"It's time to bring the baseball uniform into the 21st century"

AndrewPF

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah. Baseball isn't soccer or hockey where there's constant movement. To be absolutely frank? Baseball's the one sport where belts and button-down shirts make sense.

Now as far as alternatives to that setup go...

I wouldn't be adverse to the pseud-pullover look, with the buttons by the collar, eventually replacing the standard button-down look. You could probably replicate every existing design onto that template and not miss anything aesthetically.

For pants though? I'm open to new materials, but the belts have to stay. The elastic waistband look was the absolute worst aspect of the pullover era from an aesthetic standpoint. As WSU stated, belts have been used in football forever and no one even thinks about it. No reason they can't stay in baseball.

I wouldn't say betls and buttons make sense so much as they can be indulged.

Players only know what they've experienced. It doesn't occur to people that something can feel better until better is on their body. UA matters, like the article seems to hint at. The faux button ups will be a big step, but the biggest thing is the fabrics and hopefully slight changes to cut that, done right, won't play with the general aesthetic.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

If people really have an issue with doing away with belts and buttons, thats their own problem. 

It's never made sense to me how outdated baseball uniforms are. These guys play in the worst heat of any sport, but wear multiple layers of dated clothing that makes no sense.

The heat problems have been diminished with the death of cookie cutter stadiums and astroturf and the advent of the Cool Base uniforms.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, RichO said:

I wouldn't say betls and buttons make sense so much as they can be indulged.

Players only know what they've experienced. It doesn't occur to people that something can feel better until better is on their body. UA matters, like the article seems to hint at. The faux button ups will be a big step, but the biggest thing is the fabrics and hopefully slight changes to cut that, done right, won't play with the general aesthetic.

Aren't different and/or lighter materials used in minor league and college baseball?  Not to mention Spring Training/BP?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They tried to get a little inventive with pullover shirts and elastic waistbands for a decade and a half there in the 70's and 80's and everyone decided baseball looked better when the players wore button up shirts and belted pants and nobody's tried to do a pullover shirt since. Pants length and tightness is another discussion entirely. Men's fashion as a whole is moving towards more form fitting clothes, less baggy everything, and we've hit a good middle point between the skin tight 80's and the pajama monsters of the late 90's/early 2000's. Lots of basketball players are going to less ridiculously long shorts, I've noticed.

Innovation can come into play without fully reinventing how a baseball uniform is worn or looks. Materials, venting, jersey cuts with extra room in the sleeve (remember how Pedro used to cut his sleeves?) all this stuff is kind of happening already. I think a two button collar on a pullover shirt is a good compromise between old school tradition and a pullover. Yes, baseball is played on hot summer days, but the sports necessitates pants and sleeves and there's ways to keep the players cool without dressing them in shorts and sleeveless tanks or Nike sweatboxes.

The only player who should ever go sleeveless is Ted MFing Kluszewski.

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

95 degrees in July is still 95 degrees in July.

It's a bit more bearable considering you spend half of your time in the shaded dugout.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

95 degrees in July is still 95 degrees in July.

You are making it sound like they are playing in sweatshirts and garbage bags. They aren't, they are wearing an undershirt of some kind, a fairly lightweight polyester jersey, with even lighter vent areas. They wear pants to protect themselves when sliding. And then they wear a hat to shield their faces from the sun. Shorts were tried before and they didn't last half a season before they dropped them. I sure they could uses some different materials and they are experimenting with them to degrees but the cuts of the uniforms don't need fixing.

95 degrees in july or 30 degrees in october, weather shouldn't be an excuse. If that's the case, just make all fields be required to be in arenas/domes.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

2 hours ago, worcat said:

95 degrees in july or 30 degrees in october, weather shouldn't be an excuse. If that's the case, just make all fields be required to be in arenas/domes.

Don't make us choose between baseball in a dome and baseball in pullovers and sansabelts. ;)

20 hours ago, SNBSlugger said:

I clicked on this topic with trepidation for fear I was going to see a bunch of those "Turn Ahead The Clock" jerseys.

I wish Cool Base had been around when I played.  Polyester was terrible in sticky August heat.  I have NO idea how they used to play in wool and flannel way back in the day.  I would most certainly die.  I'll be curious to see what Under Armour comes up with for new cooling tech in MLB since they're taking over for Majestic soon.

Cool Base is 100% polyester...

