Which rebrands made this community react the most?

csura999

There's a few which stick out in my mind for either the anticipation or the immediate  reaction to the release.

-the Marlins, were we got a ton of reports about how it was revolutionary and while the switch to orange and black was widely known the reception was mixed. I distinctly remember the boards crashing during that release.

-the browns had probably the longest pre-release thread, between the city/team history argument, the gray facemask argument, discussions about what should be their logo, the rumours about a Paul brown silhouette logo, the teasers with the orange stitching who no one could figure out. And then of course the release with those awful pants. 

-the bucs and jaguars got slammed after the release.

- one that's been overlooked is the Lightning rebrand. Opinions were pretty strong on that one.

- for league wide threads, the Nike NFL takeover and the 2010? NBA REV30 switch with new uniforms for the Warriors, Clippers, Cavs, Jazz, Mavs and T-wolves, plus updates to numerous teams were discussed a lot. Wasn't there for the Nhl going to Edge.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EDGE was halley's comet. It feels unlikely that we'll see an entire league will undergo a complete overhaul all at once because a new company took over the license. And every day we got to dissect an unveiling or two or three. Most of them were bad too so we had a lot to critique. 

Those were tense times because the year leading up to that season there were rumors that the jerseys were gonna be tucked into the pants, they were gonna be ultra tight and form fitting. I wish I could tell myself at the time that everything eventually sorted itself out. The tucked in jerseys concept was thankfully axed and the players just went up a size bigger and the tight jersey thing kind of died on its own. 

Sure it led to the Oilers, Avalanche, Penguins, Senators, Islanders, Predators, Panthers, Stars, Flames and others wearing bad looks for a period, but most have been corrected and now the league is in a good place. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

47 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The EDGE was halley's comet. It feels unlikely that we'll see an entire league will undergo a complete overhaul all at once because a new company took over the license. And every day we got to dissect an unveiling or two or three. Most of them were bad too so we had a lot to critique. 

Those were tense times because the year leading up to that season there were rumors that the jerseys were gonna be tucked into the pants, they were gonna be ultra tight and form fitting. I wish I could tell myself at the time that everything eventually sorted itself out. The tucked in jerseys concept was thankfully axed and the players just went up a size bigger and the tight jersey thing kind of died on its own. 

Sure it led to the Oilers, Avalanche, Penguins, Senators, Islanders, Predators, Panthers, Stars, Flames and others wearing bad looks for a period, but most have been corrected and now the league is in a good place. 

I suppose that's a good thing to remember with any of these league-wide rebrands, or other much maligned trends that overtake a sport for a while. These things are all cyclical, and usually wind up ironing themselves out. Most 'cutting edge' modern designs wind up having a very short shelf life. The ones that linger around wind up sticking out like sore thumbs eventually (like the Falcons, Cardinals, Patriots, etc.). Of course, they often give way to equally poor newer designs, but there's plenty of cases of a team returning to their historic look that fits them best (Blue Jays, Canucks, Mets, etc.).

I suppose it can't be said for every trend - there's a few that have annoying stuck around and become permanent uniform features, like long pants in baseball or the ever-shortening sleeves in football. But by and large, these things will pass in time. I'm just glad it didn't take very long for most of the Edge-related trends to die out.

11 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

That's amazing given the number of people that have joined since then.

I do recall that being a really, really big day here.  That was a long time ago so I don't recall?  Did they avoid any leaks?  Maybe that's why we were all on...most big things since then have had leaks, leading us to trickle into the discussion.  Or maybe not.

I remember all of that as well.  And that is also when ColorWerx had his own forum page back when it was SSUR.  I was going back and forth and both of those on that day.  It was pretty big. 

As far as the leaks, I do not remember there being a lot if any.  Plus social media was not that big of a thing yet and that was back in 2005!  

Can we all accept that the intent of the thread is talk talk about uniform/logo changes that were a big deal around here and not worry about this definition?  I think we all understand where the OP was coming from.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 2017-04-14 at 1:55 PM, OnWis97 said:

Can we all accept that the intent of the thread is talk talk about uniform/logo changes that were a big deal around here and not worry about this definition?  I think we all understand where the OP was coming from.

Yep. 

I don't have a problem with the "what qualifies as a rebrand?" question. It's an interesting one to have. 

I'm just not sure it's appropriate to take away from the OP's question. So I moved all of the rebrand definition discussion here...

3 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Outside candidate: Charlotte Bobcats.

Long live the clear!

That was a good one, and brought us that running gag, but as an expansion team it wasn't nearly as controversial or divisive as the ones that were changes.  

I think Slug has to be #1.  I kinda think the TB Bucs might be #2, though that one snuck up on everyone whereas most of the others had some build up.  SD Chargers was pretty big too.  Miami Marlins was big too, but not in that top tier.

There were a few that legit crashed the boards - trying to recall which specific ones those were.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It might not have generated the most chatter, but the Buccaneers overhaul was interesting because I don't think anyone realized just how significant their changes would be. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I felt like the discussion ahead of their unveil was "some minor tweaks for Tampa," and then we got asymmetrical sleeve designs, chrome facemasks, oversized helmet logos and of course reflective digital alarm clock numbers.

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I've gone back to read a few of these..... one that I remember complete distaste for that hasn't been brought up is the Carolina Hurricanes current jerseys. Every one thought they were bland, boring & unimaginative.  

The hurricanes change was a tremor compared to the earthquakes some others have caused. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, twi said:

I wonder how big a reaction the first Bucs change would have received if this place were around like is today for it. That would be an interesting one to read. 

Imagine the boards going back decades...

...The Astros tequila sunrise uniforms, the Bengals tiger stripe helmets, the original Bucs expansion uniforms, the Pirates/A's colorful '70s uniforms.  There'd have been some spirited discussions and reactions.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived