Mandela Effect

AndrewPF

Good thread idea.

Now, I could swear the Magic had a black alternate during the early-Dwight years, but can't find any pictures of it. Same with the Devil Rays' inaugural uniforms: I actually have a black cap with a purple bill with the TB on it, but I can't find pictures of it being worn anywhere (and it was marketed as an on-field cap)

ExJworW.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Good thread idea.

Now, I could swear the Magic had a black alternate during the early-Dwight years, but can't find any pictures of it. Same with the Devil Rays' inaugural uniforms: I actually have a black cap with a purple bill with the TB on it, but I can't find pictures of it being worn anywhere (and it was marketed as an on-field cap)

I have a black Rays full-size replica helmet that has the sting ray logo and a purple bill. That was probably just a plan that had changed by the time they actually played their first season.

Not sure whether this counts but had I never come on this board, I'd probably believe that the Astros had only one jersey for a period of time before the switch to gold and blue (mid-1980s to early 1990s).  A friend of mine told me they only had one jersey.  I took a look at some baseball cards and agreed with him.  Turns out that the gray they were using was just very light.  But I believed it for over a decade.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Not sure whether this counts but had I never come on this board, I'd probably believe that the Astros had only one jersey for a period of time before the switch to gold and blue (mid-1980s to early 1990s).  A friend of mine told me they only had one jersey.  I took a look at some baseball cards and agreed with him.  Turns out that the gray they were using was just very light.  But I believed it for over a decade.

From 1975 through 1979, the Astros did indeed have only one jersey.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

From 1975 through 1979, the Astros did indeed have only one jersey.

Another thing I learned as a result from joining these boards.  But that's a bit before my time...I believed they "currently" were wearing one in about 1990 and did all the way through a few years ago.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I was on the opposite end of this. Freshman year of college a friend and I got into a heated argument about whether the Bengals had ever worn this jersey in a game

s-l300.jpg

As much I would've liked it, they never wore it on the field. I said "find a picture of them wearing that". He couldn't produce a photo, but never admitted his incorrect memories. His logic "if they sold the jersey they must've worn it at some point" and kept saying "I could've sworn they wore this jersey for one game". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 hours ago, chakfu said:

As an aside...isn't being unaware of the unusual spelling of an author's name a pretty bad example? I always assumed it was Berenstein because it was commonly misspelled and mispronounced, and I was surprised to learn the correct spelling just now...but that's not a false memory!  Neither is Haywood Jeffries / Jeffires.    How about Armon/Armen Gilliam? Seems like Mandela effect but is actually true.

Maybe it's not the best example, but that's what thrust the phenomenon back into the collective consciousness and blew up the internet for a while, so I put it out there.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

The Berenstain/Berenstein thing is because the books were read to us as children before we could read and our parents pronounced it incorrectly. I remember it as Berenstein pretty clearly, but then I don't think I looked at one of those books after I learned how to read and until this surfaced a couple years ago. 

Interesting phenomenon and fun to think about, but it's not proof of a glitch in the matrix. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Berenstain/Berenstein thing is because the books were read to us as children before we could read and our parents pronounced it incorrectly. I remember it as Berenstein pretty clearly, but then I don't think I looked at one of those books after I learned how to read and until this surfaced a couple years ago. 

Interesting phenomenon and fun to think about, but it's not proof of a glitch in the matrix. 

It's funny because people swear there's something wrong about this stuff instead of the obvious.

For example, people swear there's a movie called Shazam where the comedian Sinbad plays a genie from the 90's but the reality is due to these things:

1. The movie Kazaam with Shaq as a Genie came out in 1996 around the same time of several movies that starred Sinbad

2. The fact Sinbad himself hosted a block on TNT dressed as a Genie in the 90's

3. The story of Sinbad the Sailor

4. "Shazam" is a trademark of Marvel

The human brain is weird and tricky.

bSLCtu2.png

On 09/04/2017 at 0:33 AM, AndrewPF said:

Maybe you've heard of the Mandela effect. It's a name that the internet has given to false memories that seem very, very real. You might remember the Berenstein Bears/Berenstain Bears phenomenon that came about not long ago.

Cinemamassacre?  Or else coincidental.:mojoto:

I can't think of anything sports related at the moment... 

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Just now, 2001mark said:

Cinemamassacre?  Or else coincidental.:mojoto:

I'm not sure I know what that is. This was a huge thing online last year or so.

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

1 minute ago, AndrewPF said:

I'm not sure I know what that is. This was a huge thing online last year or so.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.  He was the Angry Nintendo Nerd, but they've got other interesting time waster vids... that one there was from April 7 last week, 500k+ views.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I used to always remember the Canada Cup Canadian uniforms were just standard red & whites...

tp_TeamCan84CC_02.jpg

Blue pants... mind blown.  I re-watched 87 final on dvd this winter, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Red pants would have been better. Those are awful.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

19 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I was on the opposite end of this. Freshman year of college a friend and I got into a heated argument about whether the Bengals had ever worn this jersey in a game

s-l300.jpg

As much I would've liked it, they never wore it on the field. I said "find a picture of them wearing that". He couldn't produce a photo, but never admitted his incorrect memories. His logic "if they sold the jersey they must've worn it at some point" and kept saying "I could've sworn they wore this jersey for one game". 

A quick perusal of any team shop will disprove that logic pretty quickly. 

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It's funny because people swear there's something wrong about this stuff instead of the obvious.

For example, people swear there's a movie called Shazam where the comedian Sinbad plays a genie from the 90's but the reality is due to these things:

1. The movie Kazaam with Shaq as a Genie came out in 1996 around the same time of several movies that starred Sinbad

2. The fact Sinbad himself hosted a block on TNT dressed as a Genie in the 90's

3. The story of Sinbad the Sailor

4. "Shazam" is a trademark of Marvel

The human brain is weird and tricky.

DC Comics, not Marvel, but that's an excellent point.   I had forgotten that story, but it's a perfect example of people with strong, clear memories of something that clearly doesn't exist. 

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

DC Comics, not Marvel, but that's an excellent point.   I had forgotten that story, but it's a perfect example of people with strong, clear memories of something that clearly doesn't exist. 

I once had the experience of having a "memory" of a nonexistent event.

More than ten years ago, I was watching the Seinfeld episode with Keith Hernandez, and I was waiting for a Kramer line that I clearly remembered: when he indignantly declares, in reaction to Jerry's mention of Hernandez, "I'm not speaking to Keith Hernandez".  

I watched the episode, but Kramer said no such line.  And there was no edit.  

What the hell was going on?  I did internet searches of the line, and found nothing; it was demonstrably not in the script of the Seinfeld episode.  I called a friend to ask him about the line.  But all he could tell me is that he had no idea what I was talking about.

I was terribly confused.  But I eventually realised what I had done:  I had combined that Seinfeld episode in my mind with the episode of The Odd Couple featuring Richard Dawson.  In the Odd Couple episode, Oscar mentions Dawson; and then Felix, who was holding a grudge over a previous dispute, states angrily, "I'm not speaking to Richard Dawson".

Mystery solved.  But the funny thing is that, even though I now have the whole thing straight, I can still "remember" Kramer saying the line about Keith Hernandez!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Did the Flyers ever actually wear a Quakers inspired fauxback? This is obviously a photoshop, but I feel like I've seen people wearing them. Probably chinese knockoffs?

6a0115709f071f970b0154328845b7970c.jpe

From what I could gather, it's tied to the 2012 Winter Classic. But the Flyers wore the orange, cream trimmed jerseys vs. the Rangers.

Archived