Mandela Effect

AndrewPF

Maybe you've heard of the Mandela effect. It's a name that the internet has given to false memories that seem very, very real. You might remember the Berenstein Bears/Berenstain Bears phenomenon that came about not long ago. The name comes from a false, but widely held memory that had Nelson Mandela dying much earlier than he actually did, most usually reported as a death in prison in the 80s.

Have you experienced this in the context of sports logos and uniforms? Are there any logos or uniforms that you could swear existed, but you just can't find any proof of their existence? 

The one that jumps out for me is basically a helmet version of this cap. I don't know when the A's would have worn it, but I'm imagining it in the classic kelly green and the more modern forest green. I can see it clear as day. I could swear I saw it at least on some baseball cards when I was a kid, but apparently I've made it up.

Oakland-ASG-Cap.jpg

I can also picture the Detroit Tigers playing in orange, but a quick Googling reveals only a knockoff jersey for sale online.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GFB said:

This is probably the Tigers uniform you're thinking of:

3492509789_411c2b6c08_o.png

That's pretty much exactly what I imagined. Strangely, the fake one I saw when I tried googling is entirely different. Doesn't even seem like an attempt to reproduce this.

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I thought,for a long time,that FC Dallas had a blue/white hooped away shirt ever since they were founded. In fact,their first aways were grey,and they adopted the blue/white hoops in 2008. I also had the impression that Manchester United had a black away shirt under adidas in the 80s; black kits,though,weren't yet allowed in Britain yet at the time.

When I was a kid I remember the St. Louis Cardinals wearing red jerseys for a few games in 1998 or 1999. It's probably just my memory of seeing McGwire wearing the batting practice uniform or because it was in the Ken Griffey or All-Star Baseball games on N64.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

When I was a kid I remember the St. Louis Cardinals wearing red jerseys for a few games in 1998 or 1999. It's probably just my memory of seeing McGwire wearing the batting practice uniform or because it was in the Ken Griffey or All-Star Baseball games on N64.

I was thinking of this same exact one. I'm guessing it was because McGwire taking BP was an event in and of itself, and those BP jerseys received a disproportional level of attention as a result. But I swore as a kid that the Cards had worn a red alternate with a red wordmark.

This is crazy to me because now that you mention it, I almost remember two red jerseys myself, even though they've never worn red outside of BP.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

There are two football instances for me. I've always truly thought I've seen the Dolphins wear a navy alternate in a game, and the Titans a red alternate in a preseason game. It would've been around 2001-2002 for both cases, but I've found zero evidence of both ever being worn in a game (though both were fashion jerseys, I believe). 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 minute ago, FinsUp1214 said:

There are two football instances for me. I've always truly thought I've seen the Dolphins wear a navy alternate in a game, and the Titans a red alternate in a preseason game. It would've been around 2001-2002 for both cases, but I've found zero evidence of both ever being worn in a game (though both were fashion jerseys, I believe). 

I could have sworn I saw the Bucs in black too.

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

That is probably it, but the Cardinals did have a one-off red alternate in 1999. 

8190058191_699b487f3c_o.png

21 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

These, I assume? According to the Gridiron Uniform Database, they were never worn in-game, though I thought up until now that they had been.

usQ80.jpg

Kind of a shame too, because they actually would've looked quite good in a night game down in Miami.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

That is probably it, but the Cardinals did have a one-off red alternate in 1999. 

8190058191_699b487f3c_o.png

That's the exact one I remember! So I'm not crazy - these were worn in-game. I could've sworn seeing pictures/highlights of the Cards wearing that during a game (and as a 10-year-old kid, I watched SportsCenter every single morning religiously, so I have no doubt I would've caught highlights of that game).

1 minute ago, kroywen said:

These, I assume? According to the Gridiron Uniform Database, they were never worn in-game, though I thought up until now that they had been.

usQ80.jpg

Kind of a shame too, because they actually would've looked quite good in a night game down in Miami.

Yep, that very one! Aqua drop shadow and all. I think it would've looked great in a Miami night game as well. Probably not against the Patriots or some other navy team, but maybe the Chiefs or something like that.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

As far as the Cardinals one goes, we've seen the BP jerseys from the 90s, and now we've seen that one-off, but maybe the image is so vivid because (as far as I've seen in a few places I've lived) where there are MLB-branded little league teams, having a Cardinals team in red shirts just like that one is pretty common. Now, it might be far-fetched to suggest that we're confusing a little league shirt with a real one, but perhaps the widespread existence of the little league one causes us to assume that it must be modeled off a real one.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Someone's a cinemassacre/avgn fan....

I don't know if I've had any, maybe when the phillies first introduced their alternates back in 08 I thought the hat was the same one I liked as a kid in 94.....except a bit later I realized the one in 94 was all blue and no red bill.

Mine is the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.  Now for the first seven years of the 1980's, the Colts had a dull, silver grey color in their uniforms.  Sometimes it was their entire pants (which made them look dirty compared to their white helmets) and other times it was just within their shoulder and pant stripes.  For that I have enough visual evidence.  But then there's the infamous 1995 uniforms.  They went to blue facemasks and black cleats both from white, which they kept for years.  They had blue pants on their road uniform set for at least three games.  All of that I have visual proof for. But to this day, I swear I saw one single home game where they had blue jerseys and blue-silver pants.  Think of the Cowboys' greenish silver pants and just adjust them to royal bluish accordingly. It drives me nuts, because I can still see it in my mind's eye, and I thought I had heard fans screaming blue murder in protest too. 

And yet, I wonder if it's all in my head. I can find no such one off shiny blue-silver game pants the Colts wore for a single home game. The silver gray pants with the single silver blue stripe and the horseshoe logo on the hip they ware earlier- sure, no problem. But there is no proof that the other pants ever existed in any capacity.  Not on the drawing board, not as a proposal, no pictures, no footage, not in practice, nothing. 

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

18 hours ago, AndrewPF said:

Maybe you've heard of the Mandela effect. It's a name that the internet has given to false memories that seem very, very real. You might remember the Berenstein Bears/Berenstain Bears phenomenon that came about not long ago. The name comes from a false, but widely held memory that had Nelson Mandela dying much earlier than he actually did, most usually reported as a death in prison in the 80s.

As an aside...isn't being unaware of the unusual spelling of an author's name a pretty bad example? I always assumed it was Berenstein because it was commonly misspelled and mispronounced, and I was surprised to learn the correct spelling just now...but that's not a false memory!  Neither is Haywood Jeffries / Jeffires.    How about Armon/Armen Gilliam? Seems like Mandela effect but is actually true.

Archived