buzzcut

2017 NBA Offseason: Feeling the Draft

327 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

 

They'll sign Paul George in summer 2018. If they do lose their picks, another option is trading assets -- I bet their 2017 1st rounder (Houston) and 2018 1st for George would get it done. Or some combo of Russell/Randle/Ingram/picks for George. Maybe if that happens Milsap gets interested?

 

Lakers couldn't trade their 2018 pick unless they got another, since they wouldn't have a first round pick in 2018 and 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's right. But I think the larger point remains -- if they lose their 2017 pick, they don't necessarily need to repeat 2017-18 with the same core. Their young assets are good enough that they can be moved for someone like an expiring Paul George.

 

The best scenario for the Lakers is they keep the pick, get someone good, hit 35-40 wins next season with their core, and then begin adding impact free agents like Paul George or other.

 

The worst is they flame out of the lottery, play 2017-18 with the same guys, plateau at 25-30 wins and become one of the NBA's lesser class.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melo & LaLa are divorcing.  She's preggers w/ his kid, also.  Things are going great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/15/2017 at 10:27 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

My team's in it, but the offseason is still going to be interesting. To be honest, I'm terrified at the prospect of Gordon Hayward taking off somewhere. Part of me wouldn't blame him, as he's made very clear he just wants to win and if he feels Boston or somewhere else is a better opportunity for him to do so than here, than all the best to him and no hard feelings. But I also really think if he stays, especially with Gobert becoming a potential all-star (who frankly got snubbed this year, if you ask me), I think we have a legit shot at the Finals if he rides it out just a tad longer. I really truly believe we've got the potential to be that great.

 

That said, if he does leave, I've got my Waterboy "WE SUCK AGAIN" .gif at the ready. Unless we make a crazy splash in free agency or get steal of the century in the draft, we'll be a solid five steps back in the process and we'll be limping into the playoffs, if in at all. This is SO much more of a make-or-break playoffs for us than people realize.

 

Whether Hayward stays or goes is definitely going to be my biggest concern over the summer, but of all the rumored teams that he could go or is currently on--Miami, Boston, Indiana, or Utah--the best opportunity for (continued) success is still Utah. Yes, I'm a homer (and yes, that's a term thrown being thrown around in this Jazz/Clippers series), but Miami missed out on the postseason, Boston blew 2 home games to 8-seeded Chicago, and Paul George is pointing fingers at his teammates in Indiana. Utah's biggest issue all year long has been a rash of (largely) freak injuries--of which Gordon himself has not been exempt--and the Jazz still managed to win 51 games in the Western Conference.

 

Granted, it's still early in the playoffs and the Heat made an incredible run after starting 11-30, not to mention other TBD teams making a run at him, but one would think that the best team for Gordon Hayward is the one he's currently on, especially if someone can find the person with all the voodoo dolls of Jazz players (Enes Kanter? Trey Burke or his parents? I dunno) and remove the curse over the course of over another year or two.

 

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

Melo & LaLa are divorcing.  She's preggers w/ his kid, also.  Things are going great.

 

I was feeling bad (and still kinda do) for Melo with all the Phil Jackson stuff, but I've also heard he impregnated the lady he was cheating on LaLa with. Make no mistake, my sympathy level dropped considerably after hearing that news.

 

Edited by DustDevil61
Boston, you don't need a comma, other teams, you need TBD
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Melo & LaLa are divorcing.  She's preggers w/ his kid, also.  Things are going great.

 

Maybe Melo can stop pretending that he needs to be in a megacity to further his ex-wife's career.

 

It's going to be funny when Melo gets traded for Kevin Love and both franchises fall apart.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

Maybe Melo can stop pretending that he needs to be in a megacity to further his ex-wife's career.

 

It's going to be funny when Melo gets traded for Kevin Love and both franchises fall apart.

Melo is worried about his money and trying to find somebody (-ies) to tell them to...

2007-05-29-stopsnitching_zpsmltxyxl4.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DustDevil61 said:

Whether Hayward stays or goes is definitely going to be my biggest concern over the summer, but of all the rumored teams that he could go or is currently on--Miami, Boston, Indiana, or Utah--the best opportunity for (continued) success is still Utah. Yes, I'm a homer (and yes, that's a term thrown being thrown around in this Jazz/Clippers series), but Miami missed out on the postseason, Boston, blew 2 home games to 8-seeded Chicago, and Paul George is pointing fingers at his teammates in Indiana. Utah's biggest issue all year long has been a rash of (largely) freak injuries--of which Gordon himself has not been exempt--and the Jazz still managed to win 51 games in the Western Conference.

 

Granted, it's still early in the playoffs and the Heat made an incredible run after starting 11-30, not to mention other teams making a run at him, but one would think that the best team for Gordon Hayward is the one he's currently on, especially if someone can find the person with all the voodoo dolls of Jazz players (Enes Kanter? Trey Burke or his parents? I dunno) and remove the curse over the course of over another year or two.

 

I agree that Utah is definitely his best chance for success, and Gobert's apparently pitching that to him as well (which is awesome; Gobert wants to win as much as he does). Hopefully Gordon will see that - and deep down, I think he will - and stay. If they can stay healthy and the voodoo stops (so true on that, by the way! 😂), I think they're a whole lot closer to contending than people think. With a little more seasoning and consistent health, they could beat anybody. Yes, anybody. I truly, truly believe that. And I don't think the same could be said of Miami, Boston, or Indiana with his addition. Boston maybe - and that's the scary team in this with the added Brad Stevens factor - but Boston's got other small problems to address first. Namely rebounding.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who's gonna drop $500 for those Lonzo Ball shoes?

 

I was thinking of getting the $1000 autographed version, but eventually I settled on buying the $220 big baller brand flip flops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

So who's gonna drop $500 for those Lonzo Ball shoes?

 

I was thinking of getting the $1000 autographed version, but eventually I settled on buying the $220 big baller brand flip flops

Is it expensive because it's made in the USA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's expensive because Lavarr Ball is a imbecile. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I neither mind Lowry staying nor leaving.  This team all but maxed out showed what its ceiling is in the current NBA landscape & that's fine.  If they reload with different players, I'm good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowry this summer: "I'm taking my talents to The Land"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lakers in 2019: Lowry, Paul George and Klay Thompson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best bet for Lowry is to join the Spurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 5:01 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

 

I agree that Utah is definitely his best chance for success, and Gobert's apparently pitching that to him as well (which is awesome; Gobert wants to win as much as he does). Hopefully Gordon will see that - and deep down, I think he will - and stay. If they can stay healthy and the voodoo stops (so true on that, by the way! 😂), I think they're a whole lot closer to contending than people think. With a little more seasoning and consistent health, they could beat anybody. Yes, anybody. I truly, truly believe that. And I don't think the same could be said of Miami, Boston, or Indiana with his addition. Boston maybe - and that's the scary team in this with the added Brad Stevens factor - but Boston's got other small problems to address first. Namely rebounding.

 

Yea, it would suck if he left. It seems like finally, after seasons of mediocrity and not being able to get over the hump, they're there. If he leaves, they're lottery bound again. 

 

Especially in the West, where after the Warriors, there's a lot of parity. At full strength, the Jazz would give San Antonio and Houston a tough time. Especially with the Clippers uncertainty, the Jazz are now grouped in that 2nd tier of SA, HOU and UTAH. The division is definitely theirs to lose.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

 

Yea, it would suck if he left. It seems like finally, after seasons of mediocrity and not being able to get over the hump, they're there. If he leaves, they're lottery bound again. 

 

Especially in the West, where after the Warriors, there's a lot of parity. At full strength, the Jazz would give San Antonio and Houston a tough time. Especially with the Clippers uncertainty, the Jazz are now grouped in that 2nd tier of SA, HOU and UTAH. The division is definitely theirs to lose.

The Jazz are not there. 

 

Basically, they are today's Western Conference equivalent of the 2011-13 Memphis Grizzlies but without the front office turmoil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think so. Those Grizzlies were pretty one-dimensional and weren't rising. They peaked. The Jazz are just getting there now. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

The Jazz are not there. 

 

Basically, they are today's Western Conference equivalent of the 2011-13 Memphis Grizzlies but without the front office turmoil. 

 

If not there, they're close. They won 51 games, placed just outside of that 2nd tier in the West Standings, and won the Northwest with a consistently hobbled roster and, even with the additions of Diaw, Johnson, and Hill, a whole lot of youth. Better health fortunes and another year of on-the-go development (which this year provided a whole lot of already), and I fully believe they'll be there

 

A Grizzlies comparison is close, but as mentioned, that was a peaked team. The Jazz - given at least a good part of that core stays - are most certainly not that. And even if some pieces fall out, Dennis Lindsey is a freaking genius. I fully trust him to put the right pieces in, much like he did last offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Mon Apr 17 2017 at 8:58 AM, kimball said:

 

Lakers couldn't trade their 2018 pick unless they got another, since they wouldn't have a first round pick in 2018 and 2019.

If Lakers get the 3rd pick, will they get to keep it? Is Ball guaranteed to go 1st or 2nd? Will it be a blessing in disguise if LA loses out on the Ball sweepstakes?  I just totally see it becoming more of a Johnny Football situation as opposed to a Russell Westbrook pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Nets fan. This thread is about as irrelevant to me as the playoff one.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now