2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

The funniest part of that breakdown is that the Golden Castoffs have more national dates than the team that's been to two Western Finals in three years. As far as major-market B-teams go, that's more ignominious than any lack of play the Islanders get.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

OITGDNHL will the league’s fourth-best team from a season ago, with the league’s best goaltender and reigning coach of the year, be on national television exactly one time next season.

All while a non-playoff team is scheduled to have 16 national TV dates. :rolleyes:

As harsh as it sounds, folks will want to see more of the Blue Jackets if they win more than one playoff game.

1 minute ago, crashcarson15 said:

*checks how often Blackhawks are on TV*

Oh.

*checks how popular the Blackhawks are in TV ratings*

If you want to be in the viewership club, gotta do more when it counts.  Gotta be more than "Won more games but got tossed aside in five in the first round".

5 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

*checks how popular the Blackhawks are in TV ratings*

If you want to be in the viewership club, gotta do more when it counts.  Gotta be more than "Won more games but got tossed aside in five in the first round".

Yes, let’s hold getting “tossed aside in five” to the team that’s now won two consecutive Stanley Cups against them. That’s a perfectly worthwhile reason why the NHL shouldn’t try to market last season’s fourth-best team that featured the third most valuable player in the league.

6fQjS3M.png

I know it's giving too much credit but maybe the NHL knows in its collective heart that it will always be a Canadian/Northeastern/Midwestern league and that, for instance, mouthy Dallas Stars fans online are not commensurate with real-life interest.

13 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Forced Rivalry Nights! The Flyers and Red Wings is the most forced rivalry ever. They played each only 2 times a season for a long time. The Flyers also had a long standing home winning streak against them. How the hell is it a rivalry at all?

Well, they did play each other in the cup finals 20 years ago. That must be something that'll get players such as Dylan Larkin or Travis Konecny excited to continue that heated rivalry. :rolleyes:

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

4 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Yes, let’s hold getting “tossed aside in five” to the team that’s now won two consecutive Stanley Cups against them. That’s a perfectly worthwhile reason why the NHL shouldn’t try to market last season’s fourth-best team that featured the third most valuable player in the league.

This isn't "The NHL should try to market".  This is NBC saying "What's going to get us more eyeballs watching our product?".

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

The funniest part of that breakdown is that the Golden Castoffs have more national dates than the team that's been to two Western Finals in three years. As far as major-market B-teams go, that's more ignominious than any lack of play the Islanders get.

Yup. You could take a few of the teams ahead of the Ducks and ask "what?" The ones that stand out to me are Vegas (new toy, they'll go down to the 2 range next season) and Los Angeles. The Ducks get 4 games, but the Kings get 12? Like huh? And 2 of the Ducks' 4 games are against the Kings! Yes, the bigger city, but a team that missed the playoffs, plays the most god awful hockey to watch gets 8 more games? C'mon. 

But really, I gave up on the "Why aren't we (the Ducks) on NBCSN more!?!" fight a while ago. NBC/NBCSN have been and will always be more partial to the Eastern teams due to time slots and ratings. And when they do have a West Coast window, you check where the Blackhawks are playing or if the NBC7 are on a Western swing, then they check if the Sharks are at home, because Comcast. I mean, it is ridiculous considering the Ducks' recent success (yes, I know, regular season, thanks) and talent, but I've resigned/justified myself to the "we'll get our national TV dates in the playoffs" mindset. And if NBCSN announcers or viewers aren't familiar with the team by then and thus they get an inferior broadcast product and lower ratings, well then that's their own fault.

I'll admit, while infuriating, it is also funny to watch the NBCSN crew (studio and booth, depending on who they piece together for the late game booth) flop around trying to talk about the Ducks because they're unfamiliar with the players, their roles, etc. But again, it's their own fault. They should know the whole league in depth for their jobs anyways, but they don't because they're rarely required too. NBCSN also has crap studio analysts, so what am I expecting in the first place.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

11 hours ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

Well, they did play each other in the cup finals 20 years ago. That must be something that'll get players such as Dylan Larkin or Travis Konecny excited to continue that heated rivalry. :rolleyes:

As a Flyers fan, that cup final never happened. :)  But in all seriousness, that's probably how NBC looks at it. It's a "rivalry" because of a cup final sweep 20 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Yup. You could take a few of the teams ahead of the Ducks and ask "what?" The ones that stand out to me are Vegas (new toy, they'll go down to the 2 range next season) and Los Angeles. The Ducks get 4 games, but the Kings get 12? Like huh? And 2 of the Ducks' 4 games are against the Kings! Yes, the bigger city, but a team that missed the playoffs, plays the most god awful hockey to watch gets 8 more games? C'mon. 

But really, I gave up on the "Why aren't we (the Ducks) on NBCSN more!?!" fight a while ago. NBC/NBCSN have been and will always be more partial to the Eastern teams due to time slots and ratings. And when they do have a West Coast window, you check where the Blackhawks are playing or if the NBC7 are on a Western swing, then they check if the Sharks are at home, because Comcast. I mean, it is ridiculous considering the Ducks' recent success (yes, I know, regular season, thanks) and talent, but I've resigned/justified myself to the "we'll get our national TV dates in the playoffs" mindset. And if NBCSN announcers or viewers aren't familiar with the team by then and thus they get an inferior broadcast product and lower ratings, well then that's their own fault.

I'll admit, while infuriating, it is also funny to watch the NBCSN crew (studio and booth, depending on who they piece together for the late game booth) flop around trying to talk about the Ducks because they're unfamiliar with the players, their roles, etc. But again, it's their own fault. They should know the whole league in depth for their jobs anyways, but they don't because they're rarely required too. NBCSN also has crap studio analysts, so what am I expecting in the first place.

Yeah this is how I feel as well. I'm always kind of irritated when they play the CBJ game on NBC because the announcers know less about the team, they bring up old stories you've heard already because they have to dictate to a national audience, and the games start a half hour later. 

Jeff Rimer can't pronounce the players' names, never knows when there's a penalty, mixes up players, and it's the same five local ads over and over, but it's also familiar and their topics of discussion are most up to date. And Jody Shelley does a good job in between benches. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

We still don't know who's calling games for Las Vegas, do we? Someone on HFboards said Pat Foley is leaving the Hawks to do games there but I feel we would have known that by now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 10:12 AM, the admiral said:

We still don't know who's calling games for Las Vegas, do we? Someone on HFboards said Pat Foley is leaving the Hawks to do games there but I feel we would have known that by now.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/aug/15/golden-knights-name-first-tv-radio-broadcasters/

Dave Goucher will call TV play-by-play alongside color commentator Shane Hnidy on AT&T SportsNet, while Dan D’Uva calls radio play-by-play on FOX Sports 98.9 FM/1340 AM.

Goucher worked as a radio announcer for the Boston Bruins since 2000 and was named Massachusetts Sportscaster of the Year in 2013 and 2014.

Hnidy has been a part of the Winnipeg Jets broadcast team since 2011 as a color commentator on TSN Television, part of the broadcast team on TSN Radio 1290 AM and doing in-studio pregame and game recaps for TSN. 

D’Uva has been the radio and TV play-by-play voice of the American Hockey League’s Syracuse Crunch since 2012.

Meanwhile the six Las Vegas radio stations owned by CBS Radio (soon to be Entercom) won't cover or mention the team.

From a group email:

Just wanted to pass along this info….a decision has been made that effective immediately, there are to be no further mentions of the Las Vegas Golden Knights hockey team on any CBS/LV radio stations or any of our social media platforms. This includes, but not limited to, on sale ticket mentions, player/coaches interviews, plugging locals to sing national anthem, TV broadcast schedule, etc. It is now the responsibility of the Golden Knights’ chosen radio partner to help accomplish their goals, not ours. We are asking you to include ‘show’ pages, as well. We need to show a united front on this issue. If you have anything already planned around the team, please cancel. If you have any ‘best of’ bits around the team, please do not air and find another piece of content.

So more Vegas media stuff, AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain, the television home of your Golden Knights, is still not available in 70% of Las Vegas homes:

ATTSNRM is available on DirecTV and Dish, but not in Vegas cable providers Cox and CenturyLink.

Maybe instead of being "the team of the Rocky Mountains" and getting a channel that reaches into Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, you should've just been the team of  :censored: ING LAS VEGAS signed with a channel that reaches into MOTHER :censored: ING LAS VEGAS.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, this is going worse than I'd hoped for, but about as well as most of us expected. Nothing says NHL like breaking in a US market, and then making yourself unavailable to the bulk of that market's home-viewing base.

Jesus, Knights. You get a two, maybe three season head start, before the Raiders come to town. Your best hope is to make as many fans as possible before the NFL starts dominating the first half of your season.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived