(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

With this line of thinking, what would stop an opposing player to flop on the ice after a check and act hurt as the other team enters the offensive zone to stop play? I understand you are upset with the outcome of the game but this is hockey after all, it's a brutal sport.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really nervous about tonight.  IMO whoever wins tonight is going to take the series.  If the Leafs win, they have all the momentum on their side and could very well go to Verizon Center with a 3-1 lead, and in that scenario are at worst in a position where they could win Game 6 at home to advance.

If the Caps win, it could be the mental boost they need to gain some confidence back and at least go home with the series even.

Crazy, the Caps are exactly 2 games into the playoffs and its practically already do-or-die time.  Such is the life of a Caps fan :upside:

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, worcat said:

With this line of thinking, what would stop an opposing player to flop on the ice after a check and act hurt as the other team enters the offensive zone to stop play? I understand you are upset with the outcome of the game but this is hockey after all, it's a brutal sport.

"It's a brutal sport" doesn't excuse the officials ignoring the rules. Your hypothetical flop wouldn't be whistled because it wouldn't be an "obvious" injury. That behavior is protected by the first part of the rule. The part where the officials blew the call is the second paragraph. Rulebook time: 

C9oTQ2VXkAAvK9I.jpg.519e306b13d96b732276a70696e8af5b.jpg

"in the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, the referee and/or linesman may stop the play immediately" So it's a judgment call and they showed incredibly poor judgment. He got hit in the face with a shot, instantly fell to the ice bleeding and covering his face, and it wasn't "obvious" enough for a whistle. HE GOT HIT IN THE FACE WITH A SHOT. I can't think of a situation outside of Clint Malarchuk that would more obviously call for an immediate whistle. Matt Calvert took a slapshot under the visor back in November and it was an instant whistle. Exact same scenario. 

I'm upset with the outcome because the officials didn't do their job and it led to a goal for a team that doesn't need any extra help scoring goals. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well I do agree that the Penguins don't need additional help from the refs to score any goals. It wasn't the right call but he should have stayed down.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

"If there's blood on the ice/uniform" should be a pretty easy rule of thumb to follow.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

52 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I don't know, I already have Washington losing to Pittsburgh in the next round anyway, because you know... the Capitals can't beat them (or get past the second round).

true true

spacer.png

1 hour ago, worcat said:

With this line of thinking, what would stop an opposing player to flop on the ice after a check and act hurt as the other team enters the offensive zone to stop play?

2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct (diving).

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Just now, 2001mark said:

2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct (diving).

I'm aware that this would be a penalty IF the ref would witness it but I was referring to the idea of IF the ref just saw a player laying on the ice and jumped to conclusions to call the play dead thinking he was injured.

How many times do players in the NFL just lay down to stop play, this would be very bad for business.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

12 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The only reason I'm watching game 4 of this is because I have tickets. kid's lying on the ice while blood flows out of his eye socket. Play is allowed to continue around him because it wasn't "obvious" enough of an injury to blow the whistle and the penguins tie it up because of course. I knew as soon as he went down and they didn't blow the whistle they were gonna score. I knew. They are the St. Louis Cardinals troll birds of hockey. If you're a penguins fan you know that's an ultra lame way to tie the game. Our fourth goal bounced off an open door? Your third goal bounced off zach Werenski's eye socket. There was probably blood on the puck as it went into the net. No comparison. 

The league's gotta change that rule. It's bad optics (pun not intended) for a guy to be on the ice after getting shot in the face and the game doesn't stop instantly. And then to add insult to injury he couldn't play in overtime. 

Games one and two didn't bother me that much but last night felt cheated. :censored: this matchup. :censored: those officials. :censored: this league. I see one team who knows they can get away with everything and another who isn't sure what the rules even are anymore. 

edit: be nice if the guy who's gonna win the Vezina would make a save and stop looking like it's his first time on ice skates. 

While I was surprised they didn't call for the play to stop right away, I also get why they didn't stop play.  This is to prevent flopping or diving or outright feigning injury to end an offensive possession.  If there's no penalty as a result of whatever injury, play on until the injured player's team has possession of the puck.  It's not that different than play continuing in other sports while an injured guy is on the field of play.

Bruins down 3-0, Acciari, Backes, Pastrnak, Tie game. Doing this with Tommy Cross & Joe Morrow on defense. I know I'm a major homer, but that's quite the effort.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

1 minute ago, Bruins said:

Bruins down 3-0, Acciari, Backes, Pastrnak, Tie game. Doing this with Tommy Cross & Joe Morrow on defense. I know I'm a major homer, but that's quite the effort.

I've never heard of Acciari, Cross, or Morrow. Playoffs!

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

13 minutes ago, Bruins said:

This IMO is probably the most intense series so far. It's cool how Boston came back from a 1-goal deficit in G1, Ottawa from a 2-goal deficit in G2, and Boston has come back from being down 3 in G3. If this continues, it'll be one hell of a series if it goes to seven.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Sometime before this series started, I heard that by some metric, the Caps were one of the league's best defensive teams. And that surprised me, because it seemed to me too often in the regular season the caps were relying on out scoring teams, which doesn't really work in the playoffs. This series is confirming my suspicions. There have been points where the Caps have been very poor defensively, and Holtby has had to bail us out. 

As evidence, giving up an equalizing goal by leaving a guy alone out front. 

spacer.png

Archived