2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

24 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

So Arizona got Hjalmarsson from Chicago for some prospects, and Stepan and Raanta from the Rangers for the 7th overall pick and a prospect. Not smart.

Hey, at least they're making moves. Arizona's kind of in a nowhere but up spot. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Hey, at least they're making moves. Arizona's kind of in a nowhere but up spot. 

You're right...

Their two options are to become a better franchise through good moves,

OR

Move up to Seattle :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 6/23/2017 at 0:30 PM, chcarlson23 said:

You're right...

Their two options are to become a better franchise through good moves,

OR

Move up to Seattle :P

This is the first time, in years, that the Coyotes have looked serious about attempting to stay in Phoenix, in a sustainable way.

Talks with the Suns about a joint arena venture have started back up, and there's even rumors that Barroway is trying to deal with Glendale for an equitable arrangement, in the meantime. (I'm dating a die-hard Coyotes fan. I hear more about their moves and business than I really care to).

I think that it may be too little, too late. Nashville has proven that you can turn a market around, though. As long as they make good moves and stop acting like the market owes them their allegiance, and get to a more favorable location, they could have a shot at proving most of us wrong.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

8 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Or Quebec!

If the Coyotes do get moved, it will most likely be to a US market. Moving a WHA team out of a Canadian market and then later back into a former WHA Canadian market? That's probably more of an admission of being wrong than the League could stomach, even if only in appearance. Plus the "unbalancing" of the conferences. (Red Wings back to the west, oh the humanity!)

A Carolina relocation is still Quebec's best hope of rejoining the league, IMO.

Saad for Panarin is an incredible deal for the Hawks. Saad is younger, a better two-way player, and on a longer contract. I wouldn't call him a Hossa replacement, but he slots in a lot better than anything the Hawks had in-house.

Panarin is a couple years older, and if he keeps producing at this rate, you're going to have to pay out the ass for him. But if he wants to keep producing at this rate, he's going to have to start doing more in the offensive zone than wait for his devastating one-timer to fire off. Even Pat Foley noticed he was glued to the walls for the entire Nashville series.

Betting tonight the Hawks ship off Kruger and whatever for one of Vegas' first-round picks. Also, maybe get some defense sometime instead of relying on Michal Rozsival? idk

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Saad back to Chicago along with Anton Forsberg. Blue Jackets get Artemi Panarin and some other dudes. 

I don't know what to feel. 

Panarin is fun, Saad is a winner.

I will miss Niklas Hjalmarsson so much. One of my all-time favorites. That guy gave us everything he had. Now I hope he crumbles immediately so I don't feel like we gave anything up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NHL draft should be interesting tonight. I'm hoping the Bruins don't screw this up too badly. Considering Jake DeBrusk, Jakub Zboril nor Zachary Senyshyn have made their debuts yet and they were picked in a stacked 2015 first round, I don't have high expectations. Bruins will most likely end up taking a Swedish forward who won't sniff the NHL for another 4-5 years ala Carl Soderberg.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

wah wah i wanna play for my country in the olympics i just don't want to earn income there. You babies deserve your stupid Bettman Cup.

I think I’m fine with this. Kinda feel like I did with the Johansen/Jones trade; I really hate losing the player the Jackets traded, in this case Saad, but think the new guy, Panarin, is more what this team needs. Jackets need that type of guy who has top-level offensive skill.

6fQjS3M.png

13 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I think I’m fine with this. Kinda feel like I did with the Johansen/Jones trade; I really hate losing the player the Jackets traded, in this case Saad, but think the new guy, Panarin, is more what this team needs. Jackets need that type of guy who has top-level offensive skill.

I've talked myself into it. We have a lot of setup guys and fewer dynamic finishers. Panarin can finish, especially if he's on a line with Wennberg.

My discomfort comes from Saad having four years on his contract to Panarin's two and I got emotionally attached to him. He tilted the ice 5 on 5, came to a less than ideal situation and didn't bitch about it.  He's a good dude and played his ass off for us. The anti jeff Carter.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's your Hall of Fame Class:

Former San Jose Sharks great Teemu Selanne, St Louis Blues legend Paul Kariya, Atlanta Thrashers stalwart Mark Recchi, New Jersey Devils hero Dave Andreychuk, Danielle Goyette, current Montgomery Burns Cosplayer Jeremy Jacobs*, Clare Drake.

*:censored: this guy

edit: made it cheekier. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Kariya doesn't deserve it. He mostly put up empty numbers on go-nowhere one-line teams. There's something to be said for that, but I don't think "Hall of Famer" should be it.

Oh, and Marc Methot went to Dallas, apparently the preferred destination for Canadians who bitch out of playing in Canada.

On 1/23/2017 at 11:16 PM, the admiral said:

Denver's been a hospitality house for damn near everyone because the Avs have been run out of a broom closet for ten years and no one is actually from Denver anymore.

Lebrun confirms my broom closet theory.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Marc Methot went to Dallas

For a 2020 second round pick and a guy that was just drafted in the 7th round over the weekend. I really wonder if McPhee isn't overthinking these deals; I think many GMs overvalue draft picks. I think the Knights should probably try to win a few more games than it seems like they want to. Ask the Avalanche how tanking* went.

*Not that the Avs were trying to tank, but you can't argue with the results.

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Kariya doesn't deserve it. He mostly put up empty numbers on go-nowhere one-line teams. There's something to be said for that, but I don't think "Hall of Famer" should be it.

So, it's his fault the rest of the team sucked?

To say flat out that he doesn't deserve it is a bit much. Admittedly, I always thought he was a borderline candidate, and I'm not naive enough to say that his induction doesn't have anything to do with Selanne being inducted this year too. That narrative certainly helped his cause. Plus the discussion started by Lindros the year before and Pavel Bure's case as well probably helped push it forward. All that aside, he has his qualifications.

Put up a point-per-game pace, 989 points in 989 games, most of which in the trap era. 100 points twice (99 points in 69 games in 96-97) in a career that, much like Lindros and his induction last year, was just destroyed by injuries. In that 96-97 season (52-goal, 117-point 82-game pace), he missed 13 games due to injury (1st concussion by Matthieu Schneider, and abdominal strain). In 1997-98, he was limited to just 22 games with 17 goals and 31 points (63-goal, 115-point 82-game pace). Now 32 of those games were for contract holdout, so even in 50 games that's 38 goals, 70 points, but Kariya missed the Olympics and the final 3 months of the season with a concussion from Gary Suter. Just those two seasons is potentially 57 points and 29 goals lost. He did post 101 points the season after, but he was up and down forever after that Suter concussion. (And as great as his 2003 "off the floor, on the board" moment was, we all know Stevens damn near killed him.) He lost a season due to lockout, and only played 11 games in 2008-09 (a hip injury against the Ducks, coincidentally, on a hit from behind) and ended his career the next season sighting post-concussion syndrome, not that hip injury.

Basically, had he not been kabonged a couple times, Kariya could've had close to 1,200 points in his NHL career, add in some self sabotage with the 32-game holdout and the full season lockout. And with precedents set by Eric Lindros and Pavel Bure, Paul Kariya has the qualifications to be up there with those guys.

Not to mention his freshman season at Maine (100 points in 39 games, first freshman to win the Hobey Baker), World Junior Gold, World Championship Gold (and silver), Olympic Gold (and silver). It is the *hockey* hall of fame after all, not just the NHL hall of fame.

If he had never gotten his call to the hall, I would've understood. He is on that borderline. But to flat out say he doesn't deserve it? That's harsh.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived