Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The nickname list may have just gotten narrowed down a little bit. According to Steve Mattson – the Director of Operations for the New Arena at Seattle Center – the name is going to be “water-related”.

https://www.bardown.com/new-information-on-seattle-s-potential-name-may-eliminate-some-current-favourites-1.1223118?fbclid=IwAR06t0_ULbEwnuinnSEse0mKo_Uve8AwCGY5pZN3AMNtUlugESl5B7hK-6Q

Pretty sure that the Bardown staff made the same jump from the Twitter quote that Webfooter did, equating "mascot" with "team name"....

It is what it is.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Pretty sure that the Bardown staff made the same jump from the Twitter quote that Webfooter did, equating "mascot" with "team name"....

If you listen to the video where Steve Mattson mentions the name is “water related”, it’s clear they are discussing the team name. 

13 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Currently?

Carolina Mudcats
Clearwater Threshers
Gwinnett Stripers
Idaho Steelheads
Jacksonville Sharks
Jupiter Hammerheads
Miami Marlins
Monterey Amberjacks
Pensacola Blue Wahoos
San Jose Barracuda
San Jose Sharks
South Carolina Stingrays
Tampa Tarpons
Toledo Walleye
White Sands Pupfish
Winnipeg Goldeyes

I meant specifically a fish, not a shark or stingray. And in the big four sports. I guess I did forget about Marlins though.

Excellent!

If it wasn't for the Canucks, I would say just use this for the Sockeyes on Kelowna Rockets jerseys and be done with it. 

IMG_8856.JPG

If the Canucks would just lose the stupid orca, this would be doable.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

22 hours ago, nash61 said:

If it wasn't for the Canucks, I would say just use this for the Sockeyes on Kelowna Rockets jerseys and be done with it. 

IMG_8856.JPG

That's a great look if "Sockeyes" is chosen. I would change the turquoise to Kelly green and go with all-Kelly green as the primary dark colour. The whole look would be a fitting tribute to the WHL Totems(First Nations style) and Metropolitans(green & red).

23 hours ago, nash61 said:

IMG_8856.JPG

While I am a big fan of the indigenous  PNW art style, it doesn’t work straight up as a logo. It’s far too intricate and detailed. I think it would be a cool direction to go in, but would need to be simplified/streamlined like the Seahawks logo.

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

I dunno. Sounds more like a journalist stretching a few quotes into a provocative headline. I mean, she’s basing this on “buzz” and some testimony from an artist who “a while ago” talked to a group of nameless persons associated with the team?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Good job distinguishing yourselves from your closest geographic rival! 

Considering that the rival in question has re-branded several times in its 40+ year history and has toyed with rebranding again in the last ten years, I'd argue that Seattle could soon have the "indigenous" look all to itself in the not too distant future. Who knows, maybe Seattle horning in on the aesthetic will be all the incentive Vancouver needs to finally commit to a Johnny Canuck based identity. 

That being said, when I hear "water themed" and "indigenous art" it's difficult to imagine how a brand based on a name like Sockeyes could successfully distinguish itself from the current Canucks identity.

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

Considering that the rival in question has re-branded several times in its 40+ year history and has toyed with rebranding again in the last ten years, I'd argue that Seattle could soon have the "indigenous" look all to itself in the not too distant future. Who knows, maybe Seattle horning in on the aesthetic will be all the incentive Vancouver needs to finally commit to a Johnny Canuck based identity. 

That being said, when I hear "water themed" and "indigenous art" it's difficult to imagine how a brand based on a name like Sockeyes could successfully distinguish itself from the current Canucks identity.

Well that’s the problem. And I find adopting a look that’s remincent of your closest geographic rivals in the hope that they’ll change to be risky. Sure, maybe the Canucks go all in on Johnny Canuck. 

Maybe they don’t, though. And the Seattle Whatevers are just stuck with an off-brand Canucks identity. 

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well that’s the problem. And I find adopting a look that’s remincent of your closest geographic rivals in the hope that they’ll change to be risky. Sure, maybe the Canucks go all in on Johnny Canuck. 

Maybe they don’t, though. And the Seattle Whatevers are just stuck with an off-brand Canucks identity. 

That's a valid concern, but I think the Seattle organization has the potential to execute an indigenous-based identity far better than Vancouver has. The fact that Vancouver has added so many logos in the past decade that fall outside that particular design aesthetic suggests to me that it's not seen as central to their brand. Yes, at the end of the day their primary is heavily influenced by indigenous design, but I think a person would be hard pressed to make the argument that they own it. 

Maybe a better question to ask is to what extent is the indigenous design aesthetic synonymous with Seattle? Does the community have a strong enough affinity for that aesthetic to the point that it outweighs any potential confusion and/or brand dilution that might occur with Vancouver?

9 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

That's a valid concern

It’s far more than that. They’re betting another team, whom they have no control over, will change their branding. Why should the Canucks change?

Yes, at the end of the day their primary is heavily influenced by indigenous design, but I think a person would be hard pressed to make the argument that they own it. 

The Canucks are currently the only team in the NHL that used indigenous Pacific Northwest art. They own it as far as the NHL goes. Don’t be silly. 

Maybe a better question to ask is to what extent is the indigenous design aesthetic synonymous with Seattle? Does the community have a strong enough affinity for that aesthetic to the point that it outweighs any potential confusion and/or brand dilution that might occur with Vancouver?

pssst

Any claim you can make about Seattle having a connection to indigenous designs you can make about Vancouver. And Vancouver’s had their Pacific Northwest Native art-inspired logo since 1997. 

It is silly to create a “water themed indigenous style logo” when your closest geographic rival does the exact same thing. Doesn’t exactly make good branding when you’re a new identity aping your 50 year old neighbour.

That said, Seattle can have the native art style for all I care as Vancouver doesn’t exactly pull it off very well. Like it’s been said maybe that’ll finally be the incentive to drop that dumb cetacean from the branding and go with Johnny or the Rink or whatever. As long as they don’t ever stray from blue and green again.

Archived