC or UEFA will only be considered to host the 2026 World Cup if no bid from a member-nation of the Confederation of African Football, the South American Football Confederation, the Oceania Football Confederation, or CONCACAF is found to meet FIFA requirements.     
  

 

FIFA also had the rule of each confederation getting the chance to host the World Cup until 2020, only to detonate it when only South Africa and Brazil placed bids for the World Cups that they won. Had that rule been in place through the entire cycle, the US would probably be getting ready for next year's World Cup instead of Russia. Since the number of teams changed, they probably changed the rules right after to allow any country that could handle 80 games in 30 days to place their bids. I haven't heard that it's been made official though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Brian in Boston said:

 

 

 

 



In October of last year, FIFA unveiled bidding and hosting guidelines which stipulated that member-nations from the host confederations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups - the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), respectively - would be ineligible to host the 2026 World Cup tournament.

The Australia Football Federation and Football Federation of Kazakhstan both belong to the AFC. The Football Association in England, the Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan, and the Turkish Football Federation are all members of UEFA. As such, under FIFA's new guidelines, the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, New Zealand and Morocco are the only nations on the Wikipedia list that can bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

A member-nation of the AFC or UEFA will only be considered to host the 2026 World Cup if no bid from a member-nation of the Confederation of African Football, the South American Football Confederation, the Oceania Football Confederation, or CONCACAF is found to meet FIFA requirements.     
  

 

That's right, they don't let the previous two federations bid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Since the number of teams changed, they probably changed the rules right after to allow any country that could handle 80 games in 30 days to place their bids. I haven't heard that it's been made official though.

 

The FIFA Council came to its unanimous decision to expand the World Cup tournament field to 48 teams in January of this year. As recently as last month, The Guardian was reporting that European and Asian nations were still "excluded from the bidding (for World Cup 2026) following the selection of Russia and Qatar in 2018 and 2022 respectively."

If FIFA has changed its stand on UEFA and AFC member-nations being excluded from hosting the 2026 World Cup unless no bid from a member-nation of the Confederation of African Football, the South American Football Confederation, the Oceania Football Confederation, or CONCACAF is found to meet FIFA requirements, then they've certainly managed to keep that decision under wraps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only one I'd be worried about is Australia/New Zealand  only because they'd be forced to build multiple stadiums which is what FIFA likes as much as more money. The best attended tournament is still USA94. That was a 24 team tournament.  This could possibly triple that with the right teamsand venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

FIFA also had the rule of each confederation getting the chance to host the World Cup until 2020, only to detonate it when only South Africa and Brazil placed bids for the World Cups that they won. Had that rule been in place through the entire cycle, the US would probably be getting ready for next year's World Cup instead of Russia. Since the number of teams changed, they probably changed the rules right after to allow any country that could handle 80 games in 30 days to place their bids. I haven't heard that it's been made official though.

For 2010, Morocco also bid and reportedly had the votes to winbefore Jack Warner took $10M in bribes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The United Bid Committee released the list of U.S., Canada and Mexico stadiums and locations being considered as venue sites. The pool of sites is to be reduced to 25 in October, and eventually down to 12 venues.

 

USA

37 stadiums in 34 markets

Atlanta, Mercedes-Benz Stadium

Baltimore, M&T Bank Stadium

Birmingham, Legion Field

Boston/Foxborough, Gillette Stadium

Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium

Chicago, Soldier Field

Cincinnati, Paul Brown Stadium

Cleveland, FirstEnergy Stadium

Dallas, Cotton Bowl

Dallas/Arlington, AT&T Stadium

Denver, Sports Authority Field at Mile High

Detroit, Ford Field

Green Bay, Lambeau Field

Houston, NRG Stadium

Indianapolis, Lucas Oil Stadium

Jacksonville, EverBank Field

Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium

Las Vegas, Raiders Stadium

Los Angeles, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

Los Angeles, LA Stadium at Hollywood Park

Los Angeles, Rose Bowl

Miami, Hard Rock Stadium

Minneapolis, US Bank Stadium

Nashville, Nissan Stadium

New Orleans, Mercedes-Benz Superdome

New York/New Jersey, MetLife Stadium

Orlando, Camping World Stadium

Philadelphia, Lincoln Financial Field

Phoenix/Glendale, University of Phoenix Stadium

Pittsburgh, Heinz Field

Salt Lake City, Rice-Eccles Stadium

San Antonio, Alamodome

San Diego, Qualcomm Stadium

San Francisco/San Jose, Levi's Stadium

Seattle, CenturyLink Field

Tampa, Raymond James Stadium

Washington, D.C./Landover, FedEx Field

 

Canada

Nine stadiums in seven markets

Calgary, McMahon Stadium

Edmonton, Commonwealth Stadium

Montreal, Stade Olympique

Montreal, Stade Saputo

Ottawa, TD Place Stadium

Regina, Mosaic Stadium

Toronto, Rogers Centre

Toronto, BMO Field

Vancouver, BC Place

 

Mexico

Three stadiums in three markets

Guadalajara, Estadio Chivas

Mexico City, Estadio Azteca

Monterrey, Estadio Rayados

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the US/CA/MX bid does win, then a interesting pattern will have happened - in the last two USA World Cups (94 and 26), an American Summer Olympics will happen two years later (Atlanta in 96, LA in 28)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

If the US/CA/MX bid does win, then a interesting pattern will have happened - in the last two USA World Cups (94 and 26), an American Summer Olympics will happen two years later (Atlanta in 96, LA in 28)

Can add Brazil's WC14 and Rio 16 to that list too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Could we see a CAN/MEX/USA World Cup without games in Toronto? Rogers Centre has not aged well, and I don't know how well it could be configured for soccer. And BMO Field isn't big enough — it appears a minimum 40,000-seat stadium is required for group games.

Currently, yes, that is true about BMO.

But the north end of the stadium (which previously had seating but was torn down in the latest remodel to help make the place suitable for the CFL) has enough room to expand/add temporary seating. I'm not worried about Toronto. I believe (without googling this) they almost had 40 thousand with the expanded seating that was added for the Grey Cup last year (and ended up being used for the MLS Cup as well)

 

Montreal on the other hand, I am. Olympic stadium will be 50 years old at that time and who knows what shape it will be in.

I understand too that Saputo, due to the fact that it was built originally to be a D2 stadium, is at it's maximum now and expanding it any further is not an option.  

 

Unless there's a new stadium tied into some kind of attempt to get baseball back...which is for another thread....I'm really not sure that Montreal is in the running though it absolutely should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2026, Washington will be have one final year on their lease for FedEx Field and already have chosen Bjarke Ingels Group as architect for their new project (~60,000 seats). 

 

Legion Field is not going to be around as Birmingham is ready to finalize a new stadium for UAB and larger events.  Open air or dome is question one, capacity is second.

 

Legion Field, Camping World Stadium, and the Rose Bowl each have bleacher seating and currently fail FIFA's "Football Stadiums– Technical Recommendations and Requirements" and basically need a waiver. 

 

Bob Kraft is also the Honorary Chair of the Bid Committee, so follow the money. 

 

Edited by dfwabel
Added Bob Kraft comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

In 2026, Washington will be have one final year on their lease for FedEx Field and already have chosen Bjarke Ingels Group as architect for their new project (~60,000 seats). 

 

Legion Field is not going to be around as Birmingham is ready to finalize a new stadium for UAB and larger events.  Open air or dome is question one, capacity is second.

 

Legion Field, Camping World Stadium, and the Rose Bowl each have bleacher seating and currently fail FIFA's "Football Stadiums– Technical Recommendations and Requirements" and basically need a waiver. 

 

Bob Kraft is also the Honorary Chair of the Bid Committee, so follow the money. 

 

Camping World Stadium in Orlando had extensive renovations the past few years and likely fits the bill because they could host and just use the lower levels.

 

Personally, I would love to have Tampa host games, but I don't want to deal with traffic and the crazy crowds.  Let Miami or Orlando have the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever they’re calling Dolphins Stadium these days is the best soccer venue this country has — it’s complete with the Euro-style roofs, straight sides, etc. Reminds me of the stadium in Köln so much that has a great atmosphere.

