Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

26 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Since the Whalers won't be returning anytime soon, I'd like to see a Seattle team adopt their original scheme.  They could be to the Canucks as the Canadiens are to the Rangers.

Might be an infringement on the Seattle Thunderbirds. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the name Seismics. Plays into regional significance, its unique, goes well with 'Sonics' because we know if Seattle is getting an NHL team an NBA team is a prerequisite, and they can use the green and gold colour scheme thats been basically abandoned by the Wild and Stars to have a unique look in the NHL.

Or Totems.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Since the Whalers won't be returning anytime soon, I'd like to see a Seattle team adopt their original scheme.  They could be to the Canucks as the Canadiens are to the Rangers.

No.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Might be an infringement on the Seattle Thunderbirds. 

The Thunderbirds use a variation of the Navy Whalers look.  I'm suggesting Kelly green with Royal and white accents.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Can teams trademark color schemes? I don't think there is anything the thunderbirds could do legally to prevent them from using those colors

I don't think so, but I think it would be a poor design choice for Seattle to mimic the colours of their nearest geographic rival so closely.

Seattle is one of the few cities where I feel like you have a defined color scheme across sports. While not exactly the same, the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders all employ some combination of Blue, Green, and Silver/Grey. Given the immense popularity of the Seahawks and Sounders I think it would benefit a Seattle NHL team to adopt a similar color scheme. The key is going to be finding shades of blue and green that will distinguish them from Vancouver. Consider that the Canucks employ a pretty straight forward blue and kelly green, I think there's plenty of room for a color set that is identifiably "Seattle" while still being unique in the NHL. I really liked the original double blue and green that the Seahawks used when they first rebranded and I feel like that could make for a very unique color set. Alternatively, I could see a Seattle NHL team using more of a slate blue similar to the Golden Knights.

Just for grins I put together a swatch using a blend of the Seahawks original blue and current grey..

Seattle_Swatch.png.c7fea5b89793f809bb34278ea34021b0.png

I think you could put together a pretty solid identity from those colors and not have to worry about being confused for the Canucks.

- - - 

As for names...

I'm torn about the Metropolitans. On the one hand the name has an important place in hockey history, and I think it should be celebrated when the NHL eventually arrives. However, I also recognize that the name is dated and doesn't really fit with the identity of the city as it exists today. I'd love to see a Metropolitans Stanly Cup banner hanging from the rafters, and I would love to see an outdoor game between Montreal and Seattle with both teams wearing vintage inspired jerseys...but I just don't think Metropolitans works as a full time identity.

Unfortunately Totems has it's own challenges, even though I think there's the makings of a beautiful brand that respectfully integrates native iconography similar to the Seahawks and Canucks...unfortunately I think it's just too risky for this day and age.

I could see Thunderbirds being "promoted" to the NHL, but I don't know if that's an association the organization would like to make...or if the WHL would willingly give it up.

I've personally thought Seawolves would be a great way to tie in to the Seahawks while also connecting to the naval presence in the sound (seawolf being a class of submarine). However I could see the Seahawks being reluctant to have another team effectively riding their coat tails.

Another poster mentioned Seismics...which could be interesting...I think a name like Vulcans or Volcanoes could also be viable is somewhat risky (consider the number of active volcanoes in the region and the risk of a massive earthquake in the next 50 years).

Finally...on a more silly note...a name like Sasquatch (Sasquatches...not sure what the plural is) could be a fun and unique name with a lot of fun applications (see the Eugene Emeralds).

The best name for a Seattle team is Totems. It's original, not too long, has a storied connection with the Canucks in the old WHL and the logo and kelly green primary colour would make it stand out in HD and NHL branding. 

Also, if there was a Totems vs Canucks future Heritage Classic, both teams can promote the Metropolitans vs Millionaires. It's a PERFECT natural.

chl--seattle_totems_1974-75.gif.cf.gif

JohnnyC_flag.jpg.cf.jpg

32 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The best name for a Seattle team is Totems. It's original, not too long, has a storied connection with the Canucks in the old WHL and the logo and kelly green primary colour would make it stand out in HD and NHL branding. 

Also, if there was a Totems vs Canucks future Heritage Classic, both teams can promote the Metropolitans vs Millionaires. It's a PERFECT natural.

12 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

i selfishly don't want any other primarily kelly green teams in the NHL.

What about dark green/powder blue? That look would fit with the region, while being distinct enough from the Canucks. Then again, I'll look for any excuse to plug dark green/powder blue as a color scheme.

Also, if Totems fell through as a name (due to nobody knowing who holds the rights to the old name), I'd suggest something themed after local wildlife (preferably a sea creature that wasn't an orca) or cryptids (a bigfoot-themed team could be fantastic, if executed in a tasteful manner).

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

What about dark green/powder blue? That look would fit with the region, while being distinct enough from the Canucks. Then again, I'll look for any excuse to plug dark green/powder blue as a color scheme.

Also, if Totems fell through as a name (due to nobody knowing who holds the rights to the old name), I'd suggest something themed after local wildlife (preferably a sea creature that wasn't an orca) or cryptids (a bigfoot-themed team could be fantastic, if executed in a tasteful manner).

i think that'd be fine with me. dont need a monopoly on green, but i do selfishly hope no one wears kelly green primaries but dallas. lol.

though that minnesota wild concept thread sorta has me in love with the dark green/sky blue scheme for minny.

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Totems in hunter green and powder/light blue would look amazing. If you took the Whalers' 80's uniforms and changed the green to hunter and royal blue to powder, that look would be timeless.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:57 PM, hockey week said:

Metros has new meanings now, and I can't imagine the NHL wants to risk offending people, even if it's innocent

It's not a catchy sports name. That stuff worked a century ago and is charming now, you can't just create that now.

This is one of the dumber things I've read on these boards, and I lived through the Tnak era.  

My first thought of "metros" is a subway system, followed by a big city and the hustle and bustle of people walking around said city.  I had to seriously think for a while to figure out what you meant.  I think that 1) it's not in any way a controversial or derogatory term, and 2) unless you're a 14-year-old kid you wouldn't even think of it.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived