Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

50 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I`m with you pretty much 100%. I don`t like Kraken at all though. I get it, and I can understand why some people like it, but I just can`t get behind it.

I could see it as a mascot. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, M4One said:

I think the logo is one of the best in the league all of pro sports.  I thought the name was funny/weird when it was first announced, but I've gotten over it.  The thing is, I think people dislike the name because it is unusual, but also because it's not the Northstars, which might actually be the bigger of the two reasons.

Edited for my emphasis/personal opinion. I've yet to see another pro logo pull off what that one has. And the fact that no one knows for sure whether that's a bear, a cougar, or some other animal while depicting the landscape of the Minnesota, ahem, "wild"erness (which I've experienced personally more than a handful of times--in the dead of winter, no less) just makes it all that much cooler. But this ain't about Minnesota--it's about Seattle, so...

On 12/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Seattle Cutthroats

All it'll take is one mention of Clint Malarchuck to 86 that one... (and for good reason.)

On 12/5/2018 at 4:29 PM, ldconcepts said:

I don't think anything Sasquatch-related is happening.

Image result for avalanche foot logo

Serious question...has anyone on planet Earth yet discovered or uncovered a good reason as to why Colorado stopped using this??? It just boggles my mind how they dropped this mark.

18 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

To me, Kraken is too Hollywood/Trendy. Seattle has changed a lot in the past decade but I'd still say it's very anti-trendy at heart. 

Granted, the closest I've been to Seattle was Auburn, but even there, and what experience I did have in Western Washington state...I wouldn't have thought of Seattle as anti-trendy--in fact, I was thinking just the opposite. But I'll take your word for it--you know better than I.

Now, as for the names. This nickname "Totems"...I have the same problem with that nickname that I did with the oft-touted nickname of "Monuments" for the Washington (DC) NBA team: you're naming a team, in a sport where players are in constant motion...after stationary objects?? It may just be me, but I don't get that logic.  As for "Sockeyes", before this and @sparky chewbarky's thread I'd

never heard of such a breed of fish. How popular/notorious is it up there in the PNW? 

I personally think "Metros" would be the best way to go, IP issues aside, as it's by far the most "major-league" sounding name...and that Metros concept @sparky chewbarkychewbarky worked up over in his Seattle Concepts thread would really be a home-run hitter. (I don't feel like digging it up, bit if you've seen it, you know the one I'm referencing. If you've not yet seen it, then a/ what are you waiting for?? 😄 and b/ go check it and the rest of that thread out!)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Kraken is also from viking mythology. And Washington state is very much not Scandinavia.  

Au contraire. This just opened in North Seattle:

o.jpg

The lead exhibit is The Vikings Begin. There's a strong Scandinavian culture in north (mostly read traditionally white) Seattle. That said, there is not a strong tradition of giving a :censored: about the kraken. It's a dumb name.

Tastefully done, I'm beginning to warm up to Sockeyes. Metros is still my preferred name, but if Bettman's stupid division names skunked that as a possibility, so be it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Buc said:

Serious question...has anyone on planet Earth yet discovered or uncovered a good reason as to why Colorado stopped using this??? It just boggles my mind how they dropped this mark.

It’s only tangentially related to the team name, and mythologically, it’s not particularly relevant to Colorado (Sasquatch being a Pacific Northwest legend and the Yeti a Himalayan one), so they ditched it for something that *is* relevant to Colorado.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s only tangentially related to the team name, and mythologically, it’s not particularly relevant to Colorado (Sasquatch being a Pacific Northwest legend and the Yeti a Himalayan one), so they ditched it for something that *is* relevant to Colorado.

The state doesn’t have all that many cryptids. That’s a shame, quite frankly. We need more drunk idiots mistaking regular animals, people, and inanimate objects for beasts there. 

That reminds me, the Devils should introduce a secondary logo inspired by their namesake.

220px-Jersey_Devil_Philadelphia_Post_190

It’s not Satan, it’s this creature seen by many!

Fun and relavent to the area is for AA baseball. Top level sports should be something less cute/corny. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Fun and relavent to the area is for AA baseball. Top level sports should be something less cute/corny. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

A sea lion is hardly a jumbo shrimp or a baby cake.

To me, Sea Lions works in the same way the Penguins and Ducks do.

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Agree..

Signed,

The Penguins, Ducks, Dolphins, Orioles and Magic

Texas.gif

9 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

They'd have to buy that one from the Stars' ECHL farm club Idaho Steelheads.

I'm not 100%, but I think since the team wouldn't be named the "Idaho Steelheads," then they wouldn't need to buy the name. I mean, there are two teams called the Thunder in the AHL.

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

To me, Sea Lions works in the same way the Penguins and Ducks do.

Agreed, and it fits well with Seattle’s other pro teams.

Mariners

Sounders

Storm

Seahawks

Sea Lions

Go with a variation on blue / green colors and it’s a natural fit!

Kinda feels like the Sonics are the outlier now.

Archived