Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

54 minutes ago, SHaMROCK said:

No team is going to begin using native name/imagery in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.  Teams with a legacy with native imagery are under constant pressure/attack to change.  TOTEMS will never happen, not even a slight consideration!!!

Totems is as offensive as Thunderbirds, so not at all. The issue the Native population has with teams such as the Redskins & Indians is because they portray stereotypical and arguably racist views of the people. Totems does not do that. (Can I just say I think it was dumb to have NoDak change their nickname while Fighting Irish is still acceptable).

31 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Baseball has a team named the "Nationals" despite having a "National League."

Then again, most people call the league the NL instead of National League so it somewhat blurs the lines. However, the Metro Division is only called such. I personally don't have an issue with it.

24 minutes ago, M4One said:

Still, why name the new professional team after the old junior team?

Because it's one hell of a name. However, I don't think they should go with Thunderbirds either because then they'd have 2 pro sports teams named after Native-inspired birds.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Well, that's just stupid.  How is the name Totems disrespectful in the slightest.

me personally, the name Totems is a nice name (and shows the local area history).  a Totem Pole is a real work of art:

Image result for totem pole natural history museum dc 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Well, that's just stupid.  How is the name Totems disrespectful in the slightest.

well this wouldn't fly today too (pre ww2 Swastika i.e the good luck one).  thanks Hitler/Nazi's for ruining about a 11,000 symbol.     

Windsor Swastikas hockey team Dark Outfits 1910.jpg

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

well this wouldn't fly today too (pre ww2 Swastika i.e the good luck one).  thanks Hitler/Nazi's for ruining about a 11,000 symbol.     

Windsor Swastikas hockey team Dark Outfits 1910.jpg

when i went here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapidan_Camp

the park ranger had to say something about the swastika inside (saying it was the good luck one).  because kids today think of the Nazi when they think of the swastika.  

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This is fantastic.  And, Pilots are Flyers, so we'd have an entry for ColeJ's other thread.

vf2422415056263.5635919f0ced7.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, M4One said:

Forgot about the Nationals, but I still think it's a bad name.  Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa all have junior teams, so I wouldn't completely rule it out that the T-Birds would stick around.  Yes, Calgary and Edmonton are owned by the Flames and Oilers, but Vancouver and Ottawa aren't.  Still, why name the new professional team after the old junior team?

They don't, however, have NBA teams.

Seattle undoubtedly would.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about:

Seattle Baristas (Coffee and cream team colors)?

Seattle Starpucks?  LOL  

Seattle Grunge Warriors (with a bearded guy on Mt. Ranier on the jersey)?   

Seattle Washingtons (Put George's face on the jersey)

Yes, I'm kidding.  But Starpucks could have a great logo....lol

10 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

It's a little punny and probably better served for a minor league team but I've always thought Seattle Freeze would be a good name.

Freeze was considered for what would become the Wild.  It was almost as bad as Wild.

14 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

when i went here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapidan_Camp

the park ranger had to say something about the swastika inside (saying it was the good luck one).  because kids today think of the Nazi when they think of the swastika.  

Not kids.  Everyone.

15 minutes ago, Proc said:

How about:

Seattle Baristas (Coffee and cream team colors)?

Seattle Starpucks?  LOL  

Seattle Grunge Warriors (with a bearded guy on Mt. Ranier on the jersey)?   

Seattle Washingtons (Put George's face on the jersey)

Yes, I'm kidding.  But Starpucks could have a great logo....lol

Starpucks is the "Hockey Tonks" of the Pacific Northwest.

If Seattle'd been awarded an expansion team in, say 1995, they may have given legitimate consideration to using the grunge theme.  Would have been about as timeless as Raptors.

Honestly, Baristas would not be the worst name in the league (OK, that's a tough feet with "Wild" being around).  It's kinda cheesy, but I like your color idea.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't agree with the idea that all of Seattle's teams should follow the same Navy blue and green color schemes. The Sonics had a great color scheme  and if they ever do return I would want them to go back to that. Also, the Mariners should ideally be blue and yellow (my personal opinion). So really that would just make it the Seahawks and Sounders with similar colors, but they also share a stadium so it kind of makes sense.

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is fantastic.  And, Pilots are Flyers, so we'd have an entry for ColeJ's other thread.

vf2422415056263.5635919f0ced7.png

Thanks. I need to make some fixes. This was one of the first logos I tried when I was teaching myself illustrator. The whole project is damn near ten years old by now. 

21 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Freeze was considered for what would become the Wild.  It was almost as bad as Wild.

I still think I'd prefer if the Columbus Chill name had been promoted to the NHL team over the Blue Jackets. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Thanks. I need to make some fixes. This was one of the first logos I tried when I was teaching myself illustrator. The whole project is damn near ten years old by now. 

I still think I'd prefer if the Columbus Chill name had been promoted to the NHL team over the Blue Jackets. 

On each wing, I am seeing "GOD."  You have what looks like a backwards "D", a dot, and then a frontwards "D." The little notch in the backwards "D" makes it look like a G.  It did not hit me right away, but once it did...

(Maybe that would happen to literally nobody else) 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I always thought Seattle Sea Lions would be cool. There was a badass sparky chewbarky concept kicking around a while back.

Sockeye could work as well. As would Pilots.

I think the Thunderbirds would stick around. They've got enough of a following to co-exist with an NHL team (similar to the Chicago Wolves) and especially since they play in the burbs. Unfortunately though, because it's an incredible identity. 

sig.png

I am going to throw "Seattle Sasquatch" into the ring.  Not a big fan of Totems or Thunderbirds despite the history of them.  The S with "Seattle" written in it may be nostalgic but it is a horrible logo (ie. if it were created now, with no history to it, it would be laughed right off this entire website.)  Not all "classics" are good designs.  

Archived