 

lol @ the idea of playing soccer at Heinz Field, that’d be a disaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Whatever they’re calling Dolphins Stadium these days is the best soccer venue this country has — it’s complete with the Euro-style roofs, straight sides, etc. Reminds me of the stadium in Köln so much that has a great atmosphere.

 

lol @ the idea of playing soccer at Heinz Field, that’d be a disaster

Why would Heinz Field be a disaster? The issues with the field don't happen until later in the football season due to the Steelers, Pitt and high school playoffs tearing it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if a minimum of 12 sites are to be selected (I'm sticking with US locations for now),we all can likely agree on the locks:

 

Metlife Stadium - NYNJ

ATT Stadium - Dallas

Rams/Chargers Stadium or Rose Bowl or BOTH - Los Angeles

Soldier Field - Chicago

 

After that if I had to pick 8 more I'd go with:

 

Seattle

San Francisco (Santa Clara)

Miami

Philadelphia

Washington

Phoenix (Glendale)

Nashville or Atlanta

Kansas City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

So if a minimum of 12 sites are to be selected (I'm sticking with US locations for now),we all can likely agree on the locks:

 

Soldier Field - Chicago

I wouldn't call Soldier Field anything near a lock -- it was not part of the failed 2022 bid, passed over in favor of Indianapolis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

So if a minimum of 12 sites are to be selected (I'm sticking with US locations for now),we all can likely agree on the locks:

 

Metlife Stadium - NYNJ

ATT Stadium - Dallas

Rams/Chargers Stadium or Rose Bowl or BOTH - Los Angeles

Soldier Field - Chicago

 

After that if I had to pick 8 more I'd go with:

 

Seattle

San Francisco (Santa Clara)

Miami

Philadelphia

Washington

Phoenix (Glendale)

Nashville or Atlanta

Kansas City

 

I think the US locks are MetLife, AT&T, the new LA stadium and Lego Stadium (if only for the suite wall).

 

Remaining eight:

- Miami (definitely the best-looking soccer/football stadium in the US)

- Seattle

- Boston

- Orlando

- Houston

- Indianapolis

- Chicago

- Phoenix

 

I'm obviously most interested in a Seattle location, and would expect it to be paired with Vancouver/Santa Clara for sake of travel expediency. Though I could totally see Atlanta leapfrogging Seattle, and that would be terrible.

 

I don't think we could get away with passing over Dallas, though I wonder if the Mexican component of the bid means we don't need two Texas locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I wouldn't call Soldier Field anything near a lock -- it was not part of the failed 2022 bid, passed over in favor of Indianapolis.

For the record, Chicago withdrew in December 2009 as the city balked at making financial guarantees that could have cost taxpayers millions on the back of their failed Olympic bid which the taxpayers were also down on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

So if a minimum of 12 sites are to be selected (I'm sticking with US locations for now),we all can likely agree on the locks:

 

Metlife Stadium - NYNJ

ATT Stadium - Dallas

Rams/Chargers Stadium or Rose Bowl or BOTH - Los Angeles

Soldier Field - Chicago

 

After that if I had to pick 8 more I'd go with:

 

Seattle

San Francisco (Santa Clara)

Miami

Philadelphia

Washington

Phoenix (Glendale)

Nashville or Atlanta

Kansas City

I honestly don't foresee any scenario that Atlanta doesn't get a host spot. New stadium, a market that so far had embraced the game, and home of Coca-Cola, a major World Cup sponsor. Minneapolis is also a hard one to pass up as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

 

I think the US locks are MetLife, AT&T, the new LA stadium and Lego Stadium (if only for the suite wall).

 

Remaining eight:

- Miami (definitely the best-looking soccer/football stadium in the US)

- Seattle

- Boston

- Orlando

- Houston

- Indianapolis

- Chicago

- Phoenix

 

I'm obviously most interested in a Seattle location, and would expect it to be paired with Vancouver/Santa Clara for sake of travel expediency. Though I could totally see Atlanta leapfrogging Seattle, and that would be terrible.

 

I don't think we could get away with passing over Dallas, though I wonder if the Mexican component of the bid means we don't need two Texas locations.

I doubt Florida has 2 locations, and Miami would be slotted above Orlando in my books because of the bleachers in the upper deck of the Orlando stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this