Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

 

Well I'll be. I guess I need to brush up my junior hockey...

 

CibRX.gif

 

 

But, there's a price for everything ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer dig a bit deeper into their horde of cash and pay the Kent, Washington-based major junior Seattle Thunderbirds to part with the name. Frankly, the WHL T-Birds may not be long for the world after a Seattle NHL franchise sets-up shop, anyway. If not the Seattle Thunderbirds, then go with the Seattle Steelheads or Seattle Cutthroats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer dig a bit deeper into their horde of cash and pay the Kent, Washington-based major junior Seattle Thunderbirds to part with the name. Frankly, the WHL T-Birds may not be long for the world after a Seattle NHL franchise sets-up shop, anyway. If not the Seattle Thunderbirds, then go with the Seattle Steelheads or Seattle Cutthroats

 

In which case Bonderman and Bruckheimer would have to buy the rights from the ECHL Idaho Steelheads, which is probably more expensive than buying the rights from an economically-threatened WHL team.

 

Think the NHL would allow the Seattle Sockeyes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully a Seattle team won't do what Foley did and name his team after an inferior of his closest rival.

 

So, maybe not name a team after a fish when the mascot of the team across the border is a carnivorous orca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LMU said:

Hopefully a Seattle team won't do what Foley did and name his team after an inferior of his closest rival.

 

So, maybe not name a team after a fish when the mascot of the team across the border is a carnivorous orca.

I still think Sea Lions might be a good name, despite being orca food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I still think Sea Lions might be a good name, despite being orca food.

Sea Lions would have been great for San Jose's team, if they were looking on keeping the spirit of the Seals alive.

For Seattle though? Eh...too many jokes given how close the Canucks would be. @LMU's right to point out that Foley was dumb to name his team "Knights" when the Kings are within driving distance. Maybe not the best example to take ques from though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder what color scheme the upcoming expansion team will go with.

 

Blue and green (seahawks colors) are already used by Vancouver so thats out. Do they go Green/Yellow a la Sonics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bowld said:

Wonder what color scheme the upcoming expansion team will go with.

 

Blue and green (seahawks colors) are already used by Vancouver so thats out. Do they go Green/Yellow a la Sonics?

I think dark blue will be one for sure as well as a bright shade of green. You look at the 3 major league teams there as well as the Thunderbirds all use a dark/ navy blue as well as green (although Mariners is more a teal colour). Even their new rugby team, Seattle Seawolves (with an orca logo) uses blue and green. I wouldn't be surprised if the potential NHL team goes the same route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bowld said:

Wonder what color scheme the upcoming expansion team will go with.

 

Blue and green (seahawks colors) are already used by Vancouver so thats out. Do they go Green/Yellow a la Sonics?

I'm envisioning one of two scenarios vis-a-vis color choice: 

  1. Seattle follows the Pittsburgh route and has all its pro teams share the same color scheme with some variant of blue and green. It's easy to do this without confusing the color scheme with the Canucks. The easiest route is to follow the Seahawks color scheme of Navy and Rave Green. This becomes more complicated, though, should Seattle ever land another NBA team. Which leads me to the next possibility ...
  2. The club goes the green-and-yellow route, speculating that it will one day share a building with the Sonics, creating chromatic solidarity with a future co-tenant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bowld said:

Wonder what color scheme the upcoming expansion team will go with.

 

Blue and green (seahawks colors) are already used by Vancouver so thats out. Do they go Green/Yellow a la Sonics?

My personal preference would be for them to go with the name Metropolitans/Metros, due to the history associated with the name (the original Metros were the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup).

That being said? I wouldn't replicate the old team's red, green, and white colour scheme. I'd go forest green and gold. Sort of a pre-BFBS North Stars look. With Dallas having switched gold out for silver? The colour scheme's Seattle's for the taking.

Also, who are we kidding? The NHL in Seattle would just be the warmup act for the Sonics' return. So might as well share the colours so they can coordinate the arena's colour layout with as little fuss as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sea Lions would have been great for San Jose's team, if they were looking on keeping the spirit of the Seals alive.

For Seattle though? Eh...too many jokes given how close the Canucks would be. @LMU's right to point out that Foley was dumb to name his team "Knights" when the Kings are within driving distance. Maybe not the best example to take ques from though.

Yeah, but in chess the king just sits there waiting and hoping it doesn't die, while the knights are out doing stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Yeah, but in chess the king just sits there waiting and hoping it doesn't die, while the knights are out doing stuff. 

I'm not sure most NHL owners know how to play chess :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not another animal please.

 

Seattle Pilots (lol)

 

No serioulsy, Seattle Towers would be original and representative.

 

Seattle Rainiers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not sure most NHL owners know how to play chess :D

They do seem more like a checkers crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever their name is, I say go with different colours that will stand out from everyone else.  I think it's fine if they go with similar colours, but having their own allows them to own the colour in the city, instead of sharing them with other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think sticking with a green and blue scheme of some sort would be great. Maybe a dark green with light blue like Tulane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I think sticking with a green and blue scheme of some sort would be great. Maybe a dark green with light blue like Tulane. 

That color scheme will only work if they're primarily green with blue accents. The reverse would be far too close to the Canucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now