Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

12 hours ago, ColeJ said:

technically, there is no finite definition of what "kelly green" or "victory green" or "navy blue" or "crimson" or "cardinal" means, and they're all just words we associate with different shades. victory green is more related to "wolf grey" than anything, meaning it is much more marketing jargon than actual color name.

I thought the emoticon made it clear that I was not serious :P.  But yeah the shade is very close to the original North Stars swatch, arguably better.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The best name for a Seattle team is Totems. It's original, not too long, has a storied connection with the Canucks in the old WHL and the logo and kelly green primary colour would make it stand out in HD and NHL branding.

It's original exact for the fact that it's not. It's the name of an old team located in Seattle. 

What is with people wanting the relive the past? What is this nostalgia trip everyone is on? Can we not just get something new?

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is one of the dumber things I've read on these boards, and I lived through the Tnak era.  

My first thought of "metros" is a subway system, followed by a big city and the hustle and bustle of people walking around said city.  I had to seriously think for a while to figure out what you meant.  I think that 1) it's not in any way a controversial or derogatory term, and 2) unless you're a 14-year-old kid you wouldn't even think of it.  

All I'm saying is that we live in a world where this actually happened:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/school-cant-call-team-cougars-because-it-offends-some-women/1

If someone can find a way to be offended, they will, and these public franchises want to avoid that as much as possible.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

14 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The best name for a Seattle team is Totems. It's original, not too long, has a storied connection with the Canucks in the old WHL and the logo and kelly green primary colour would make it stand out in HD and NHL branding. 

Also, if there was a Totems vs Canucks future Heritage Classic, both teams can promote the Metropolitans vs Millionaires. It's a PERFECT natural.

1 minute ago, TRoyConcepts said:

It's original exact for the fact that it's not. It's the name of an old team located in Seattle. 

What is with people wanting the relive the past? What is this nostalgia trip everyone is on? Can we not just get something new?

Something new is what I'd want out of a Seattle team. The Metropolitans, while important to the history of hockey, have been lost to obscurity (to the point where Ebbets Field Flannels makes replicas of their sweaters). The Totems would be just recycling a minor-league name that has been supplanted by a better minor-league name (Thunderbirds).

As for VancouverFan69's point, the name "Seattle Totems" hasn't been used since the mid-1970's outside of an obscure junior league team. This isn't like the Timbers or Sounders, where the names stuck around on various organizations for decades and always had an extant core of supporters (look at the Sounders' name write-in). The Totems died in the 1970's, after their "storied rivals" departed for the NHL and left most of the old WHL in the dustbin of history. Whatever fans of hockey exist in Seattle, they'd much more likely support an NHL Thunderbirds team or an NHL team with a new name over an NHL Totems team. 

New names and identities are not implicitly bad, and some things (like the Metropolitans/Totems' names and logos) are best left in past.

3 hours ago, hockey week said:

All I'm saying is that we live in a world where this actually happened:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/school-cant-call-team-cougars-because-it-offends-some-women/1

If someone can find a way to be offended, they will, and these public franchises want to avoid that as much as possible.

But how is Metros suppose to be offensive? I can't think of a single reason.

33 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

But how is Metros suppose to be offensive? I can't think of a single reason.

Metrosexual.

EDIT-

The problem with a new Seattle name is that...well I haven't seen or heard a non-historical name for a Seattle NHL team that's any good. In my opinion, of course.

I prefer "Metros" for reasons beyond the historical. I just think it's the best name out there. "Thunderbirds" would be cool, but I think it's probably smart to stay clear of Native-inspired names unless absolutely necessary.

13 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

My vote has been submitted for Seattle Reigny Knights.  

Seattle Storm would be another great option if not for the WNBA.  The Storm could head east and play the Hurricanes and the Lightning on a back-to-back.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:21 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Yea, Metropolitans is one of those names that if it had been around for decades upon decades, it would carry. (Like Packers, Lakers, Red Sox, White Sox, etc.). Starting out with a name like that now, even with history, just doesn't sound right.

Technically speaking, shouldn't the Senators moniker fall under the same scrutiny? If it worked for Ottawa, why wouldn't it work for Seattle? 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Metropolitans has not aged well, and not because of metrosexual, a term that no one uses anymore and wasn't even "offensive" when it was used. 

Totems sounds terrible, doesn't even really make sense (it's like having a team called the paintings or the crucifixes), and I know I'm gonna get called a PC princess for this but there really doesn't need to be a new team in pro sports commodifying indigenous heritage with their name. I think it's a name that no one would be upset with the team keeping if they'd been playing for the past 70 years but as a new team there's no need for it. Especially since teams like the Seahawks, Canucks, and Thunderbirds have proven that it's possible to incorporate indigenous art tastefully and respectively without directly turning their heritage into a mascot.

Which is good, because Seattle Totems is also a stupid name in a vacuum. 

17 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

/Glances at Canada with Jets, Senators, and hypothetical Nordiques.

I dunno, you tell me.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

TNSE was throwing around "Moose," "Falcons," and "Polar Bears" when they moved the Thrashers to Winnipeg. Hell, they were even going to call the team "Manitoba" instead.

Fans really wanted "Winnipeg Jets" though. 

With the Senators? I was too young to follow the 1992 expansion as it happened but I get the sense that no other name was considered. Ottawa was getting a NHL team back? Ok. They were going to be the Senators. 

And if QC gets a team again? It's gonna be the Nordiques.

Seattle's a bit of a different case, because the "Metropolitans" name hasn't been used in nearly a century. Whereas the Jets and Nords left relatively recently and Ottawa had a history of minor league teams named the Senators leading up to 1992.

So I don't think Seattle will clamour for Metros like those cities clamoured for old names. Still? It makes sense for uni nerds like us to like it. Historical names, by definition, have more meaning than new names. So of course that's where the preference will be. 

5 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I don't think the NHL needs another Northwestern blue and green team with a totem pole inspired logo, but I could get behind the Thunderbirds being "promoted" to the NHL.

Seems like the best option to me. Metros and Totems are just kinda... meh, in my opinion, but the Thunderbirds name & logo are really nice. The jerseys are obviously ripped off from the Whalers, but since they're probably not coming back anytime soon* I don't see a big issue there either.

* - As much as I'd like to see it, lol nope.

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

TNSE was throwing around "Moose," "Falcons," and "Polar Bears" when they moved the Thrashers to Winnipeg. Hell, they were even going to call the team "Manitoba" instead.

LOL, talk about adding salt to the Atlanta fans' wounds.

ClAFLDa.png

4 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Seems like the best option to me. Metros and Totems are just kinda... meh, in my opinion, but the Thunderbirds name & logo are really nice. The jerseys are obviously ripped off from the Whalers, but since they're probably not coming back anytime soon* I don't see a big issue there either.

* - As much as I'd like to see it, lol nope.

Or how about something original instead?

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Seattle Storm would be another great option if not for the WNBA. 

I know it would have exactly zero chance of ever happening, but Sonics would also be a nice option.

I'm also not sure about a Seattle NHL team using blue, green, and silver.

I get the appeal behind all of Seattle's teams having a unified scheme, but that's not gonna happen. A NHL team also means a NBA team, and the NBA team will almost undoubtedly be the Sonics. Who will almost undoubtedly be green and gold. 

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm also not sure about a Seattle NHL team using blue, green, and silver.

I get the appeal behind all of Seattle's teams having a unified scheme, but that's not gonna happen. A NHL team also means a NBA team, and the NBA team will almost undoubtedly be the Sonics. Who will almost undoubtedly be green and gold. 

The thing you have to remember now is that unless the NBA expands, Seattle won't get another NBA team.  I think the Kings were the last team in danger of moving...I don't think there are any other ones left.

Archived