Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/5/2018 at 5:04 AM, M4One said:

Seems like Bettman is against the team being named Metropolitans since they already have a division with that same name.  Good.  It's a terrible name. 

I disagree, but only since there's historical tie in.  They better go by "metros" and not "mets" though.  It's not the best name, but it's far from the worst.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, Kaz said:

Everyone is gonna call them the Seattle Gays and that inaugural season patch is gonna get turned into a dick.

While the jersey with the big dick coming (*sigh*) up from the bottom would be fun, keep in mind that Grays was a finalist for the Nationals, and I think that many people supported that name over what they chose - including me.  I don't recall hearing a single gay joke during that process.  I think it would suck for Seattle, but not necessarily for that reason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, DG_Now said:

Red is not a color for Seattle sports. I can't imagine it will stand.

"Come on, guys! We're cool, too! Right? Right?"

--Seattle University

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

On 12/4/2018 at 3:45 PM, DG_Now said:

Red is not a color for Seattle sports. I can't imagine it will stand.

it kindasorta was for a minute

xxx-nba-playoffs_-lakers_sonics.jpg?widt

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

it kindasorta was for a minute

xxx-nba-playoffs_-lakers_sonics.jpg?widt

And the third jersey wasn't awful, really, just not "Sonics".

desmond-mason-nba.jpg

It's not the worst color combo. "Wine and pine" still sounds cool, especially in Seattle. It just fits.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

"Wine and pine" still sounds cool

That does sound cool.  Really cool.

This scheme would also work - though maybe not with the Sockeyes name.

dino-ciccarelli-minnesota-north-stars-je

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/12/04/seattle-team-name-totems-metropolitans-evergreens-sockeyes-rainiers

So there are 13 possible names.  My two cents:

• Great: N/A
  • Good
    • 1 Emeralds.  Unique; not gaudy. Green is inevitable.  
    • 2 Evergreens.  
    • 3 Seals.  The only negative is that another team once used it.
    • 4 Sea Lions.  Unique...a little clunkier than Seals
    • 5 Totems.
    • 6 Whales.  I don't love it but it works better than, say, Wild.  I rank it as "good" because it's hard not to with a plural animal name. Not sure how to think about that when it comes to the former Whalers.
    • 7 Sockeyes
  • Acceptable
    • 8 Raniers.  Regionally appropriate...I suppose on par with Emeralds or Evergreens but I don't like it as much
    • 9 Kraken.  Don't like the singular-ness of it, but it otherwise has some potential.  
    • 10 Eagles.  Very common name...that's OK by me.
    • 11 Cougars.  See Eagles.  
  • Awful
    • 12 Firebirds. Just to generic for my taste
    • 13 Renegades: The ultimate arena football, fantasy sports, or bar league name.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

And the third jersey wasn't awful, really, just not "Sonics".

desmond-mason-nba.jpg

It's not the worst color combo. "Wine and pine" still sounds cool, especially in Seattle. It just fits.

It's a very Northwest-ish look, which works regionally. Like, when I see this color combination I swear I can smell pinecones and manly man aftershave. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I disagree, but only since there's historical tie in.  They better go by "metros" and not "mets" though.  It's not the best name, but it's far from the worst.

While the jersey with the big dick coming (*sigh*) up from the bottom would be fun, keep in mind that Grays was a finalist for the Nationals, and I think that many people supported that name over what they chose - including me.  I don't recall hearing a single gay joke during that process.  I think it would suck for Seattle, but not necessarily for that reason.

That's the thing.  If there hadn't been a team named that beforehand, nobody would ever even suggest it.  Same thing with Totems.  If it's a solid name to begin with, then great.  But, just because there was a team with those names a long, long time ago, doesn't mean that should be enough of a reason to use it.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/12/04/seattle-team-name-totems-metropolitans-evergreens-sockeyes-rainiers

So there are 13 possible names.  My two cents:

• Great: N/A
  • Good
    • 1 Emeralds.  Unique; not gaudy. Green is inevitable.  
    • 2 Evergreens.  
    • 3 Seals.  The only negative is that another team once used it.
    • 4 Sea Lions.  Unique...a little clunkier than Seals
    • 5 Totems.
    • 6 Whales.  I don't love it but it works better than, say, Wild.  I rank it as "good" because it's hard not to with a plural animal name. Not sure how to think about that when it comes to the former Whalers.
    • 7 Sockeyes
  • Acceptable
    • 8 Raniers.  Regionally appropriate...I suppose on par with Emeralds or Evergreens but I don't like it as much
    • 9 Kraken.  Don't like the singular-ness of it, but it otherwise has some potential.  
    • 10 Eagles.  Very common name...that's OK by me.
    • 11 Cougars.  See Eagles.  
  • Awful
    • 12 Firebirds. Just to generic for my taste
    • 13 Renegades: The ultimate arena football, fantasy sports, or bar league name.

I`m with you pretty much 100%. I don`t like Kraken at all though. I get it, and I can understand why some people like it, but I just can`t get behind it.

sig.png

Archived