Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eggcellent

WWE Payback: April 30, 2017

298 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

Mahal isn't a Muslim.

True, but maybe along the lines of being un-American and against America.  Not necessarily the same gimmick, but the promo style.

My other half had surgery this morning at 8am,  which left me with several hours in the waiting room / normal room to kill.  

I started Lucha Underground  B)

3 people like this

6 hours ago, BayouJim said:

Also, The House of Horrors match at Payback is not listed as being for the WWE Championship. 

Adds to my theory that you don't get title rematches on RAM

41 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Mahal isn't a Muslim.

You know who is? 

Spoiler

Sami F***ing Zayn

3 people like this

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

if you give Mahal a push like Muhammad Hassan was supposed to get

That was one of the 1st things I thought of. If Mahal gets the run Hassan never got, it'll be a shame. 

Not sure if you guys covered this, but apparently Mahal's push is part of WWE's India growth strategy. 

I guess pushes have always been business decisions (or who's friends with HHH decisions) like "who can draw the most money?" but it's weird to think of a guy's push being determined by WWE looking to penetrate an emerging market.

It'd be easier to accept if they weren't pushing him so suddenly. I'm also tired of the many-person match to determine a contender. Especially when one of the participants is Jinder Mahal who I'm fairly certain has never achieved victory while I've been watching before this.

You know what they should have done? A tournament! Orton is tied up with potentially (or not) losing his WWE title in the House of Spooky match. That match isn't happening for a bit, and it's a good while until the next SmackDown PPV, so why not have a tournament? You can use it to build up Jinder Mahal (and others) much in the same way the CWC built up nearly every single person in it, and this match with Orton wouldn't feel so damn forced. It'd still be odd, but it'd be at least a little bit earned. Instead, we get a guy who never wins anything ever, show up and get slotted into the main event seemingly on whim.

1 person likes this

Worse #1 contender: Jinder Mahal, Vladimir Kozlov, Great Khali or that one time Bob Holly challenged for the title at Royal Rumble?

1 person likes this

Just now, Shumway said:

Worse #1 contender: Jinder Mahal, Vladimir Kozlov, Great Khali or that one time Bob Holly challenged for the title at Royal Rumble?

Dude, Khali won the f'n title! 

A Sami Zayn/Orton feud would be a lot of fun but would come at the expense of babyface reactions for Orton.

Sami might always be at the Tito Santana level, which is a good place to be all things considered. I just don't know why WWE works so hard to build up babyfaces people don't like when they have several existing ones people do.

1 person likes this

Holly was only done as a match/comeback thing for when Brock broke his neck in 2002.  

Kozlov was a F'ING disaster as was Khali.  

Mahal, I actually like.  

BUT, the worst HAS to go to Khali by a country mile.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

True, but maybe along the lines of being un-American and against America.  Not necessarily the same gimmick, but the promo style.

Thats the last thing we need right now. Like it or not, getting white peoples to hate brown people (specifically those that aren't from here) is kind of a thing now, and WWE needs not to play into that. It's not a joke anymore, and it's not an angle that they should be manufacturing. 

In fact, they could go the other way - tell a story about how his home was vandalized, how his wife was raped, how his... you get it. Have him be the one that has to overcome prejudice - and if that doesn't get him over, put him in a turban and make him a snake charmer or have him shuck and jive. 

I'm pretty happy I missed out on the era of WWE that involved guys like Khali and Jack Swagger holding the belt. 

17 minutes ago, Shumway said:

The Big Boss Man.

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm pretty happy I missed out on the era of WWE that involved guys like Khali and Jack Swagger holding the belt. 

Jack Swagger's title reign is what happens when you give somebody the belt to get them over, instead of giving the belt to somebody who's already over. 

I believe you can elevate somebody by giving them a Championship, but that person has to be almost at that level anyway, and already over with the audience to at least some reasonable degree.

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Thats the last thing we need right now. Like it or not, getting white peoples to hate brown people (specifically those that aren't from here) is kind of a thing now, and WWE needs not to play into that. It's not a joke anymore, and it's not an angle that they should be manufacturing. 

In fact, they could go the other way - tell a story about how his home was vandalized, how his wife was raped, how his... you get it. Have him be the one that has to overcome prejudice - and if that doesn't get him over, put him in a turban and make him a snake charmer or have him shuck and jive. 

So... Were you the one that liked the Katie Vick storyline? 

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

So... Were you the one that liked the Katie Vick storyline? 

LOL.  Obviously I'm exaggerating, just sayin' to make him a victim.

8 hours ago, BayouJim said:

Jinder doesn't do anything for me. He's not an underdog I can get behind. I wish Rusev was healthy because he is the real American Dream and this is a push he could use.

I hope for babyface Rusev to make a surprise return to answer the Kevin Owens Face of America Open Challenge in the near future. They can even call him "The Red, White and Brute". 

3 people like this

Would love to see Rusev get a big title push. He's always been one of my favorites even though he rarely goes over anymore.

1 person likes this

Jinder isn't a Muslim. He's also an Indian-Canadian. I'm not sure if he's a spiritual guy, but he comes from a Sikh family. So the "Muslim American" angle wouldn't work. For a few reasons.

Booking an Indian Sikh in the role of a Muslim seems tone deaf even by WWE's low, low standards. 

Now Sami Zayne is a Muslim and could probably do that angle justice if WWE booked him properly as a guy who overcomes prejudices. Problem is last time WWE tried that they turned the Muslim character into a terrorist. So probably best for the writing team to keep their distance and just let Sami get over by being awesome.

If they can manage to stop jobbing him out, that is.

2 people like this

Uhh....

1 person likes this