Victormrey

MLB in 2020 - Texas Rangers (15/30)

278 posts in this topic

Awesome! Unlike the Rays, there's nothing I would change. ;)

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was easy, great job! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before starting with the ALC, I'd like to set what I'm going to do with the Cleveland team.

 

I'm pretty sure sooner or later the team will drop the Indians identity altogether.

At first, I thought on going for the Spiders, given it was their former name. But doing a small research, I came up with other options:

-Cleveland Blues/Bluebirds (used from 1882 to 1884)

-Cleveland Broncos (proposed by the players in 1902)

-Cleveland Napoleons (adopted in 1903)

-Cleveland Elites (team from the Negro League in 1926).

Also, I've had other two ideas:

-Cleveland Rockers (the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland)

-Cleveland Browns (bringing back the St. Louis Browns look)

 

Which name do you prefer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're gonna change it, I vote for the 'Spiders.'

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

Before starting with the ALC, I'd like to set what I'm going to do with the Cleveland team.

 

I'm pretty sure sooner or later the team will drop the Indians identity altogether.

That will never happen.  Cleveland dropping the Indians name is in the same chances of happening as Manchester United changing their crest because there is a devil in it.  Or Real Madrid changing their name to FC Madrid because they want to distance themselves from the crown in a pro democracy demonstration.

 

They'll ditch their offensive Chief Wahoo, finally, and move forward with the Indian identity.

 

Of course this is a concept forum so certainly you should explore alternate identities.  Browns would be hard because there would be too much tie in with the NFL team which is a sacred identity in Cleveland.  I say that because the baseball team would be compelled (forced?) to create some kind of logo for branding, which most people are set against doing for the Browns identity.  The Cleveland Brown's anti-logo identity would carry over to a baseball team by the people.

 

Spiders has fun possibilities if it wasn't for the identity's notorious history.  In the baseball world, the Spiders is synonymous with losing.  They hold the baseball record of the most losses in a season.  Anyone who follows baseball would never want their team named the Spiders.  That is why you don't see any team, major or minor league, named the spiders despite the cool potential for logos/brands/concepts.

 

I'd have fun and try to create the Rockers, but certainly try to do the other identities as well.  I'm just being a Debbie Downer this morning and pointing out why these names would never happen.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Blues" would be simple enough, as it would be a nice parallel to the neighboring Reds. Plus you could probably just keep the block "C" in blue instead of creating a new Cleveland wordmark.

 

Having said all that, although I think the Indians will eventually change their name, I'm not sure it would happen as soon as 2020. Think about how long it's taken for them to phase out Wahoo (it still hasn't happened yet). Not sure the fanbase would accept the team changing their identity within three years, as well. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if we're being realistic, the name won't be gone. However, that shouldn't stop you from doing an additional concept demonstrating how you would brand the team. I agree with @coco1997 that Blues is your best course of action, but make sure that you brand them in a way that's distinct from the St. Louis Blues of the NHL. Maybe a "blues guitar" route, with a bit of musical notation thrown in on the scripts/cap logo (since the block C might not fit with this idea)?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's my history degree talking but I'd be interested in the Napoleons. Perhaps use a logo that has Nap Lajoie with his hand in his jersey like the Emperor?

jacques-louis_david_-_the_emperor_napole Lajoie_Nap_3.jpg

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, if we're being realistic, the name won't be gone. However, that shouldn't stop you from doing an additional concept demonstrating how you would brand the team. I agree with @coco1997 that Blues is your best course of action, but make sure that you brand them in a way that's distinct from the St. Louis Blues of the NHL. Maybe a "blues guitar" route, with a bit of musical notation thrown in on the scripts/cap logo (since the block C might not fit with this idea)?

 

The problem with the Blues name that I see is this: Cleveland/Ohio is not quite related to the Blues music, given it's not part of the Mississippi area, but going for the Bluebirds identity might make them look like the Blue Jays.

 

Given you all agree they'll  be keeping their name (at least within 3 years) I think I'll keep their current identity, choosing one of those from above at the end of the series, as a special design.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Victormrey said:

Given you all agree they'll  be keeping their name (at least within 3 years) I think I'll keep their current identity, and choosing one of those from above at the end of the series, as a special design.

 

This sounds like the way to go. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Maybe it's my history degree talking but I'd be interested in the Napoleons. Perhaps use a logo that has Nap Lajoie with his hand in his jersey like the Emperor?

jacques-louis_david_-_the_emperor_napole Lajoie_Nap_3.jpg

I like this. Also, based on the picture, I think Lajoie would beat me with that bat for thinking that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an idea , but how about something space based for Cleveland, due to the states ties to NASA/ space exploration. Perhaps something like the Cleveland Cosmos or Comets? 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, McTuna said:

Just an idea , but how about something space based for Cleveland, due to the states ties to NASA/ space exploration. Perhaps something like the Cleveland Cosmos or Comets? 

 

I like the idea, but I think it'd be too close to Astros' identity.

 

I have a lot of time to think about their rebrand. As soon as I choose a new name, I'll post it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's start the ALC with the White Sox!

 

The Chicago White Sox have on of the most classy looks in the Major, there's no too much I'd change about them. But they seem to be one of the teams which looks at their past the most, using throwback designs quite frequently. Given this, and the uniform used during the last Spring Training, I decided to go for a "combination of eras".

Maybe they won't make such radical changes, but I think they'll be incorporating old elements, one way or another.

 

For the home uniform I decided to drop the pinstripes, featuring now the 1936/38 logo on the front, and a new version of the "Flying Sock" (designed by me) on the sleevd. The road uniform now features a melange pattern, as well as the 1932/38 script. Both uniforms feature the 1949/50 C on the caps.

For the alts, I decided to go for a modern version of the 1982/86 uniform.

As you may notice, I decided to use powder blue as secondary colour, inspired by the uniforms used from 1962 to 1975.

 

5900e63eb829b_MLB2020ChicagoWhiteSoxHomeUniform.thumb.png.2c1bd5a8323e8560c76dc1473ed031dd.png5900e64d78e6f_MLB2020ChicagoWhiteSoxRoadUniform.thumb.png.90298e5926dac4986d6c579c48e22d94.png5900e6379f1d8_MLB2020ChicagoWhiteSoxHomeAltUniform.thumb.png.e648572b14613f7a6f36ecaaf0922739.png5900e645db90d_MLB2020ChicagoWhiteSoxRoadAltUniform.thumb.png.77c0813aada02336900051097abb7af6.png

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool look for the White Sox. I'd be curious to hear your thought process in using black and powder blue as team colors. It's interesting to me that you used a grey road with powder blue piping rather than use a full powder blue road. Also great job of noticing that the logos from three different eras (49-50 cap, 36-38 home jersey, 76-81 road jersey) actually match up. I'm curious why you ditched the white bottoms for the road socks. All in all a great job! 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One small request, is it possible to do a cap with the 36-38 S-O-X? The Sox have worn caps with an S-O-X of some type for most of their history. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giphy.gif

 

Really, really sharp look for the White Sox. I echo  @Carolingian Steamroller's praise for how you combined elements from three distinct eras to produce a sleek, cohesive identity. I also like that you took two very different looks and unified them with one color scheme, unlike what the Sox currently do.

 

The only nitpick I have (and it's extremely minor) is the blue outline on the "C" cap logo. Seeing it now, I don't think it's necessary, but I'm curious what others think. And as much as I love the idea, I think the diamond sock patch might work better without the wing.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I don't comment a lot, but this is by far one of the best threads...
Just amazing

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great color scheme. I love the combination of eras on the home and away. I've never been a fan of the beach towel, though...but I get a lot of people are. However, I don't know why would have two of the same alternate...just re-colored. Also, I think the home socks would work just fine on the road (and bring out the white in the cap).

Very nice work!!!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Very cool look for the White Sox. I'd be curious to hear your thought process in using black and powder blue as team colors. It's interesting to me that you used a grey road with powder blue piping rather than use a full powder blue road. Also great job of noticing that the logos from three different eras (49-50 cap, 36-38 home jersey, 76-81 road jersey) actually match up. I'm curious why you ditched the white bottoms for the road socks. All in all a great job! 

 

Actually, the idea came from @coco1997 profile pic! I searched the uniforms used by the White Sox, and given they've used light blue on their roads for more than 10 years and it matches with black, I decided to go for it. About an all-powder blue road uni, I think it wouldn't be realistic, that's why I did a grey road design.

About the socks, I thought the road uniform look more balanced without the white.

Here's the cap with the SOX logo:

 

59010374b152e_ChiSoxHomeUni.thumb.png.9b1e108e306e0a24e612496333224b5a.png

 

16 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Great color scheme. I love the combination of eras on the home and away. I've never been a fan of the beach towel, though...but I get a lot of people are. However, I don't know why would have two of the same alternate...just re-colored. Also, I think the home socks would work just fine on the road (and bring out the white in the cap).

Very nice work!!!

 

I wanted to make a consistent alt set, that's why I used the same design twice. About the road, does this look better?

 

59010425372a8_ChiSoxRoadUni.thumb.png.69d7266512f138778ea082e197e6db91.png

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now