Old Article on Brooklyn Dodgers Logo

citychris05

Just read this column again. Excellent work. Once you lay out the case the differences in the "B" become jarring. 

I feel like there's a similar problem with the NY baseball Giants hats sold these days. The current replicas use the taller "NY" as used by the Mets rather than the wider, shorter one used by the 1950s Gints and by the Mets themselves until the 90s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 9:52 AM, Gothamite said:

Don't know about Chris's article, but this one on UniWatch was written by a charming and good-looking fellow who sometimes comes around these boards. ;)

Yeah that was the article I was looking for. Thanks for sharing!

Do you by any chance know if the Dodgers Cooperstown cap that is being sold by 47 fits the characteristics of the logo that was used by the team in their later years? To my untrained eyes they do, but I thought a logo expert would know better.

47Cooperstown.jpg

Comparing it to the upgraded Cooperstown Collection files:

u8p4zxhiep08twlfgigpppyqe.gif8290061949.gif

I'd say both caps fit with the new classifications. However, the new Cooperstown Collection features a notch in the second Brooklyn "B," which isn't on the original.

14191a_reese_cap.jpg

Also, because @Gothamite mentioned it in article, the Milwaukee "block M" has been fixed by the upgraded Cooperstown Collection:

8438041953.gif70923a_lg.jpeg

jjv3bckjoxp45r2uwc84kefeg.gifHankAaron_GameWornCap.jpeg

I don't think New Era got the memo yet.

59 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, because @Gothamite mentioned it in article, the Milwaukee "block M" has been fixed by the upgraded Cooperstown Collection:

8438041953.gif70923a_lg.jpeg

jjv3bckjoxp45r2uwc84kefeg.gifHankAaron_GameWornCap.jpeg

I don't think New Era got the memo yet.

Holy cow!   Was going to write that up for Uni Watch this summer.  Maybe I'll do the incorrect ball-in-glove logo instead. 

Braves one is an odd choice, since almost every M they used had a hard point. 

I think New Era likes having its own proprietary versions of the logos, as distinct from their competitors as they often are from the historical caps.  

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Comparing it to the upgraded Cooperstown Collection files:

u8p4zxhiep08twlfgigpppyqe.gif8290061949.gif

I'd say both caps fit with the new classifications. However, the new Cooperstown Collection features a notch in the second Brooklyn "B," which isn't on the original.

14191a_reese_cap.jpg

Which notch are you specifically talking about? I'm trying to figure out the difference,  but seem to need a little assistance haha.

3 hours ago, citychris05 said:

Which notch are you specifically talking about? I'm trying to figure out the difference,  but seem to need a little assistance haha.

No worries - he's talking about this:

1955_B_notch.png

That little triangular notch on the left where the two hoops meet the vertical bar - all old Dodgers logos had it, but the 1955 cap logos didn't.

I wonder if they kept it in by accident, or are deliberately trying to visually separate it from the Red Sox logo?  One other minor difference between this new Cooperstown Collection logo and the original is the inside corners next to the notch are are rounded off - on the old cap logo, as well as the old Red Sox logo they were right angles:

4077_boston_red_sox-cap-1954.png

Again, that's because in 1955 the Dodgers bought their caps from MacAuliffe in Boston, who gave Brooklyn the same logo as they gave the Red Sox, only without the outline.

Archived