The 2017 NBA Playoffs: This Is A Recording

buzzcut

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks when you turn on a game at the end of the first quarter and it's already over :(

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Well of course it is; just the wrong mouth when he helped recruit Durant last summer.

I'm half expecting Ginobili to write an article in the Player's Tribune about how flopping has negatively affected the integrity of the game. :rolleyes:

As long as he's under contract with a team, why shouldn't he try to get the best players onto his team?

You can say the current system is flawed (and it is) but still take advantage of said system at the same time.

53 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Basketball has always been dominated by superstar play, but it's never been this boring.  The only basketball I like is playoff basketball, yet I haven't watched a minute of these playoffs.  It's felt useless so far.  Maybe the West finals could have some intrigue, but the only series where we don't have a good idea what the outcome would be is the NBA Finals.

Agreed. I think the antithesis of the NBA playoffs is the NHL playoffs, where predictability (the milkman, the paperboy, evening TV) is not an option. These playoffs have just been...boring. The only time I really tune into the NBA is in the playoffs, though I went on hiatus from them after the Celtics lost to the Lakers in the finals a number of years back. Truth be told, I was more pissed about Pau Gasol flopping after Rasheed Wallace's jersey almost hit him then I was with the Celtics losing. I still don't understand what a real foul is.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

post-65966-dwight-schrute-salute-gif-img

Godspeed, '16-'17 Jazz.

Honest to goodness my favorite Jazz team since Stockton and Malone. Hopefully they can keep Hayward and most of the .co to make a better run. But if not, well, this was one heck of a year. Proud of 'em.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Being on the juggernaut's side just feels kind of empty, especially when they beat teams like the Blazers and Jazz. I wish the best for them, and I look forward to seeing what they'll do next. 

I've never felt so disconnected from a team I've rooted for before. I like the winning, but I miss the character of the crappy Warriors. We had no expectations for them, and that was fun! It just feels less authentic now. Then again, the league will catch up eventually, and a new phase of elite teams will enter the mix. 

4 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

His point is valid, though.

How compelling....or lack thereof....have these NBA playoffs been?  Two sweeps by Cleveland and their coach is testing player rotations like it's preseason or it's January games.  The Warriors are a game away from two sweeps.  Whoever wins the Spurs/Rockets series won't be at full strength against Golden State.  Whoever wins the Wizards/Celtics series is going to get pants'ed by Cleveland.  Only one seeding upset, and that was a 4/5 series with the Clippers missing one of their better players.

Basketball has always been dominated by superstar play, but it's never been this boring.  The only basketball I like is playoff basketball, yet I haven't watched a minute of these playoffs.  It's felt useless so far.  Maybe the West finals could have some intrigue, but the only series where we don't have a good idea what the outcome would be is the NBA Finals.

It shows that you haven't watched the games. Cavs and Pacers went toe-to-toe at it till the very last seconds. Don't let the outcome fool you.

Warriors-Cavs definitely feels like a foregone conclusion, and has since before the season even began. That said, I'm totally down for a rubber match between the two. The moment game 7 ended last season, my first thought was about how much I wanted to see another series between those two. The only thing I would like more than that would have been if the Grizzlies were in the Finals. 

I also think a lot about the what if scenario of OKC holding on to Harden, Durant, and Westbrook. What a world that would be. 

6 hours ago, truepg said:

It shows that you haven't watched the games. Cavs and Pacers went toe-to-toe at it till the very last seconds. Don't let the outcome fool you.

The Pacers might have scratched out a win or two, but was there ever any doubt the Cavs weren't going to win that series?  That's my point.

I'm looking at this from the standpoint of "Will this game/series really matter?".  The Jazz/Clippers went 7....didn't get me excited because a Griffin-less Clippers team or a simply over-matched Jazz team were going to be tossed aside by Golden State in quick order.  Celtics/Wizards looks to be going 7....doesn't perk me up because the winner is going to get their dicks handed to them by Cleveland in the next round.  Spurs/Rockets would be something to watch if either had their full roster intact for the next series.

It's painfully obvious that the Warriors and Cavaliers are so much better than everyone else.  Even bothering to get invested in any series before the NBA Finals is similar to that degenerate gambler that's placing bets on the Tuesday night MAC football game "because it's football, dammit!".  Only the bigger basketball fans are watching these first couple rounds because there's no other alternative they have.

9 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

post-65966-dwight-schrute-salute-gif-img

Godspeed, '16-'17 Jazz.

Honest to goodness my favorite Jazz team since Stockton and Malone. Hopefully they can keep Hayward and most of the .co to make a better run. But if not, well, this was one heck of a year. Proud of 'em.

Are most of the guys FAs? They've got a solid core there. I don't even think they need to add much. The younger kids will be better and the division will still be theirs for the taking. 

sig.png

I've been reading NBA Reddit for the better part of a year now. My favorite part about it is previewing future Deadspin posts about a day before they're actually posted. It's like looking into a crystal ball.

And of course I realize most of the internet is working this way. User-produced content is shared on Reddit, then becomes the hot new trends throughout the usual suspects.

But specific to NBA Reddit, you'd think they'd be a little less overt about it.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What a game! Manu pretending it's 2006! LaMarcus taking over for a bit! Kawaii disappearing but the Spurs didn't lose! Danny Green closing it out!

That was great.

15 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

James Harden is a great player who's had a great year.

The last 7 minutes of tonight's game has put him out of the MVP race for me.

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Lucky for him MVP votes have already been cast.

Seven is the key number.

Due to the Nene injury, the Rockets only played seven guys last night and are likely to only play seven tomorrow.  those guys were really tired shooting all those jumpers.

Now, Leonard tweaked his ankle last night.  Does he play tomorrow, or will Pop sit him to be healthier for Game 7?

16 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

James Harden is a great player who's had a great year.

The last 7 minutes of tonight's game has put him out of the MVP race for me.

I'm sorry but this is stupid. The MVP is a regular season award, it should not count for the postseason. Just like all the arguments made against Trout were due to him playing on a poor team were bogus, a poor postseason performance should not negate a great regular season.

NSFCvyu.png

To go with your analogy, Trout is more like Westbrook this year. Very good player on a team that doesn't provide enough support for him. Harden is more like Kris Bryant where he is certainly a very good player, but he has help around him. I've seen the Rockets take control of games with him on the bench.

Personally, I believe these MVP type awards should take playoff performance into consideration in all sports. This is a hot take apparently, but I'll stand by it.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived