(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

12 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I disagree with this. The Preds played better in games 1, 3, and 4. The Pens played better in game 5, and games 2 and 6 were about even. If you recall game 6, the shots were and chances were about even, the only real indicator of one team being out played were the faceoffs (which were heavily in favor of Nashville).

The Preds played better in the first two periods of Game 2. And I recall Game 6 as I was in the room where it happened...

Fine, 4.667 out of 6.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bradbury said:

The Preds played better in the first two periods of Game 2. And I recall Game 6 as I was in the room where it happened...

Fine, 4.667 out of 6.

You may be confusing "played better than" vs. "played well".

Nashville definitely outplayed Pittsburgh in 1, 3, and 4.  The game was pretty even in Game 2 until the 3rd, when Pittsburgh turned on the after-burners.  And Game 6 was pretty even across the board.  (Hell, had the goal counted, it would have been 1-1 going to overtime)

Nashville played well in every game other than Game 5.  They just didn't do enough to finish the job.

22 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

[The catfish thing] wouldn't have become a wildfire sensation had that fan not gotten that "Instrument of Crime" charge in Pittsburgh.

Which all started when Pittsburgh fish markets wouldn't allow TN license-holders buy catfish, just like they did with octopi back in 2008/9. So it's all their fault. :P

19 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I mean, the catfish was cool and all, but it felt like there was one every stoppage in Game 6. I did lol at the one in the jersey and sparkly hat before the game, though. I'm part of the problem. 

Agreed that it's jumped the shark. Much preferred when a couple catfish went flying after the anthem, and that was it. Pretty sure I saw at least one fish after the Pens' second goal last night.

1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

You may be confusing "played better than" vs. "played well".

Nashville definitely outplayed Pittsburgh in 1, 3, and 4.  The game was pretty even in Game 2 until the 3rd, when Pittsburgh turned on the after-burners.  And Game 6 was pretty even across the board.  (Hell, had the goal counted, it would have been 1-1 going to overtime)

Nashville played well in every game other than Game 5.  They just didn't do enough to finish the job.

Guess I'm compensating for Nashville playing without two top centers and in front of an at-times shaky Rinne. Versus a Pittsburgh team with two of the NHL's Top 101 best players (there ya go, Geno).

As far as Game 6 goes, PIT scored on a late garbage goal and an empty net. Shots were basically even, but it sure didn't seem like it, especially for the bulk of the 1st and 3rd:

Basically, the only thing PIT did consistently better than NSH was special teams, which was only a factor in Game 6 because NSH was anemic.

Agree to disagree, though. Just trying to feel better about investing the money and driving time into seeing that game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

I see you're subposting me. I didn't say throwing crap on the ice proved that Perds fans were racist. I said it proves that they aren't truer, purer fans than anyone else, which some people lost sight of as they got too excited about making sure they were on the right side of all things PK Subban, and additionally, Perds fans do get a little worked up about Chicago and Detroit.

I don't think anyone was saying that they were purer and truer than everyone else. It was their first good deep run, and the city was having a good time with it. It reminded people of their similar experiences. Celebrities paid attention to the nerdy-kid-in-the-back NHL. That's it. They get a little worked up about their biggest rivals? OMG... it's practically Gomorrah down there in Smashville. They get a little too excited about PK Subban? Oh no, you're not calling them racist at all! Maybe they just like a really charming, really good player on their team. Yes, he visits children in the hospital... for shame! C'mon, don't run away from calling Nashville racist because St. Louis. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will lynch an effigy of Trevor Daley! It's honestly a little disturbing to see you sitting on high from Chicago making broad statements about any white people from "down there"; it feels like you're generalizing that anyone not from a mega metropolis and toward the South is a dumb country bumpkin whose grandfather was probably in the Klan.

7 hours ago, Bradbury said:

Agree to disagree, though. Just trying to feel better about investing the money and driving time into seeing that game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You got to see one helluvah game and a pretty neat trophy being awarded that night.  Win or lose, those are pretty neat moments.

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I'm part of the problem. 

Only if you took a selfie with it and posted on IG.

9 hours ago, Bradbury said:

Guess I'm compensating for Nashville playing without two top centers and in front of an at-times shaky Rinne. Versus a Pittsburgh team with two of the NHL's Top 101 best players (there ya go, Geno).

As far as Game 6 goes, PIT scored on a late garbage goal and an empty net.

It seems people forget that in Pittsburgh we were without one of the Norris Trophy candidates in Letang. Had he been in I highly doubt we would have given up so many breakaway and odd-man scoring chances.

The goal was a good goal (by garbage do you mean fluky? I usually attribute garbage to meaning non-earned). Nobody was arguing the EN. 

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

You got to see one helluvah game and a pretty neat trophy being awarded that night.  Win or lose, those are pretty neat moments.

This is a good perspective that most don't possess.

NSFCvyu.png

A lot of fans were booing and chanting stuff at the Penguins and the refs, as the Cup was being awarded. But most stayed to watch the Cup presentation, regardless.

This is their first time experiencing a Cup ceremony. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to miss that, win or lose. If anyone got ejected before the presentation for throwing junk on the ice out of frustration, than that's their loss and a waste of a few thousands of dollars for the ticket they wasted money on.

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

it feels like you're generalizing that anyone not from a mega metropolis and toward the South is a dumb country bumpkin whose grandfather was probably in the Klan.

lol half of Tennessee is from Michigan now. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, JWhiz96 said:

It seems people forget that in Pittsburgh we were without one of the Norris Trophy candidates in Letang. Had he been in I highly doubt we would have given up so many breakaway and odd-man scoring chances.

The goal was a good goal (by garbage do you mean fluky? I usually attribute garbage to meaning non-earned). Nobody was arguing the EN.

Fair re: Letang.

By garbage, I did mean a very fluky, Hornqvist-like goal. My point was they didn't straight-up beat Pekka or execute some incredible back-door play to score a goal. Maybe it's not fair to say Nashville "outplayed" Pittsburgh in Game 6, but it's not like Pittsburgh "outplayed" Nashville either. More like out-lucked in the close-out game.

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

True. But it freaking hurt, man.

2 hours ago, Bradbury said:

My point was they didn't straight-up beat Pekka or execute some incredible back-door play to score a goal.

That's true. It's also true that you don't need to put together a beautifully executed play or straight-up beat Rinne to score. Sometimes a bounce just doesn't go your way. I'm a Leafs fan. I know all about that. Sucks, but it is what it is. 

13 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I mean, the catfish was cool and all

It is not. And that's not me picking on Nashville. The Detroit octopus is stupid too. The only one of these traditions that ever seemed cool to me was Panthers fans throwing rubber rats on the ice. 

Probably because it's more of a crowd effort and not the actions of one guy looking to make a spectacle. 

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I don't think anyone was saying that they were purer and truer than everyone else.

The narrative re: Nashville's fanbase the entire Final was "oh look at how they've taken to the team, they're great hockey fans!" And then they throw trash on the ice. 

If you're going to play the "we're a swell fanbase" card then expect blowback when you litter the rink with garbage. 

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

They get a little worked up about their biggest rivals? OMG... it's practically Gomorrah down there in Smashville. 

I think it's a sign of an insecure* fanbase when they get so worked up that ownership needs to ban visiting fans/opposing team's sweaters, yes. And that goes for Ottawa too, lest you think I'm picking on the good ol' Sunbelt.

And they don't just do it for O6/Olde Tymed Iced Hockey fanbases either! Nashville implemented the same rules in the WCF against Ducks fans!

You know. The well-traveling arena-invaders that they are. 

*and I think the crowd shots of downtown Nashville during the Final indicate that they have no reason to be at this point. 

On 6/12/2017 at 9:17 AM, ltp74 said:

Will someone send Rob Manfred a memo that fixing things so the Pittsburgh team wins a championship is the key for running a successful league;) I find it hysterical that people think the NHL and to some extent the NFL are fixing things for the Pens and Steelers! First question is why? Pittsburgh is what the 25th largest tv market and the region is in a population decline. Next why wouldn't Bettman rig things for his "Sunbelt" teams like Nashville, San Jose or Tampa Bay? The yinzers in Pittsburgh are still going to watch the Pens and buy their merchandise, hell a Penguins sweater or Steelers jersey is acceptable attire for black tie events in Pittsburgh. I could go on and on on this topic.

Part of the conspiracy is that so many people have moved FROM Pittsburgh over the years, that their fans are sprinkled all across the country. So they boost viewership incrementally across the country rather than just spiking it in one city. It's why MLB favors NY, Boston, Chicago, and California teams so much for national telecasts. Just get the biggest fan base to watch, and even if it bombs through the midwest and deep south, who cares.

The thing I don't like is the idea it's 'rigged'. It's not. But it's clear who a league's favorites are. And you knew the NHL offices held voodoo rituals trying to make sure Ottawa didn't make the Finals.

As soon as the 2016-17 Penguins are engraved onto the Stanley Cup, the Cup's blank real estate will once again be filled, the latest band encompassing the 2004-05 "Season Not Played" to the 2017 Penguins. So for the third time since the Stanley Cup's second redesign in 1957, the top band on the barrel of the trophy will be retired to the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a blank band placed on the bottom for the next 13 champions. 

So the Cup will be losing the champions from 1954 - 1965 including back-to-back Red Wings titles (Gordie Howe's last two Cups), six Canadiens' titles (including five straight, Maurice Richard's last Cups), a Blackhawks title, and three straight Maple Leafs titles. Some legends getting their final retirement to the Hall.

I found this interesting graphic of an "unabridged" Stanley Cup. What the Cup could look like if it was never redesigned and constantly built upon.

19030346_1242019782591549_513611701933849719_n.thumb.jpg.fc80691ef172dca118b8e12fcb995c6b.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think what makes the Stanley Cup an amazing trophy is not only are your names engraved on it, but it's a 'living' trophy. It's constantly undergoing change. And at some long distant future, your names will be retired to the hall as part of the history of the cup.

No other major sports trophy operates like that. And it makes it a truly historical and awe inspiring trophy.

Who cares about names? What makes the Stanley Cup great is that an untold number of human beings have left various bodily fluids in it, not the least of which is urine, and it still gets passed around and kissed as a holy chalice.

I saw a Youtube video of Preds fans explaining on the news how they get a Catfish through the building (strapped to their back via plastic wrapping). Security does metal detector checks, but if they wear baggy clothes, they don't inspect for Catfish. I didn't think they'd go that far, by releasing a how-to video on the news lol.

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I think what makes the Stanley Cup an amazing trophy is not only are your names engraved on it, but it's a 'living' trophy. It's constantly undergoing change. And at some long distant future, your names will be retired to the hall as part of the history of the cup.

No other major sports trophy operates like that. And it makes it a truly historical and awe inspiring trophy.

Another thing I like about the Stanley Cup is that the first person to hold it every year is the captain. Who gets the Lombardi Trophy first? The owner.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think it's a sign of an insecure fanbase when they get so worked up that ownership needs to ban visiting fans/opposing team's sweaters, yes. And that goes for Ottawa too, lest you think I'm picking on the good ol' Sunbelt.

And they don't just do it for O6/Olde Tymed Iced Hockey fanbases either! Nashville implemented the same rules in the WCF against Ducks fans!

You know. The well-traveling arena-invaders that they are.

I think this has more to do with the Preds/Bridgestone Arena wanting to control the flow of tickets in general. Before PIT won the East, team Predsident (sic) Sean Henry had a presser largely about ticket procedures. Point #1 was not to trust secondary markets at all for SCF tickets because "paper tickets would be nearly nonexistent."

I bought my tickets from a STH friend, and he wasn't even able to transfer them to my Ticketmaster account. I had to meet him outside and walk in with him. Scan his STH card, print a stub, and we were in. Bridgestone Arena has been doing credit card entry like that for concerts and other non-Preds events for years. The "Keep the Red Out" campaigns were just a way of getting Preds STHs to buy into the ticket-less process and sell tickets back to the team for re-sale. All the "negative" national press was just gravy on top of locals happy not to endure morons making Nashville their weekend drink-away.

16 minutes ago, Bradbury said:

I think this has more to do with the Preds/Bridgestone Arena wanting to control the flow of tickets in general. Before PIT won the East, team Predsident (sic) Sean Henry had a presser largely about ticket procedures. Point #1 was not to trust secondary markets at all for SCF tickets because "paper tickets would be nearly nonexistent."

I bought my tickets from a STH friend, and he wasn't even able to transfer them to my Ticketmaster account. I had to meet him outside and walk in with him. Scan his STH card, print a stub, and we were in. Bridgestone Arena has been doing credit card entry like that for concerts and other non-Preds events for years. The "Keep the Red Out" campaigns were just a way of getting Preds STHs to buy into the ticket-less process and sell tickets back to the team for re-sale. All the "negative" national press was just gravy on top of locals happy not to endure morons making Nashville their weekend drink-away.

You kind of sunk your entire point in the last quarter there. 

Have confidence in your fanbase. "We won't sell to those meanies from out of town" comes off as "we're afraid to trust the free market because if we do we can't fill the building." 

As far as "morons" coming into town goes? Welcome to the economy of tourism.

Archived