Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

3 hours ago, HecEdHooligan said:
On 12/22/2018 at 10:22 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

No way in hell they're named the Sonics. It's inevitable that the NBA is coming back to Seattle at some point and they will be the Sonics. 

Yep. The SuperSonics will return and not as a Hockey team.

They could be called the SubSonics.

(Kidding.)

(Maybe.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They could be called the SubSonics.

(Kidding.)

(Maybe.)

The Presidents of the United States of America are a Seattle band, and they always said Lump limped alone at subsonic speed

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

23 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

The Presidents of the United States of America are a Seattle band, and they always said Lump limped alone at subsonic speed

Hmm... I think it was life that limped along at subsonic speeds.

Lump, on the other hand, sat alone in a boggy marsh.

But maybe that's just in my head, and I might be dead.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

• 3 weeks later...

King 5’s Chris Daniels noted that Bettman and NHL Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke both mentioned the names Sockeyes and Steelheads, two brands that also polled well in a recent survey.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercooler/sports/news/Sports/Gary_Bettman_hints_at_possible_names_for_new_Seattle_s_NHL_team/

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed here, but NHL Seattle was handing out some gear at UW and it was black and red. It just seems sort of too specific to be a placeholder on gear. Why not just use the black/silver in the NHL shield if that was the case?

sig.png

Between Sockeyes and Steelheads ... Sockeyes, please.

And, I do prefer those options over Metros, Totems and Kraken as well.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I want to hope that red is only being used as an attention grabber to Seattle's expansion franchise. It does make the NHL's black & silver shield pop meaning "The NHL is coming to Seattle!"

I always preferred Totems and Emeralds but Sockeyes has grown on me. I prefer it over Steelheads. Sockeyes isn't just a reflection of the actual fish but also Seattle's sockeye industry, including the flying sockeye at Pike's Market.

Here's what I'm hoping for in case Sockeyes is indeed chosen:

1. Green is the primary colour and orangey red is the secondary with touches of black or navy blue. The green & red look would be a tribute to the Metropolitans.

2. A Native art-styled sockeye as the main crest. Would make a fine tribute to the old WHL Totems and to PNW Indigenous history.

I think Seattle and PNW hockey fans would be in agreement here.

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

King 5’s Chris Daniels noted that Bettman and NHL Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke both mentioned the names Sockeyes and Steelheads, two brands that also polled well in a recent survey.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercooler/sports/news/Sports/Gary_Bettman_hints_at_possible_names_for_new_Seattle_s_NHL_team/

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed here, but NHL Seattle was handing out some gear at UW and it was black and red. It just seems sort of too specific to be a placeholder on gear. Why not just use the black/silver in the NHL shield if that was the case?

The gear is still associated with that NHL Seattle group in particular, which was already using red and black. It's like the Portland Diamond Project selling navy blue gear. I guess both groups just wanted to use a common color scheme in their respective sports. I know the PDX group mentioned on Twitter that the navy blue isn't an indication of a decision on actual team colors. Don't know about the NHL Seattle group.

1 minute ago, daveindc said:

The gear is still associated with that NHL Seattle group in particular, which was already using red and black. It's like the Portland Diamond Project selling navy blue gear. I guess both groups just wanted to use a common color scheme in their respective sports.

You're probably right, but I'm still confused as to why those groups didn't use a color scheme that was already associated with sports fans in that area.  Navy / Blue / Green / Lime / Silver in Seattle and Green / Gold / Black / Red in Portland....

I don't get it, but I'm not in the sports marketing biz so I'm clearly missing something

13 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

You're probably right, but I'm still confused as to why those groups didn't use a color scheme that was already associated with sports fans in that area.  Navy / Blue / Green / Lime / Silver in Seattle and Green / Gold / Black / Red in Portland....

I don't get it, but I'm not in the sports marketing biz so I'm clearly missing something

Maybe their rationale was to "fit in" with a common color scheme in NHL. They already know NHL fans in Seattle are going to support them regardless.

That said, I personally think they should go with a unique shade of blue and lime green. Maybe steel blue like the previous Seahawks set, or something similar:

Image result for seattle seahawks hockey jersey

If the "Seattle Sockeyes" were a green and orangey-red team, they would blend in nicely with the other Seattle teams while standing out on their own. The Seahawks and Mariners are both navy but the neon green and teal separate the two teams. The Sounders wear earthy light "rave" green with powder "Sounder" blue, separating the them from both the Seahawks current and retro royal blue & Kelly green. The SuperSonics and vintage Mariners wore yellow-gold as a secondary. 

Therefore, orangey-red would separate the NHL team from the other teams, including the future SuperSonics 2.0 with both wearing green primary darks.

16 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

I agree that the red, being so bold, seems like more than a placeholder color. And given that one of the owners owns a large sports merchandise company, I think they have already thought this through and are busy creating a lot of red/black items in China as we discuss this. 

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Would green and red be too Minnesota Wild-y?  

I'd say Seattle should go with Mariners or Seahawks colors but I guess those are too close to what Vancouver has so that probably won't happen.  

Red and black would be very boring, I hope that's not it. 

I wonder if Seattle goes with earth-tone green & red/orange?

Archived