Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

I don’t like the whole “every team in the city has the same color scheme” idea going beyond Pittsburgh, because it makes Pittsburgh’s teams seem less special in the Big Four landscape. Pittsburgh is a quirky place demographically (not quite Midwest, not East Coast, etc.), so it makes sense that the teams have the color scheme connection.

New York’s blue/orange teams get a bit of a pass, seeing as how they’re only part of the municipality’s teams. It’s also cool when sports franchises share a common color in a city. Examples include yellow-gold in LA, green/teal in Seattle, and red in Atlanta. Having a bunch of cities go all-in on it make Pittsburgh and half of the New York teams seem less special, and I don’t like that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, Cosmic said:

Plus the Devils and the Canes!

This is a complete guess, but maybe they want a red identity for the arena (maybe with a naming rights partner they're not quite ready to announce yet?), and they just haven't gotten around to team branding yet? The NHL team is not the total reason for the arena, so it wouldn't surprise me for the building to have its own brand. The Sabres' arena built in the 90s had its own blue/light blue/purple scheme, separate from both the team and the bank sponsor.

You forgot Panthers, Senators, Blackhawks, Capitals, Blue Jackets (w/ red accents), and Vegas Golden Knights (w/ red accents)... 

On 12/8/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Sea Lions would have been great for San Jose's team, if they were looking on keeping the spirit of the Seals alive.

For Seattle though? Eh...too many jokes given how close the Canucks would be. @LMU's right to point out that Foley was dumb to name his team "Knights" when the Kings are within driving distance.

Wait - does anybody seriously think that’s a problem?

I have plenty of problems with the name, but that sure isn’t one of them. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

I found this on Icethetics' Instagram, I'm not sure what to think about it. Q76KQXi.jpg

I'm picturing Wreck-It Ralph here, living inside wires and junk. What kind of importer-exporter deals in jersey concepts that are almost certainly just digital files at this point? And hypothetical hockey team names? 

Also, I'm pretty sure that's a terrible color scheme. 

Archived