(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

Just now, SabresRule7361 said:

The NHL needs to get rid of the freaking coach's challenge.

No they don't. The coaches challenge is fine. What needs to change is Toronto getting the calls right.

NSFCvyu.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

As much as I love beer, I haven't been drunk since 2013, this game may end the drought. 

I'm thinking of switching to something harder and passing out until game 2 comes around. 

15 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

And people think the Blackhawks are the NHL darling?

lol speaking of darlings, did you see that John Scott criticized PK Subban? Hockey internet didn't know whether to sh-t or wind its watch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Well, at least the Penguins will win it a suitable uniform this time.  4 teams since 2009 says parity does not exist in this league.

Parity is a goal to strive for, but one that can never be achieved. The teams with the best players will, ultimately, win at the end of the day. 

Unless you're Washington. 

15 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Anyway the offsides call on the Nashville goal was the right call, by the letter of the law. Ridiculous given that it had no effect on the play the goal was scored on, but the rule is what it is.

Nashville doesn't deserve to win this series if one called back goal in the first game is enough to break them. And I don't think it will. They'll be fine. 

I've never been a fan of this dumb challenge rule.  This is where "spirit of the rule" should take precedence over "letter of the law".  It's allowing the coaches and players an "out" for bad defending if a guy is questionably offside, or has what...an inch advantage?  Especially when all videos shown weren't conclusive in seeing his skate off the ice (at least what was shown on TV).  Then the stumble that leads to a call that leads to a guy getting mad....instant 5 on 3.  Bad defense on the second goal, lazy play on Rinne on the 3rd goal, and that snowball is gaining steam downhill.

I don't like to blame the officiating, but they've been "less than stellar" in the first 20 minutes.  I don't get how the Penguins goalie being on the ice for 30 seconds didn't prompt the referee to stop play when the Penguins had the puck.  Usually once the team with the injured player has possession of the puck/ball, the officials stop play.  But since the Penguins had the puck in the offensive end....they certainly aren't helping the perception that the NHL and/or NBC likes certain teams and players.

I don't think I'd be as disappointed if they were getting pounded 3-0 by Ottawa. Being a Canadian team's first franchise championship punching bag wouldn't be quite as disappointing. But Pittsburgh's? Sure don't feel good captain. I just hope they make this a series while there's still time to make it one.

And who knows, we live in a world where the Cubs are defending World champions and Cleveland is about to play to defend a championship title, both teams coming back from 3-1 deficits, and Nashville is neither cursed by a goat nor the city of Cleveland. Why not a turnaround for them?

ICXC NIKA

17 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

As Hedley pointed out, it's a seven game series. 

They'll probably come back swinging eventually. But that no goal really seemed to suck the wind from their sails, considering it was a momentum killer in the opening minutes of the opening period in their first Cup Final. And it was a very close call.

14 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

As much as I love beer, I haven't been drunk since 2013. This game may end the drought. 

I also haven't been drunk since 2013.

20:13 that is.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

They'll probably come back swinging eventually. But that no goal really seemed to suck the wind from their sails, considering it was a momentum killer in the opening minutes of the opening period in their first Cup Final. 

Again, it's one non-goal in one game of a best-of-seven. 

Nashville will either shake it off and come back or they'll let it crush them entirely. They probably don't deserve to win if the latter happens.

5 minutes ago, RockyTopper said:

I don't think I'd be as disappointed if they were getting pounded 3-0 by Ottawa. Being a Canadian team's first franchise championship punching bag wouldn't be quite as disappointing. But Pittsburgh's? Sure don't feel good captain. I just hope they make this a series while there's still time to make it one.

That seems worse to me. If I'm getting annihilated I'd rather it be to an unstoppable juggernaut that an upstart underdog type. Watching my college football team lose to an FCS school hurts far worse than watching them lose to a team like Auburn. Semantics aside, both make me very sad. 

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

That seems worse to me. If I'm getting annihilated I'd rather it be to an unstoppable juggernaut that an upstart underdog type. Watching my college football team lose to an FCS school hurts far worse than watching them lose to a team like Auburn. Semantics aside, both make me very sad. 

Auburn as an unstoppable juggernaut....:lol::lol::lol:

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

But what if both teams are underdog types? Not exactly sure many people would've foreseen an Ottawa-Nashville series. I'm generally a defeatist with my sports teams anyway so I like finding scenarios that cushion the disappointment and I find one team that's never won a title losing to another one that's never won is better than a team that's never won losing to a team with multiple titles playing for a repeat.

ICXC NIKA

7 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

We got ourselves a game! 

What a great bounce-back. Even if they don't complete the comeback this kind of an effort is a lot easier to bounce back from in a game 2 than a 3-0 smashing, really brings that 1st period called back goal into even more question. There's life in them there Preds!

ICXC NIKA

Archived