Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

From Dailyfaceoff.com 

"the Mayor talking about the high speed train from Van to Seattle that is in proposal and it(TOTEMS) slipped out of his mouth"

anyone else hear this? How would he know?

He doesn't. That's probably just the name he's hoping for.

8 minutes ago, tigers said:

Let it grow on you.

It will be the Seattle hockey club... But they'll have an actual, official nickname, not that club, team, union garbage that soccer/European teams keep trying to force on us...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

It will be the Seattle hockey club... But they'll have an actual, official nickname, not that club, team, union garbage that soccer/European teams keep trying to force on us...

I realise there are a lot of factors behind why clubs ultimately choose an identity but I for one would love to see a professional club just go with their city or local name and let the fans and the environment choose it, allow the club to develop it's own identity similar to how it was once before.

Seattle in the NHL has this opportunity.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

5 minutes ago, tigers said:

I realise there are a lot of factors behind why clubs ultimately choose an identity but I for one would love to see a professional club just go with their city or local name and let the fans and the environment choose it, allow the club to develop it's own identity similar to how it was once before.

Seattle in the NHL has this opportunity.

they do, they have a vote a lot the time to pick the name. No way this generation will wait until a name evolves and come up w/ it after they start playing. 

7 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

they do, they have a vote a lot the time to pick the name. No way this generation will wait until a name evolves and come up w/ it after they start playing. 

“This generation” seems fine with it working that way in soccer, specifically MLS, whose biggest fan demographic is young adults. A brand new hockey team in a city whose economy is increasingly reliant on young professionals will have a very similar fan base.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Back in the day, team names were sometimes just unofficial nicknames that sports writers gave them based on how they played.  My high school was named the Whippets because back in the late 1800s or early 1900s a writer noted how fast they looked running up and down the field and called them whippets, after a racing dog.  After a while it just stuck.

I'd love for a pro team to do that - just be the "Seattle Hockey Club", and then let the name evolve organically.  Of course in the modern era, you'd have writers and TV broadcasters come up with their own nicknames and force it repeatedly over-and-over in the hopes that it catches on and then they can take credit for it (and maybe get royalties from the team if they adopt it.)  On second thought... yeah that can never work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't help but suspect that the current MLS naming conventions are a reaction to the league's initial crop of teams which featured such timeless classics as the Dallas Burn, Kansas City Wiz, San Jose Clash, Tampa Bay Mutiny, and New York/New Jersey Metrostars. Given how incredibly dated and poorly received these names were, it makes perfect sense that the league would swing so far in the other direction and effectively co-opt European football branding (regardless of whether it actually made any sense to do so...see: Real Salt Lake) in an effort to create a sense of history and professionalism. 

What's interesting to note is that Seattle is one of a handful of teams to enter the league that chose to use a conventional North American style name, in large part due to the history that name had in the market (which coincidentally goes back to the mid 90s). Coincidentally Portland and Vancouver made similar branding decisions for the same reason (both having histories going back to the 70s and 80s). The irony being that while the PNW has a strong soccer culture and could represent an interesting crossover opportunity with hockey...none of the MLS teams operating in the region adhere to the Market Sport Club convention. 

2 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

What's interesting to note is that Seattle is one of a handful of teams to enter the league that chose to use a conventional North American style name, in large part due to the history that name had in the market (which coincidentally goes back to the mid 90s). Coincidentally Portland and Vancouver made similar branding decisions for the same reason (both having histories going back to the 70s and 80s).

Point of clarification: all three teams (as well as the San Jose Earthquakes, the next team down the coast) share the name of their old NASL franchises from the 70s:

5moiey3hhy9ankg06io6je1an.gif2d39491136136236545d621c6b02ea44.jpg- 1974

NASLSounderslogoEdit.jpg-- 1974

89e8d9bff58b8343366986d8f47aa601.jpg-- 1975

9895-23Fr.jpg-- 1974

It is what it is.

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

“This generation” seems fine with it working that way in soccer, specifically MLS, whose biggest fan demographic is young adults. A brand new hockey team in a city whose economy is increasingly reliant on young professionals will have a very similar fan base.

I assure you there's no way any NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA team will go that route. The only reason the MLS started doing that after a while is they are posers trying to copy the Euro teams

3 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

I assure you there's no way any NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA team will go that route. The only reason the MLS started doing that after a while is they are posers trying to copy the Euro teams

Or they were just attempting to adhere to a branding standard in their sport, but if you like your way, go for it.

Just now, gosioux76 said:

Or they were just attempting to adhere to a branding standard in their sport, but if you like your way, go for it.

They all had team names in the 90s then all of a sudden ESPN started showing euro scores and and nbc started showing gms, then the team names for some started going away. I remember all the WTF when Houston was going to be called 1836. So as I said they did things the american way then switched to copying the big boys. 

11 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

They all had team names in the 90s then all of a sudden ESPN started showing euro scores and and nbc started showing gms, then the team names for some started going away. I remember all the WTF when Houston was going to be called 1836. So as I said they did things the american way then switched to copying the big boys. 

The Houston thing was more offense at the racism in the choosing of the name than the team adopting a Euro-style moniker.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived