Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

Well, the Dub has always been more knuckle-dragging than the O and the Q, but Canadian major-junior as a whole is closer to college play than high school, age range (mostly 17-20) notwithstanding. And out east, it wound up supplanting AHL hockey in a lot of towns and most people seem to see it as an improvement (except for Quebec City, who didn't exactly mean to build a state-of-the-art arena just for the goddamn Remparts), probably because there's more might-be and less couldn't-be.

But even with NHL fighting at unprecedented lows, my fear of Seattle sports fans clutching pearls over violence or dismissing hockey fans as irretrievable white trash has never gone away. I'm a believer in the market overall, but I think the team they've actually wanted all along should have been taken care of before NHL expansion, lest there be any sort of seething resentment.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/2/2018 at 9:08 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

Why wouldn't the "Totems" name fly? It's not like it is derogatory like "Red Skins". I think if they do go with that name and if they do it right by going through the proper channels, then I don't believe there would be an issue with it. Kind of like what the Edmonton Eskimos did with their name. They talked to the Inuit community and the majority of the community didn't actually mind the name and actually found it an honor.

Agreed. If they get out in front everything with some community outreach programs with local Native American groups, I don’t see how the “Totems” would be be viewed any differently than the Blackhawks.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Given that it’s Seattle I can definitely see how an extremely loud, vocal minority of people would see the name Totems as “cultural appropriation” and “problematic”. I don’t really want to get into whether or not the name actually is given that it’s taboo on this site, but it seems like a headache the ownership group would rather avoid.

I think with Totems, not only do you have the potential issue with Native Americans being offended by the name, I think it would make for bad logo, anyways.  There are plenty of solid names out there to choose from.  No point in picking one out that could be problematic to begin with. 

2 hours ago, M4One said:

I think with Totems, not only do you have the potential issue with Native Americans being offended by the name, I think it would make for bad logo, anyways.  There are plenty of solid names out there to choose from.  No point in picking one out that could be problematic to begin with. 

I think any potential Totems logo would just end up being some sort of combination of the Thunderbirds, Canucks and Seahawks with maybe a bit of the Vancouver Grizzlies for good measure. I mean, the Thunderbirds logo is essentially already a totem pole. 

IEI5Tg1.png

15 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I forget why it doesnt work, or people just didnt like it.

I like the Seattle Emeralds

Two Seattle teams that could sound the same when shortened...M's and Ems. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I forget why it doesnt work, or people just didnt like it.

I like the Seattle Emeralds

22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Two Seattle teams that could sound the same when shortened...M's and Ems. 

The Emeralds are my second choice after Totems. The Ems(love it!) could give the NHL its first all-Kelly green team since the '91-'92 Whalers or give the league its first two-tone green team...Hunter green w/Kelly green or Kelly green w/lime green.

Nevertheless, the NHL needs more green in its uniform colour palette.

With Buffalo going to blue, I thought maybe the NHL's love affair with red and black might stay put at New Jersey, Calgary, Chicago, Ottawa, and Carolina.  Wow.  

This is almost like an expansion MLB team going with Navy and Red.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived