Unrelated Teams with Related Names...

ColeJ

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The obvious logo should have been the Stinger logo in a Union soldier's uniform while wearing a comical Native headdress.

slap a huge back-patch of that logo on the back of a blue jean jacket, and you're getting somewhere.

what am i wearing? just my blue blue jackets blue jean jacket. you like it?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, KDubK414 said:

Along with Rangers and perhaps Cowboys (NFL), I like that 2 Wisconsin teams are named after occupations, Brewers (MLB) and Packers (NFL). 

Brewers make the beer, the Packers organize and ship it off in waves to make Bucks for the entire operation

ATL

The Pistons and Red Wings. -  Car parts --  Piston and Wheel

OH MY! -- as in Lions, Tigers and Bears, Oh my!

(Colorado) Rockies and (WVU) Mountaineers

(ASU) Sun, (Duke) Blue and (NJ) Devils

(Utah) Jazz and (STL) Blues

• 3 weeks later...

Patriotic themed names:

America in General:

New York YANKEES (nickname for Americans)

Philadelphia 76ERS (declaration of independence in 1776)

New England PATRIOTS (duh?)

Washington CAPITALS (DC the capital obviously)

Dallas STARS (50 of them in the USA flag)

New England REVOLUTION (American revolution)

Canada in general:

Montreal Canadiens ("Canadien" is technically "Canadian" in French though in this sense, it refers to FRENCH/FRANCOPHONE Canadians)

Toronto Maple Leafs (in Canada's flag)

Vancouver CANUCKS (see New York Yankees but apply for Canadians)

On 5/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Patriotic themed names:

America in General:

New York YANKEES (nickname for Americans)

Philadelphia 76ERS (declaration of independence in 1776)

New England PATRIOTS (duh?)

Washington CAPITALS (DC the capital obviously)

Dallas STARS (50 of them in the USA flag)

New England REVOLUTION (American revolution)

Canada in general:

Montreal Canadiens ("Canadien" is technically "Canadian" in French though in this sense, it refers to FRENCH/FRANCOPHONE Canadians)

Toronto Maple Leafs (in Canada's flag)

Vancouver CANUCKS (see New York Yankees but apply for Canadians)

More like they just kept the name when they moved... The North Stars were named after just that, the North Star, since Minnesota is nicknamed the North Star State... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, chcarlson23 said:

More like they just kept the name when they moved... The North Stars were named after just that, the North Star, since Minnesota is nicknamed the North Star State... 

agreed. there is nothing patriotic about the dallas stars/minnesota north stars identities. just a coincidence that they play in a country with stars on the flag, really.

btw, i'm thankful to see this thread bumped. i just totally re-read it all and enjoyed the nerdiness it brings.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2017 at 4:36 PM, chcarlson23 said:

You can find Predators, Hawks, Avalanches, Stars, Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes, (Canucks? And would that mean Canadiens too?) Maple Leafs, sometimes Flames, Oil, Panthers, Lightning, The Jersey Devil, Penguins, Bears, which are sometimes called Bruins, Hurricanes, Thrashers, Seals, Rockies, Cougars, Falcons, Tigers, usually Scouts and Whalers, Bulldogs and Eagles all in the Wild...

And depending on when and where, maybe Blue Jackets, Sabres, Jets, and Americans... 

What about (Park) Rangers

On 4/16/2017 at 6:57 PM, Ice_Cap said:

They would have been, but the English Civil War really demonstrated the shortcomings fedual-style armies faced when up against a fully professional army like the one Parliament had. Cromwell's Parliamentary "New Model Army" rendered the Cavaliers as a "class" of warriors obsolete. 

So while a lot of former Cavaliers were certainly royalist mavericks during the interregnum republic the actual class of soldier was more or less dead.

So much so that when the monarchy was restored Charles II just kept Parliament's New Model Army rather than rely on feudal conscription.

So you had an interesting case where a professional republican army was swearing alliegnece to the king while the cavaliers said army made obsolete just became officers :D [/nerd] 

8AQLjh1Kyy-8.png

There are Kings in both the NBA and NHL who play in the same state and will need Warriors to figure out who reigns supreme while the clan of Royals is over in Kansas City.

14 hours ago, tp49 said:

There are Kings in both the NBA and NHL who play in the same state and will need Warriors to figure out who reigns supreme while the clan of Royals is over in Kansas City.

Both have used Purple in their history (1 of them still does).

Both of their glory years was when NBC showed the playoffs.

New York Titans (now Jets) and Tennessee Titans (who were the Houston then Tennessee Oilers).

When I was a kid, the Jets and the Oilers could hypothetically be playing each other twice at the same time, in different sports and different countries.

I wonder if a NYJ/HOU game ever happened simultaneously with a WPG/EDM game.

Or any combination of those teams with the Florida and Carolina Panthers.

14 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

When I was a kid, the Jets and the Oilers could hypothetically be playing each other twice at the same time, in different sports and different countries.

I wonder if a NYJ/HOU game ever happened simultaneously with a WPG/EDM game.

Or any combination of those teams with the Florida and Carolina Panthers.

None of those three matchups has ever occurred in multiple leagues on the same day, although there have been a few near misses.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived