2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna jump right in.

Scaling back the teams from 31 to 28 would do the league well. While I understand it may it be a bit much to disband three teams at once, it's necessary at this point. The talent pool is diluted, the Panthers, Coyotes, and Hurricanes have no fans, and the league is bleeding money by taking control of the Coyotes.

I think the NHL, if it absolutely has to expand, should've gone to Seattle, Quebec, Milwaukee, Kansas City, or Salt Lake City before Las Vegas.

The Golden Knights, despite my dislike for them, will be my third favorite team, because my grandparents live there. They've been wanted to see hockey for a while, (Especially to see the Islanders) and now they can. I hope them and myself can get into the team.

I know I went off on a tangent, but my point was that the NHL needs to scale back some teams. I hope Vegas goes well, but I doubt it will.

54 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

THUMP-THUMP

STUPID

THUMP-THUMP

TEAM

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Having suffered through plenty of Dallas home games, I'll always love that Pantera joke.

----

I guess the Stars' hope in pulling a Carlyle-to-the-Ducks is that Hitchcock can do what he's done before in getting teams in line quickly. But unless you're bringing Hitchcock in to sit on the goal line himself and fill up the holes, I don't know how much he's doing. I don't know how different he'll be than Lindy Ruff was.

When the Ducks did this, it was trying to get a mentality change. The Stars' problems are much deeper than a mental block. They need much more than just the Techno Twins up front. Defense, Goaltending, that whole bit needs to be fixed, because they're not that far removed from being the Colorado Avalanche. Flash-in-the-pan good season surrounded by seasons of sucking mediocrity.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

7 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

But unless you're bringing Hitchcock in to sit on the goal line himself and fill up the holes, I don't know how much he's doing.

I have to think there will be backup goalies to be had before the expansion draft, no?

Here's my annual list of points differences from the previous year.  This biggest surprise for me was Winnipeg. My guess based on everything I've heard was that they took a step back this year, but they had one of the bigger increases in the league; they were the biggest points increase to not make the playoffs.  Last year, the last wild card in the West had 87 points; this year, it was 94.

Edmonton +33
Columbus +32
Toronto +26
Montreal +21
Minnesota +19
Calgary +17
Ottawa +14
Winnipeg +9
Pittsburgh +7
Chicago +6
Anaheim +2
Boston +2
San Jose +1
Rangers +1
Carolina +1

Nashville -2
Washington -2
Tampa Bay -3
Buffalo -3
Islanders -6
Vancouver -6
Philadelphia -8
St. Louis -8
Arizona -8
New Jersey -14
Detroit -14
Los Angeles -16
Florida -22
Dallas -30
Colorado -34

Isles will keep Doug Weight on as head coach.  Surprisingly, I"m ok with this as I really liked how the team responded to him after he took over.  However, Snow needs to go.

23 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

That remains, and will probably continue to remain, the most baffling hire in NHL history.

The silliest thing is that he's STILL THERE!! Like it was weird at the time, but then he just stuck around somehow.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

That remains, and will probably continue to remain, the most baffling hire in NHL history.

Agreed.  I always wondered what kind of blackmail material Snow had on Wang to get, keep and then get a five year extension when Wang walked out the door.  He must know where all the skeletons are buried and then some.

On 4/16/2017 at 7:21 PM, worcat said:

Are people still complaining about Vegas getting a team over cities that didn't even put in a bid? Get over it already. That ship has sailed.

Were other cities even considered? I thought the NHL just said "Vegas" and didn't even consider anyone else.

5 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Were other cities even considered? I thought the NHL just said "Vegas" and didn't even consider anyone else.

Yes, no other cities applied for an expansion team.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Las Vegas and Quebec City applied for expansion teams, but at the end of the four-step process, only Las Vegas was approved.

Seattle was expected to apply, but their bid fell apart at the last minute.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Darryl Sutter, along with basically the rest of the Sutters, lives in Alberta in the off-season. I have a hard time seeing him going too far to the East of that. At the same time, I have a hard time thinking he'd take the Vancouver job, either, for a couple different reasons, so I'm not entirely sure what his plan is going to be.

Winnipeg would be a great place for him if Cheveldayoff would pull the Maurice trigger already.

spacer.png

Archived