2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

The Blackhawks were the only team over the new $75 million cap. Now they're not.

It just seems so awfully convenient for Chicago.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The Blackhawks were the only team over the new $75 million cap. Now they're not.

They still have to factor in Hossa's cap hit for cap compliance purposes prior to the beginning of the season. They can't put him on LTIR until the season starts.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

27 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Life has never been easier now that a 25-goal scorer and red-assed backchecker has disappeared into thin air. got it made in the shade baby B)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's my thoughts:

- Shoving that into the awards show was stupid and a classic NHL move. The draft should've been its own event. 

- Las Vegas is going to suck this season. They will still finish with more points than this past season's Avalanche. 

- I like their jerseys. 

- I feel bad for William Karlsson. 

- I'm glad we got rid of David Clarkson's contract.

- It is irritating to me as a fan of one of the last two expansioneers that they're making it easier on VGK than they did for Minnesota and Columbus. The protected lists were smaller for Vegas and therefore more side deals happened so the Knights are going to end up with a lot of picks. In 2000 it was basically like "you can have our 6th defenseman or our 13th forward. Good luck" and also we had to split the pool with another team so that didn't help matters. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, the league was happy to merely take money from Minnesota and Columbus, but Las Vegas has been their obsession for years, and they'll go very far to prove that they weren't being stupid this whole time, so of course Las Vegas is going to get as much help as they can reasonably give. They even let the team have Wyoming and Montana as television territory despite being nowhere near southern Nevada and yet I'm not even sure the Flyers can get their games on in State College. Does anyone even live in Wyoming and Montana? No, but it's the gesture behind it that counts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, the league was happy to merely take money from Minnesota and Columbus, but Las Vegas has been their obsession for years, and they'll go very far to prove that they weren't being stupid this whole time, so of course Las Vegas is going to get as much help as they can reasonably give. They even let the team have Wyoming and Montana as television territory despite being nowhere near southern Nevada and yet I'm not even sure the Flyers can get their games on in State College. Does anyone even live in Wyoming and Montana? No, but it's the gesture behind it that counts.

They finally did get Comcast Sportsnet Philly in State College. But it has only been about 10 years now. So, for years, Penn State students who were Flyers fans were stuck with Penguins games.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Here's my thoughts:

- It is irritating to me as a fan of one of the last two expansioneers that they're making it easier on VGK than they did for Minnesota and Columbus. The protected lists were smaller for Vegas and therefore more side deals happened so the Knights are going to end up with a lot of picks. In 2000 it was basically like "you can have our 6th defenseman or our 13th forward. Good luck" and also we had to split the pool with another team so that didn't help matters. 

Well, it's also worth mentioning that the previous two offseasons also had expansion drafts, and established teams were losing four players in three seasons.

22 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Nothing convenient about a hardy two-way hall of famer going down with a defense-poor, wobbly roster on the cusp of a transitional phase.  Just because it gives the Blackhawks some cap room doesn't mean they're a better team because of it - far from it.

A lot, and I mean a lot of non-Chicago fans are so salty over this, as if they just won the cup.  They got swept in embarrassing fashion in a first round romp, and that was with a healthy-ish (by NHL standards) roster after a middling, unremarkable season.  

I get the hate against these "favored" franchises, but if anyone thinks this is some grand shadow op by the NHL and the Blackhawks, take off the tinfoil hats and see the Blackhawks for what they are now, not what they were 2010-2015.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I hate (and I mean loathe) the Hawks, but this whole Hossa deal is basically business as usual. I find the specifics confusing, but only in a "huh...weird" way. There's no conspiracy here, just taking advantage of the system in a way that is wholly allowable.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Hmmm Jordan Eberle to play alongside Tavares at the cost of Strome...I'll take it.  Now I wonder if Garth can turn Travis Hamonic into Matt Duchene.

Every now and then Garth does something head scratchingly decent just not often enough to warrant me wanting him to stay as GM.

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

Hmmm Jordan Eberle to play alongside Tavares at the cost of Strome...I'll take it.  Now I wonder if Garth can turn Travis Hamonic into Matt Duchene.

Every now and then Garth does something head scratchingly decent just not often enough to warrant me wanting him to stay as GM.

Getting Chiarelli to make a dumb trade isn't very impressive.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

So Arizona got Hjalmarsson from Chicago for some prospects, and Stepan and Raanta from the Rangers for the 7th overall pick and a prospect. Not smart.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived