In Defense of Comic Sans (For Non-Stylistic Reasons)

leopard88

This is an interesting (and brief) article.  Apparently, Comic Sans is easier to read for people with dyslexia because it has few repeating and/or mirrored shapes.

Read This Before You Ever Make Fun of Comic Sans Again

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Never got why it's so hated in the first place. Alright, it's not the most professional-looking font, but so what? There are tons of fonts and it doesn't look any worse than most of them. It's just something people jump on because it's the cool thing to do.

41 minutes ago, The Six said:

Never got why it's so hated in the first place. Alright, it's not the most professional-looking font, but so what? There are tons of fonts and it doesn't look any worse than most of them. It's just something people jump on because it's the cool thing to do.

My opinion exactly. It sure as hell isn't my favorite font, (Circular Std is) but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

6 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

My mom is a kindergarten teacher and it bugs me how much she uses Comic Sans, but she says that it actually helps the kids learn the alphabet and they can trace it easier. 

I feel like a kindergarten classroom is one of very few places where comic sans is actually appropriate. 

spacer.png

People don't jump on it because it's the "cool thing to do."  They jump on it because it looks truly awful.  There a tons of "unprofessional" looking fonts that are a huge step up from Comic Sans.  I hate group think as much as the next person but this is one case where it's completely justified.

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

People don't jump on it because it's the "cool thing to do."  They jump on it because it looks truly awful.  There a tons of "unprofessional" looking fonts that are a huge step up from Comic Sans.  I hate group think as much as the next person but this is one case where it's completely justified.

I think it's justified, but it also became a movement that for whatever reason caught on with comic sans and not with other fonts. Non-design people know that's the font they're not supposed to like when yes there are much worse fonts*. I want to say it was around the time Dan Gilbert used it in his letter after Lebron left Cleveland. 

*my personal hated fonts are Impact, Papyrus, Courier, Algerian, Brush Script, Bankgothic

PvO6ZWJ.png

21 hours ago, McCarthy said:

my personal hated fonts are Impact, Papyrus, Courier, Algerian, Brush Script, Bankgothic

Are you saying Courier as opposed to Courier New?  If you are lumping them together, that strikes me as strange.  It's hard to imagine anyone including the standard equal-width typewriter font on his/her most hated list.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On Wed Apr 19 2017 at 11:26 AM, DiePerske said:

Anything besides Times New Roman bugs me. That's the only font I'll accept on papers and the like, haha.

I remember that my school's Macintosh had Palatino and no Times New Roman.

Archived