Unrelated Teams with Related Names...

ColeJ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a few short months we'll have the "Golden Knights" and "Kings" in the same league. Kind of silly naming a team after a mascot that has to swear fealty to another team's.

Also less related but still interesting is you have the "Padres" and "Angels" squaring off.

Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys is a great one.

Kings and Knights is another brilliant point. How weird is it for your division rival's mascot to be your mascot's boss?

Mavericks and Bulls might be considered one, too. All Mavericks have a Bull as their daddy.

Padres and Angels, if you go religious. Maybe Padres and Twins, for the same reasons as Bulls and Mavs if you go literal with the father part. Lol.

This is semi-related, but a lot of colleges have mascots tied to their state's identity. For example, the State of Nebraska is known as the Cornhusker State.  Hoosiers, Sooners, Beavers, and a few others are taken from the official state nicknames. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 4/16/2017 at 9:50 PM, pianoknight said:

The one I appreciate is Chicago having both Bears and Cubs. 

Also, many WNBA teams took their names or colors from their NBA team equivalents. 

Bulls and Bears, both stock market terms

On 4/17/2017 at 11:08 AM, Rj0498 said:

NFL: Panthers and Jaguars (fun fact: panthers are not real they are technically either leopards or jaguars)

Panthers, Jaguars, Bengals and Lions, all cats

Ravens, Seahawks, Cardinals, Falcons, Eagles, all birds

Angels (MLB) vs. Devils (NHL)

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

This may or may not fit the theme, but as a hockey fan in Dallas, it gets confusing having a Rangers play against the Dallas hockey team when there is also a Rangers sharing a market (and once an owner) with the team.

Also if we are talking same-city stuff, it must have been odd for local Cowboys fans in 1993 to have the new hockey team name themselves Stars when their own team's logo was literally just a Dallas Star. I don't remember because I was a recently transplanted 9 year old at the time.

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

This may or may not fit the theme, but as a hockey fan in Dallas, it gets confusing having a Rangers play against the Dallas hockey team when there is also a Rangers sharing a market (and once an owner) with the team.

Also if we are talking same-city stuff, it must have been odd for local Cowboys fans in 1993 to have the new hockey team name themselves Stars when their own team's logo was literally just a Dallas Star. I don't remember because I was a recently transplanted 9 year old at the time.

Now just imagine if the Edmonton Oilers had actually moved to Houston in 1998

On 4/16/2017 at 11:08 PM, Rj0498 said:

MLB: Marlins and Rays ( sea creature themed teams based in florida)

Wrong. The Marlins are currently about Miami art deco colors and the Rays are currently rays of sunshine. Totally unrelated. 

(I'm being facetious :D ... I know what you meant, though the Rays are definitely trying to be sunshine before being a sea creature)

You can find Predators, Hawks, Avalanches, Stars, Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes, (Canucks? And would that mean Canadiens too?) Maple Leafs, sometimes Flames, Oil, Panthers, Lightning, The Jersey Devil, Penguins, Bears, which are sometimes called Bruins, Hurricanes, Thrashers, Seals, Rockies, Cougars, Falcons, Tigers, usually Scouts and Whalers, Bulldogs and Eagles all in the Wild...

And depending on when and where, maybe Blue Jackets, Sabres, Jets, and Americans... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

44 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

You can find Predators, Hawks, Avalanches, Stars, Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes, (Canucks? And would that mean Canadiens too?) Maple Leafs, sometimes Flames, Oil, Panthers, Lightning, The Jersey Devil, Penguins, Bears, which are sometimes called Bruins, Hurricanes, Thrashers, Seals, Rockies, Cougars, Falcons, Tigers, usually Scouts and Whalers, Bulldogs and Eagles all in the Wild...

And depending on when and where, maybe Blue Jackets, Sabres, Jets, and Americans... 

Is outerspace considered the wilderness?

Also, I don't think you'll be finding any jersey devils anywhere. Lol.

And just for the sake of cutesy rivalry, I contest that outerspace isn't the wilderness, and every single thing in the wilderness would be a frozen barren lifeless wasteland without the energy of stars, which literally fuel life on Earth. :P

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This isn't a literal relationship, it's more about the alphabet and the grammar but the Marlins and Mariners can be a total pain to say together. They rarely play each other but they're playing this week and it's killing me already after just one game. 

Or Reds and Redsox. 

Red's Ox. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Then they shouldn't have a sea creature on the sleeves of their jerseys. 

c6s_dnavaswing080815_15678587_8col.jpg

They're trying to have it both ways, which is never good. 

Just ask the Blue Jackets, who tried to fit 3 meanings in. lol.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Then they shouldn't have a sea creature on the sleeves of their jerseys. 

c6s_dnavaswing080815_15678587_8col.jpg

They're trying to have it both ways, which is never good. 

Agreed but the way I remember it from their rebrand, they put the Rays of sunshine theme first and the devil ray on the sleeve was meant as an homage to their previous identity. Like moving forward without forgetting their past. Silly I know but that was the explanation. 

Hopefully this is in the right spirit:

A Sabre is a weapon that a Blue Jacket officer would have carried.

The Preds took the Sabres' mascot and turned it into their identity.

The Canucks' orca logo only appeared after the Whalers went away.

There is a team called the Stars, and three other NHL teams have stars in their primary logos.

The Blues and the Flyers came into the league in the same year, and they have similar wing-y shapes in their logos.

The Bills and the New York Rangers are both New York State RWB teams whose names are based on Western-themed puns that don't really translate into their identity at all.

Archived