The materials are already improving and developing.. The pants are different now than they were 10 years ago, and we're all aware of the new Cool Base and Flex Base innovations of recent years.. 

For the record, I like pullovers..

On 4/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, rams80 said:

It's a bit more bearable considering you spend half of your time in the shaded dugout.

On 4/10/2017 at 4:22 PM, dont care said:

You are making it sound like they are playing in sweatshirts and garbage bags. They aren't, they are wearing an undershirt of some kind, a fairly lightweight polyester jersey, with even lighter vent areas. They wear pants to protect themselves when sliding. And then they wear a hat to shield their faces from the sun. Shorts were tried before and they didn't last half a season before they dropped them. I sure they could uses some different materials and they are experimenting with them to degrees but the cuts of the uniforms don't need fixing.

Im not making it seem like that, I'm simply saying it's hot out. 

The materials have improved over the last 100 years, but let's not act like we aren't all hot when we stand outside in July weather. It's not like its a conspiracy. Sun+Summer=hot.

The less fabric the better. Shorts won't work, but why are baseball pants essentially slacks with a belt? Why do players need buttons and undershirts? Button up jerseys are more "formal" than "athletic". They also create problems with team branding across the chest, and some players look sloppy because they opt to leave buttons undone. Some teams, like the Cardinals, have extra wide gaps between buttons because the logo needs more space. It just doesn't make any sense. Design is supposed to solve problems, not create problems. Baseball jerseys with buttons are a design problem.

44 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Im not making it seem like that, I'm simply saying it's hot out. 

The materials have improved over the last 100 years, but let's not act like we aren't all hot when we stand outside in July weather. It's not like its a conspiracy. Sun+Summer=hot.

The less fabric the better. Shorts won't work, but why are baseball pants essentially slacks with a belt? Why do players need buttons and undershirts? Button up jerseys are more "formal" than "athletic". They also create problems with team branding across the chest, and some players look sloppy because they opt to leave buttons undone. Some teams, like the Cardinals, have extra wide gaps between buttons because the logo needs more space. It just doesn't make any sense. Design is supposed to solve problems, not create problems. Baseball jerseys with buttons are a design problem.

You do realize undershirts are used in all sports right? NBA is probably the only one where the majority don't use them (but I could be wrong and it actually be used by most players). And also you are wrong about design. Sport design is used to create an aesthetic appearance that looks to appeal to the greatest audience possible. In baseball that design asthethic is a classic design that has worked for decades. There is nothing about the current design of baseball uniforms that "creates problems." The materials have improved and been updated but the overall cut and design of the uniforms do not need to change.

53 minutes ago, dont care said:

You do realize undershirts are used in all sports right? NBA is probably the only one where the majority don't use them (but I could be wrong and it actually be used by most players). And also you are wrong about design. Sport design is used to create an aesthetic appearance that looks to appeal to the greatest audience possible. In baseball that design asthethic is a classic design that has worked for decades. There is nothing about the current design of baseball uniforms that "creates problems." The materials have improved and been updated but the overall cut and design of the uniforms do not need to change.

You're totally wrong about sports design having a different motive than any other type of design. Aesthetics are a piece of the puzzle, but as you said the main motive with aesthetics is to appeal to the audience. 

The original point of a modern baseball hat was to block the sun from the wearer's eyes, not to look cool.

I just outlined for you problems with the current design of baseball uniforms.

Buttons are basically pointless and are used inconsistently by players. They also create issues with team branding on front of uniforms. Belts are unnecessary for athletic apparel. Fabric and cut have changed since the start of the sport but in general haven't advanced with whats possible or what makes sense due to the abilities apparel companies have today.

This doesn't happen often, but there have even been plays where the ball has entered the player's jersey through the holes in between buttons. This is a design problem whether you understand it as such or not. Is it a huge deal? No. Obviously, like I said, it rarely happens. Regardless it is a flaw in the design. 

If the point of sports design was solely to create aesthetic appeal, why would baseball have ever changed from these looks? I'm thinking because it makes no sense to wear a tie and collared shirt to play a sport. The belt and the buttons are just pointless leftovers.

lettering_pittsburg.jpg

7f494be67ca161864e149c2ef77a7803.jpg

I think that baseball uniforms should only change in fabric, not design. For anyone wondering sliding headfirst will only hurt if you doing it incorrectly, with all fabric. Now sliding naked would hurt....

SIG.png

Archived