I read that Reddit thread last night. A lot of perving and Mallory and, I believe, her younger sister.

The Ringer has been all Celtics all the time. It's getting bad.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Edens is the daughter of the Bucks owner was at the Draft Lottery that one year which essentially changed the rules for who represents teams.

How did rules Chg?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lots of rumors flying around that Jerry West might be headed to the Clippers. Needless to say, this would be huge for a franchise that has never really had anyone competent running the show. West would bring the professionalism, knowledge and respectability that have been lacking even in the early years of the Ballmer era.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don't think front office hirings mean that much in the NBA unless they luck into drafting a premier player.  Free agents tend to go where they have the easiest chance to get a ring or whichever team will grossly overpay them.

He's helped the Lakers, Grizzlies and Warriors. Why not the Clippers? Are they still looking at having their own arena? Even though Ballmer owns them I can't see them relocating to Seattle. 

10 minutes ago, Wings said:

He's helped the Lakers, Grizzlies and Warriors. Why not the Clippers? Are they still looking at having their own arena? Even though Ballmer owns them I can't see them relocating to Seattle. 

The Lakers had Kobe Bryant, the Warriors have Steph Curry.  Premier players acquired on draft night .  The Grizzlies, devoid of a premier player, was 4 wins short of the NBA Finals.  A pylon could have been GM of the Lakers and Warriors and they'd still have won their titles.

If you don't have a premier player or MVP, your ceiling is the conference finals, maybe.  If you're not a destination city and have no local connection, you have no chance to retain players.

The Hawks just hired the Warriors assistant GM as their GM.  It feels meaningless because it doesn't mean much unless he's bringing Curry and Durant along with him to Atlanta.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The reason for Jerry West to work for Balmer is twofold.

1- Get more control and more $$$.

2- Get more $$$ for your kids by bringing them with you. Jonnie is currently working with the Warriors and his youngest, Ryan, age 27, works for the Lakers.

16 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't think front office hirings mean that much in the NBA unless they luck into drafting a premier player.  Free agents tend to go where they have the easiest chance to get a ring or whichever team will grossly overpay them.

Ask a Nets fan how much front office hirings mean in the NBA. Given how complex the salary cap and the CBA are in general, one bad GM can kill a franchise for a very long time. Asset management is always important regardless of which stage your team is at in the building process, and it's going to be even more important going forward because the latest CBA is extremely restrictive on player movement. Additionally, the crazy salary cap spike ends after this summer and things will start to normalize on that front again. This means it's absolutely critical for teams to scout well, draft well, develop talent and spend their money wisely.

Doc Rivers has been an unmitigated disaster in all phases as the president of basketball operations and de facto GM. Instead of surrounding himself with qualified executives to teach him the basics, he's surrounded himself with yes-men like Lawrence Frank who are just as unqualified as he is. He has not drafted well. He's blown all our cap flexibility while failing to make an impact signing. He's traded several of our upcoming first-round picks away for other teams' garbage (those picks are protected, but that means we have to go back to sucking in order to be able to use them). Speaking of trades, he's never won a trade he's been involved in. Most of the time, his trades have been met with instant anger from Clipper fans and mockery from the rest of the NBA, and it's always been justified. Our win totals have declined every year of the Doc era, yet the payroll has kept bloating up. We've essentially wasted the prime years of the Blake/CP3/DJ core because of him.

In contrast, Jerry West has won seven championships as an executive and could soon add #8. He built two dynasties in LA, a champion in the Bay Area, and he put the Grizzlies on the map when they were practically a non-entity in this league. 'Nuff said.

xLmjWVv.png

13 hours ago, The Six said:

There's not much Jerry West can do to help the Clippers as they are at this point, unless he can "advise" them to magically get their draft picks back.

The picks Doc traded away are lottery protected, if West and whoever he brings in with him want to go that route. If not, I could see DJ fetching a substantial return in a trade. His value is probably the highest it will ever be right now coming off All-Star and All-NBA appearances. The Clippers are in a tough spot at the moment, but it's not too hopeless for a competent front office to fix our mess.

xLmjWVv.png

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The Clips still have an elite PG, elite PF and an all star Center. This is assuming Paul and Griffin re-sign. They need some grit, depth and magical healing powers. They can't stay healthy. 

Chris Paul is being linked to signing with the spurs, and there is talk of them not wanting griffin back so the organizations future isn't looking so hot right now.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Chris Paul is being linked to signing with the spurs, and there is talk of them not wanting griffin back so the organizations future isn't looking so hot right now.

I know, but I can't see Paul turning down all that extra money and the other intangibles that come with playing in L.A. to go to the Spurs. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I feel. 

sig.png

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I know, but I can't see Paul turning down all that extra money and the other intangibles that come with playing in L.A. to go to the Spurs. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I feel. 

Paul's running out of time to be a star-quality player on a real championship contender.  And Paul isn't exactly clipping coupons.  Money won't be a factor.

The window the Clippers had is closing quickly, if not already closed.  At their best, the Clippers weren't getting more than a couple games from the Warriors.  Golden State isn't coming back to the pack any time soon, and outside of the Spurs.....no one is anywhere close to realistically competing with the Warriors.  The Clippers, as they're constructed now, won't be much more than what they are now....fighting for the 4th seed.

On 6/3/2017 at 11:19 AM, HedleyLamarr said:

Paul's running out of time to be a star-quality player on a real championship contender.  And Paul isn't exactly clipping coupons.  Money won't be a factor.

The window the Clippers had is closing quickly, if not already closed.  At their best, the Clippers weren't getting more than a couple games from the Warriors.  Golden State isn't coming back to the pack any time soon, and outside of the Spurs.....no one is anywhere close to realistically competing with the Warriors.  The Clippers, as they're constructed now, won't be much more than what they are now....fighting for the 4th seed.

In related news, if LeBron, having already fulfilled his promise of bringing a title to Cleveland last year, does bolt once again in 2018 (after potentially two consecutive runs of four trips to the Finals), Los Angeles could present an opportunity to both win a title as well as taking on the ultimate challenge of winning a title for the Clippers. The Lakers organization is more glamorous, but aside from the Spurs (and maybe Utah), the Clippers are the likeliest team to be able to get past Golden State.

Archived