(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when it looked Carlyle was about to pull a Carlyle- give up a late equalizer, lose in potentially soul-crushing fashion- Ryan Getzlaf (whom I thought was honestly over the hill) saves him.

This guy has more coaching lives than a cat.

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think you can blame him, given the history between these teams. I get being positive until the very end, but we've now reached "I'll be happy if they surprise me" levels for Caps fans. You're kidding yourself if you honestly believe the Pens are losing this series at this point.

Hit the nail on the head. 

spacer.png

It helps me feel a little bit better to see the Capitals going down in the exact same way as the Blue Jackets. 

Periodic reminder that the Rangers were the 4th best team in the Metro this season and as a result haven't had to play any of the top 3 yet. Just inexplicably stupid system we got here. 

Let's go Predators. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I was expecting more outrage for Bonino faking taking a stick to the face.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't encourage embellishing. That was a bad call.

NSFCvyu.png

20 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

People are tired of hearing from me on this issue so I didn't get too into it. It's what it's. The power play the Penguins took the lead on was phantom too.

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

People are tired of hearing from me on this issue so I didn't get too into it. It's what it's. The power play the Penguins took the lead on was phantom too.

What about the missed double minor high stick on Guentzel?

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It helps me feel a little bit better to see the Capitals going down in the exact same way as the Blue Jackets. 

Periodic reminder that the Rangers were the 4th best team in the Metro this season and as a result haven't had to play any of the top 3 yet. Just inexplicably stupid system we got here. 

The 5th in the East Rangers who are actually down 2-1 to the 6th place, -2 goal differential Senators? And played 6 games with the 4th place, division champion Canadiens?

Going into the playoffs, I'd agree and say it was screwy, but the Rangers haven't exactly ran away with the easier path they were given. And everybody would still be losing to the Penguins at some point anyway.

For argument's sake, here's how the East would've been in the old format: 1. Washington vs 8. Toronto, 2. Montreal vs 7. Boston, 3. Pittsburgh vs 6. Ottawa, 4. Columbus vs 5. New York.

Taking those, assuming the lower seeded eliminated teams are still eliminated, you'd have 1. Washington vs 4/5 Columbus/New York, 2. Montreal vs 3. Pittsburgh.

Things still aren't all that easy for the Blue Jackets, could still lose to a 100-point team in Round 1, and if anything, makes things easier for Pittsburgh. Maybe Washington could actually make it to the conference finals this time, only to probably lose to the Penguins anyways again.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The 5th in the East Rangers who are actually down 2-1 to the 6th place, -2 goal differential Senators? And played 6 games with the 4th place, division champion Canadiens?

Going into the playoffs, I'd agree and say it was screwy, but the Rangers haven't exactly ran away with the easier path they were given. And everybody would still be losing to the Penguins at some point anyway.

For argument's sake, here's how the East would've been in the old format: 1. Washington vs 8. Toronto, 2. Montreal vs 7. Boston, 3. Pittsburgh vs 6. Ottawa, 4. Columbus vs 5. New York.

Taking those, assuming the lower seeded eliminated teams are still eliminated, you'd have 1. Washington vs 4/5 Columbus/New York, 2. Montreal vs 3. Pittsburgh.

Things still aren't all that easy for the Blue Jackets, could still lose to a 100-point team in Round 1, and if anything, makes things easier for Pittsburgh. Maybe Washington could actually make it to the conference finals this time, only to probably lose to the Penguins anyways again.

Results aren't germane to this issue. The Rangers could be losing 3-0 on 3 shutouts right now and it'd still be ridiculous that the three teams in their division who finished in front of them have to play each other first. If anything the Rangers humdrum performance so far reinforces that point. You bet your butt I would've rather played the 5 seed Rangers in the playoffs. 

I also don't care how the old format would favor the Penguins. The playoffs aren't an annual occurrence for me. We've never had home ice advantage and opening the first round on the road against the team who's probably gonna win the cup again cost them in terms of a better opportunity to move on, but also actual dollars. Let's say they played the Rangers in the first round and lost in 5. That still means 3 home games versus the 2 they had against Pit. Losing that extra home game probably cost the team a few million dollars. 

People say "well you would've had to play the Penguins anyway". Yeah, and I'd rather play them in the second round after we've won our first ever playoff series because that's more fun than getting knocked out in the first round. Again. I guess I'm just mad the more equitable system I grew up with disappeared before my team got good enough to benefit from it. 

1 hour ago, ltp74 said:

What about the missed double minor high stick on Guentzel?

The missed call that changed nothing and had no impact on the game? No equivalence. It's back to what I've been saying all playoffs. Either the Penguins get the benefit of a bad call, are penalized on a correct call, benefit from a correct call, or nothing happens as a result of a no-call. They never see the bad end of a bad call. The moment when the Penguins lose a game because a bad penalty will be the moment I get off this issue. We're 9 games in and it keeps falling your way. I'm not claiming there's checks being cashed or there's a league wide conspiracy. I'm just pointing out an observation. We have two handfuls of examples from these playoffs alone. 

True equivalency here would be a Penguin player lightly brushing a Capital, being given a BS penalty, and then the Capitals scoring the game winning goal on the ensuing ill-gotten power play.

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

Looks like the West will be Ducks/Preds...  Why do I even bother watching this sport.

Nashville has never made the conference finals, and it's not like Anaheim is there often (once since 2007).

Folks don't want the regulars constantly winning.  Folks don't want new blood in the conference finals.  The hell do folks want?

One Conf. Finals out of 10 is still not that much. Hell, the freaking Hurricanes and Coyotes have as many third round appearances in the last 10 years.

And just enjoy the game, don't have so much hate in your heart. It's fine to dislike teams, but don't let it get in the way of you enjoying the best sport on planet earth. I get that you don't like the Ducks, but it's not like they're bad people even if you dislike certain aspects on the ice. I'd root for Corey Perry all day before I root for an actual human scum like Mike Ribeiro or Patty Kane.

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Let's go Predators

That's the spirit. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived