(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

32 minutes ago, Brass said:

It was a dumb rule designed to solve a problem that didn't exist. Was intentionally throwing it over the glass ever really a problem for the NHL? No, it wasn't.

Didn't it literally kill someone? Or was that a deflected shot, I forget. I suppose I could look it up...

I don't disagree with your stance though because it does seem kinda silly to have a penalty for it. Treat it like an icing and not allow the team to change. 

spacer.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MiK said:

Didn't it literally kill someone? Or was that a deflected shot, I forget. I suppose I could look it up...

I don't disagree with your stance though because it does seem kinda silly to have a penalty for it. Treat it like an icing and not allow the team to change. 

That was Brittanie Cecil, and if I remember correctly, it was a deflected shot that found itself into the stands.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

38 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sports are inherently irrational. They're private businesses engaged in competition that's ultimately meaningless.

Love the graphic that says QB "David Gerrard stripped naked, told witnesses he was going east to toil." 

BB52Big.jpg

37 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

These two statements can be seen as being in contradiction.

Say the Oilers are the only Canadian team left in it at some point. And say I chose to cheer for the Oilers for the rest of their run because I, as a Canadian hockey fan, want to see a Canadian team succeed.

How is that "wrong"? At most you can say you disagree with my reasoning, but if that's what I feel in my gut? Well then, that's my rationale and my opinion.

My issue comes when people decide to see fans being fans in their own way and take it upon themselves to dictate to them. Be it someone telling a Canadian hockey fan who wants to see the last Canadian team do well that their reasoning is wrong, or someone telling a pessimistic fan after a brutal loss that their pessimism means they have a "loser mentality."

It all just reeks of unwarranted ego and an undeserved sense of superiority. Don't like my rationale for who I wan to win the Stanley Cup? Too bad. Don't give me grief over it, and I won't give you grief over yours. And we'll all be good :)

I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction. Maybe I'm not phrasing it right, or maybe I'm just plain wrong, but it's fine to me if you or any other Canadian wants to see a Canadian team to do well in the playoffs. It's not wrong, like you said sports are irrational, but I just personally feel like team pride supersedes national pride when it comes to wins which is my point.

Like if you're a Flames fan who actively roots against the Oilers for 82 games, there's probably not a lot of joy in celebrating a Oiler Stanley Cup win just because they happened to be the only Canadian team left and they ended up winning. 

If the Ducks get eliminated, I'm not going to cheer for a Canadian team just because they are Canadian. I might cheer for them for other reasons, but being Canadian isn't the number one priority for me personally.

IEI5Tg1.png

12 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

but I just personally feel like team pride should supersede national pride when it comes to wins which is my point.

I don't think that's wrong per say. Again, I don't think the fact that a Canadian team hasn't won the Cup since 1993 would be much more than an amusing sidenote if American fans didn't celebrate every time the last Canadian team is knocked out of the post-season.

12 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Like if you're a Flames fan who actively roots against the Oilers for 82 games, there's probably not a lot of joy in celebrating a Oiler Stanley Cup win just because they happened to be the only Canadian team left and they ended up winning. 

I would definitely enjoy some not-Leafs Canadian Cup wins more than others due to rivalries, certainly.

Going back to my first point though? I don't think this "rally around the last Canadian team" thing even happens anymore once a team manages to break the drought.

Fake Edit-

GO LEAFS GO! CANCEL THE MOTHER :censored: ING APOCALYPSE

3 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

How about that - Freddy Anderson makes save after shining save and it's a net mouth scramble that beats him. 

5 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm pulling for the Capitals. I wanna see Ovechkin try to have a long playoff run.

You guys' avatars are too similar.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

11 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

You guys' avatars are too similar.

I noticed that too - when I just saw his avatar next to the forum name I thought I still had the most recent comment lol

spacer.png

So much for cancelling the apocalypse, eh Ice Cap?

OK, now since my usual whipping boy team (Detroit) is not in for the first time in what feels like eons, I need to hop on a bandwagon  Give me a team to hate, people. Oh, and one I can like as well.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

My issue comes when people decide to see fans being fans in their own way and take it upon themselves to dictate to them. Be it someone telling a Canadian hockey fan who wants to see the last Canadian team do well that their reasoning is wrong, or someone telling a pessimistic fan after a brutal loss that their pessimism means they have a "loser mentality."

It all just reeks of unwarranted ego and an undeserved sense of superiority. Don't like my rationale for who I wan to win the Stanley Cup? Too bad. Don't give me grief over it, and I won't give you grief over yours. And we'll all be good :) 

I said the reasoning is dumb, not wrong.

As you said, being a sports fan has irrational side effects.  But there's a difference between being irrational and being illogical.  Cheering for a rival in the postseason after you want to see them not be successful in the regular season, just because of team location...there's no logic in that.  There's also no logic in attaching some fake accomplishment into something.  "Canada's first Cup since..." is a fake, made-up accomplishment, since Canada has never played for the Cup nor have they ever won the Cup.  It's just as useless a factoid as that "stat" that the Chicago Bulls have won 20-whatever games in a row in home games televised on TNT.  It's not "We've got the Cup back home!"...it's "NHL team based wherever won Stanley Cup", just like in 2001, just like in 1988, just like in 1969, just like in 1940, etc.

While I do like the instigatory "loser mentality" quip, I've generally saved that for either Game 1 results or 1st half/quarter/period/inning postings.  About the lone good reason the Blackhawks getting swept was that Mr. Motivational Speaker's head-in-the-oven posts only lasted a week instead of two months.

24 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think that's wrong per say. Again, I don't think the fact that a Canadian team hasn't won the Cup since 1993 would be much more than an amusing sidenote if American fans didn't celebrate every time the last Canadian team is knocked out of the post-season.

Creating a fake nationally-based accomplishment brings on fake national pride from the other side.  The sooner Canadian fans drop the fake national pride for a club team's accomplishment, the sooner the knuckleheaded American fans that celebrate a failed fake accomplishment will stop mocking this.

Not that I really see American fans here celebrating when all Canadian-based teams are out, at least those that aren't made in obvious jest.

3 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

So much for cancelling the apocalypse, eh Ice Cap?

OK, now since my usual whipping boy team (Detroit) is not in for the first time in what feels like eons, I need to hop on a bandwagon  Give me a team to hate, people. Oh, and one I can like as well.

Detroit :P the hate doesn't go away just because they miss one year

Archived