25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Embiid, to Simmons, in response to LaVar Ball guaranteeing a Lakers playoff run:

*Simmons does that, blows the landing and pulls a Shaun Livingston.*

THE PROCESS HAS FAILED.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

A lot of the current crop of stars were drafted ~ 2008-2011. Let's see where we are in 2020 and who's running the league then. Maybe it's the Warriors. Maybe it's the Wolves.

This is accurate. Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Love, Rose, etc. were all drafted between 2007-11 and became superstars stalwarts for their teams. Giving the young guys a few more years to get acclimated only makes sense, not everyone is a Jordan or LBJ (and even they didn't win in their early years).

NSFCvyu.png

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

You'll also note that the list is top heavy, showing that it generally takes a season or three for talent to mature into superstar status. Five guys play at a time. Established guys are better conditioned than they were a generation ago. A lot of the current crop of stars were drafted ~ 2008-2011. Let's see where we are in 2020 and who's running the league then. Maybe it's the Warriors. Maybe it's the Wolves.

The league has problems, but it doesn't make sense pretending that incoming talent is no good. It just needs time.

20 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

This is accurate. Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Love, Rose, etc. were all drafted between 2007-11 and became superstars stalwarts for their teams. Giving the young guys a few more years to get acclimated only makes sense, not everyone is a Jordan or LBJ (and even they didn't win in their early years).

These players may need time, but that's part of the problem...once they start rounding into form, their contracts are up and they start looking to team up, or they start eating more cap space and their teams can't do as much in free agency.  And that's if there aren't coaching or front office changes within those first few seasons.  Very rarely do you see franchises granting time to coaches, GM's, and players in the NBA today.

And, this also gives some validity to "The Process".  Great, generational talents don't go hitless when it comes to making All-Star teams or All-NBA teams in their first three seasons.  The Sixers, and rightly so, aren't going to stink and collect first round picks just to draft good-to-really-good players. Those guys won't get you past the conference finals.  They're wanting those game-changing great players that'll get them to the NBA Finals and win championships.

#1 overall picks are supposed to be those franchise-changing guys.  Lottery picks are supposed to be really good players.  What the last few drafts have shown is that a vast majority of these 180 first round selections are players that are dime-a-dozen.  5% of all the first round picks in the previous six drafts have made an All-Star appearance (Or 7% of all the lottery picks the last six drafts). 0% of the lottery picks from the 2013-2016 drafts have made an All-Star team.  This should be an indictment on the lack of quality coming out of these last few drafts, and why the Sixers have been smart enough to see that they'd just be wasting their assets for what's been coming out lately.

Cleveland  Cavaliers during LeBron's first stint:

35-47 (missed playoffs)

40-42 (missed playoffs)

50-32 (4th seed, lost 2nd round to Detroit)

50-32 (2nd seed, lost NBA Finals to San Antonio)

45-37 (4th seed, lost 2nd round to Boston)

66-16 (1st seed, lost Conference Finals to Orlando)

61-21 (1st seed, lost Semis to Boston)

So, what can this tell adherents of The Process?

1.  If your goal is to be in a position to get the literal generational talent because that is the only thing that can get you a championship, well....the literal generational talent is not a guarantee of winning an NBA championship, because the Cavs had his services for 7 years and didn't win one that first go around..

2.  The literal generational talent isn't even a guarantee of having a realistic shot of winning a championship.  That Cleveland team in year four had no business being on the same floor as San Antonio, and overachieved heavily just by having LeBron will them past Detroit.  It's only Years 6 and 7 that the Cavs were serious title contenders, which means it took a lot of time to not only give LeBron the needed experience to develop and succeed, but also, and this is key, YOU CAN'T BANK ON JUST BUILDING A CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER BY AMASSING HIGH LOTTERY PICKS BECAUSE THOSE LATTER CAV TEAMS HAD VETERANS SIGN ON.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

40 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

#1 overall picks are supposed to be those franchise-changing guys.  Lottery picks are supposed to be really good players.  What the last few drafts have shown is that a vast majority of these 180 first round selections are players that are dime-a-dozen.  5% of all the first round picks in the previous six drafts have made an All-Star appearance (Or 7% of all the lottery picks the last six drafts). 0% of the lottery picks from the 2013-2016 drafts have made an All-Star team.  This should be an indictment on the lack of quality coming out of these last few drafts, and why the Sixers have been smart enough to see that they'd just be wasting their assets for what's been coming out lately.

Gotta disagree. The #1 overall is just the best player/athlete available, no more no less. Plus, some are still 18 when drafted.

As far as All Star game appearances in a player's first three seasons, 10 of the 24 spots are fan votes. Not much ofba shot there, then the coaches don't necessarily vote for rookies and 2nd year dudes since they have their own game that weekend.

Derrick Rose was MVP and 1st team All-NBA in his third season. Westbrook, also in the same draft class with Rose, was 2nd team All-NBA in 2010-11. Blake Griffin was in the ASG in his rookie season and All-NBA 2nd team in year 2. Lilliard was 3rd team All-NBA in year 2. Anthony Davis has been All-NBA twice and he's only 24.  No draftee of the last three years is All-NBA because those before them, especially the 1&Done guys are now grown, experienced men who are now turning 23, 24, and 25.

Sure, there's no guarantee in getting a championship if you land that generational talent.  But, it's a bigger guarantee that you won't win a championship if you don't have that generational talent.

When the best example of "You don't need a superstar player to win an NBA title!" is a team that won 13 years ago, it's a pretty clear assumption that you do need to have a superstar, Hall of Fame, generational player to get an NBA championship.

If you're content with 50-55 wins, being an annual 3-6 seed in the playoffs, and topping out at the conference finals...feel free to settle for really good players.

The Warriors won a title without tanking. The Wolves look awesome without tanking. The Celtics are doing the process without tanking.

Again, the Sixers may be great and if so good for them. But it'll only be because they stopped putting all of their eggs in the draft basket and started developing an actual team like grown ups. Hinkie was a charlatan with simple ideas that were confused for genius. I hope the Sixers are good. The Colangelos have done a good job resussictating the team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Warriors got super lucky.  You said good players don't want to play with Wolves.  Celtics got lucky that someone made a silly trade with them so they have the assets without needing to lose for them.

Every argument that's been made over the last few pages validates the need for the process.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Warriors got super lucky.  You said good players don't want to play with Wolves.  Celtics got lucky that someone made a silly trade with them so they have the assets without needing to lose for them.

Every argument that's been made over the last few pages validates the need for the process.

You mean because Hinkie was too incompetent to do it through any other means than drag fans through the mud for 4 years and then play like he's the smartest man in the room. If he was he would have drafted the players the warriors did, if he was he would have made the trades the celtics did rather than them. But he decided to rather than scout good players he chose 3 big men in consecutive drafts, he decided to take the easy way rather than the smart way. He chose to rather than persuade teams to give him necessary assets to complete the process while still fielding a competitive team be was was going to tear the team down and let it be a bottom feeder for a half decade with no guarantee of being even a top 4 seed in the foreseeable future. They very well could be but it was a lot of misery to put fans through for the very unlikely rewards he was hoping for.

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No it doesn't because even if you pick at the top of the draft you still have to get "super lucky". It's luck that even if you win the lottery that guy you take has to be good, the actual best player in the draft, doesn't get injured, and you hold the #1 pick in a year when one of those generational talents comes along and that is very rare. The Blazers drafted Greg Oden #1 overall not that long ago. 

A good player might want to play with the Wolves now that they've assembled a good team with a coach and it looks like they're trying to compete. Same with Milwaukee. No free agent is saying that about the 76ers right now because it's a loser organization. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Warriors hit home runs on recent draft picks, including guys like Ian Clarke, McCaw, and now they bought Bell from Chicago. The Spurs have a strong history of finding gems later in the draft. If you emphasize scouting and player development you can build without tanking.  The Sixers went looking for shortcuts. Maybe it'll pay off; who knows. But I don't think the ends will have justified the means because other teams don't meet to throw away seasons to rebuild.

I like how in all the #process hysteria we pretend Okafor and Noel don't exist. One of those guys is even still on the team. They don't count?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Can we agree that the NBA draft is way better than the NFL? I know that there are five times as many players who need to be drafted into football, but one evening compared to four days is so much better.

Though I do like the NFL bringing in team reps for later rounds. Maybe the NBA can do that in round 2 next year?

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

The Warriors hit home runs on recent draft picks, including guys like Ian Clarke, McCaw, and now they bought Bell from Chicago. The Spurs have a strong history of finding gems later in the draft. If you emphasize scouting and player development you can build without tanking.  The Sixers went looking for shortcuts. Maybe it'll pay off; who knows. But I don't think the ends will have justified the means because other teams don't meet to throw away seasons to rebuild.

I like how in all the #process hysteria we pretend Okafor and Noel don't exist. One of those guys is even still on the team. They don't count?

The Warriors buy 2nd round picks and use them for serviceable bench minutes better than any other team.

I think next year is the year the Wolves finally get back to the playoffs. Hell, they could actually win their weak division if all the pieces come together.

Towns, Wiggins and Butler all on the court at the same time has to be one of the scariest trios in the league after Curry/Durant/Thompson and Lebron/Irving/Love, especially with Rubio feeding them passes. 

sig.png

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Can we agree that the NBA draft is way better than the NFL? I know that there are five times as many players who need to be drafted into football, but one evening compared to four days is so much better.

Though I do like the NFL bringing in team reps for later rounds. Maybe the NBA can do that in round 2 next year?

I disagree.  The NBA is far worse.

1. The majority of players picked in the NBA draft are never going to amount to anything (if they even play one minute in the league).  3rd and even 4th round picks are expected to get shots at legit playing time (maybe even starting) in the NFL draft.  There's even intrigue in the 5th and sometimes 6th round.

2.  The trades!  The NBA is stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.  Stupid.  Godsdamned stupid.  Just announce the freaking trade prior to the pick and let the guy wear the right hat.  We all know player A isn't going to play for team X.  Enough with the charade.  NBA has the hardest to follow rules when it comes to everything off the court.  It's stupid.

3.  Crowd reactions.  NFL draft seems like more of a party atmosphere with drunk hooligans hooliganing. The NBA draft seems kinda like a business meeting, except in most business meetings the participants have more than 0-1 year of post high-school education.  The suits are (usually) flashier and more interesting at the draft though.

4.  Celebrity guest announcers.  The thing where the Cowboys player trolled Eagles fans by cutting a promo before announcing Dallas' pick was fantastic.

I'll give you that one day is better than three, but I'll take the NFL's former 2-day plan over the NBA.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I disagree.  The NBA is far worse.

1. The majority of players picked in the NBA draft are never going to amount to anything (if they even play one minute in the league).  3rd and even 4th round picks are expected to get shots at legit playing time (maybe even starting) in the NFL draft.  There's even intrigue in the 5th and sometimes 6th round.

2.  The trades!  The NBA is stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.  Stupid.  Godsdamned stupid.  Just announce the freaking trade prior to the pick and let the guy wear the right hat.  We all know player A isn't going to play for team X.  Enough with the charade.  NBA has the hardest to follow rules when it comes to everything off the court.  It's stupid.

3.  Crowd reactions.  NFL draft seems like more of a party atmosphere with drunk hooligans hooliganing. The NBA draft seems kinda like a business meeting, except in most business meetings the participants have more than 0-1 year of post high-school education.  The suits are (usually) flashier and more interesting at the draft though.

4.  Celebrity guest announcers.  The thing where the Cowboys player trolled Eagles fans by cutting a promo before announcing Dallas' pick was fantastic.

I'll give you that one day is better than three, but I'll take the NFL's former 2-day plan over the NBA.

2. I TOTALLY agree! Before 1987 trades weren't allowed to be announced until AFTER the draft. Don't ask me why I know this? I love the NFL Draft rules. Let the picks be traded right up to the buzzer! Give us some intrigue! 

4. PLEASE! Adam Silver and Mark Tatum's voices ANNOY me to no end. Adam sounds like a school yard bullied hemophiliac and Mark like someone who's had too many cups of coffee and is just happy to be there. Give the mic to someone else, especially local/team celebrities!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Who's ready for the annoying ball family 

I hope Lonzo does well in Los Angeles, but can somebody... anybody please put a muzzle on his father's mouth? The dude runs his mouth all the time... I'm kinda hoping that someone actually smacks in the yap and knock some sense into him.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I think next year is the year the Wolves finally get back to the playoffs. Hell, they could actually win their weak division if all the pieces come together.

Towns, Wiggins and Butler all on the court at the same time has to be one of the scariest trios in the league after Curry/Durant/Thompson and Lebron/Irving/Love, especially with Rubio feeding them passes. 

They don't attempt/make enough 3PT shots. Together, Wiggins and Towns average 2/7 from 3PT per game.

Archived