(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the Blues lost in 6 yet?

/Goes back to quiet hockey nihilism and drinking.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The first two years out of the lockout almost finished the job, didn't they? Yeesh. Having Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh all be atrocious was, to say the least, unfortunate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The first two years out of the lockout almost finished the job, didn't they? Yeesh. Having Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh all be atrocious was, to say the least, unfortunate.

as much as I hated it the Pittsburgh-Detroit X2 finals were good for the league and Chicago-Philadelphia right after drove that home. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On the eve of this grand spectacle, I think I'm going with Washington, Pittsburgh, New York, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim, Edmonton as my first round picks. Some thoughts:

It's unfortunate for Columbus and Montreal (more so for the former) that a good to great season is rewarded by meeting a better team in the first round. While both of these teams can certainly win, I think it's these two who will be most disappointed and it's not really through any fault of their own.

Boston - Ottawa will be a dreadful series. Clearly the worst two teams that made the playoffs. Toronto has to be kicking themselves that a 2-0 lead on the last day couldn't hold up (not a good sign for the playoffs either) so that they could avoid Washington.

I'm not as high on Edmonton as a lot seem to be. Obviously McDavid is great but if you can bring him down just a bit that takes away so much from the team. All of the sudden Maroon isn't really a factor, or any of the secondary guys. Lately the successful playoff teams have rolled 2-3 scoring lines and I think that approach still works better than one super line. Also they benefited greatly from an obscene number of games where they were rested and the visitor was playing the second of two in two nights coming from Calgary. Still, they get by the first round.

I suppose we'll see Chicago - Pittsburgh in the Final and another Penguins Cup. I would like to see the Capitals win over, uhh...let's say Nashville. Subban having a huge payoff would be fun to see.

Feels strange to me that one of Boston, Ottawa, Montreal, and New York are guaranteed to be in the conference finals.  Meanwhile, the three best teams in the conference are all stuck on the same side of the bracket.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Feels strange to me that one of Boston, Ottawa, Montreal, and New York are guaranteed to be in the conference finals.  Meanwhile, the three best teams in the conference are all stuck on the same side of the bracket.

With the Leafs out of things for years, I actually forgot the new fixed bracket alignment.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

It's gonna be New York, too. It seems like year after year they go deeper than they should because better teams screw up. The Penguins throttling them in the first round last year brought tears to my eyes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For those interested, I went ahead and made an NHL Bracket Challenge group for the CCSLC

Name: CCSLC Rite of Spring

Password: incompetant 

Link: https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/leagues/ccslc-rite-of-spring

(And yes, I know I spelled incompetent wrong. Sue me, or take it as a tribute)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

For the record, I am a dumb person with dumb ideas.

bracket.png

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm in.

Apparently I did this last  year, since an account already existed with my email address.  Come to think of it, I may have won this last year.  I won something...maybe it wasn't this though.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

For the record, I am a dumb person with dumb ideas.

bracket.png

This other dumb person with dumb ideas has the exact same final four.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived