Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

23 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Which is why I see an opportunity for this fictional Seattle team. Have the owners get with the nations representatives. The owners say that they want to go in the direction of an indigenous mascot and name but want the nations to come up with the name and the symbol that would be on the sweater. Also, ever home game would include prominant displays on the history and culture of the local tribes of the greater Seattle area. And a portion of the gate receipts goes to the Native American College Fund. I think with the input and endorsement from the nations it could be a neat package.

And if the nations decline then call the team Seattle Fighting Irish and use a leprechaun like Notre Dame. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Didn't North Dakota do that?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Except Seattle Freeze actually is something. As far as I know, Minnesota Freeze isn't.

I had to google that one.  Not something to promote or really latch onto. Ultimately it's a less-well-understood Heat.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I experienced the Seattle Freeze firsthand, but I think it's over discussed and took on a life of its own. Most of my friends while living there happened to be from the midwest, but a lot of them were born and raised Seattle coworkers. Truth be told it was no worse than the "where'd you go to [high] school?" provincial Cincinnati or "which branch of The Limited do you work for?" shallow Columbus. Making friends as an adult is hard. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

But, seriously, some of my favorites -- previously used and new ...

Seattle Thunderbirds

Seattle Metros

Seattle Pilots

Seattle Totems

Seattle Sasquatch

Seattle Reign

Seattle Gem Knights (semi-kidding)

Seattle Coyotes

Seattle Panthers

Seattle Hurricanes

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

My take: we need purple in the NHL. There is minimal if any. I'd love to see a purple and/or light blue team. I think they should come up with their own new identity. Mets is boring. Totems can be offensive to this world today. I'd love to see something naval, militaristic like the oceanic in rimouski. Just not red white and blue please. And don't pick the same colors as the canucks. I'm cool with another green and blue but they better be different than the canucks colors. Aka light blue/ dark green. Obviously you can't make me completely happy but hitting a few of these is great

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Just doing a random search, it seems that the NHL has acquired the rights to the Seattle Metropolitans in Canada. The league still doesn't have the rights in the US however.  but interesting nonetheless.

As far as names, Metropolitans is definitely an antiquated name and certainly doesn't have the same weight behind it like in New York or other larger cities that come to mind with the word.  And while some don't like the idea of historical name precedence, it's still a thing and it helps connect a legacy.  Ottawa is easily the best case with the original Senators existing way back when and the new expansion resurrecting the name.  Does this mean they have to resurrect the Metros identity? not at all.  But it does come with an interesting air of "Old Time Hockey" that a lot of clubs are trying to emulate.  Imagine having the ability to resurrect an identity that technically precedes the O6 era! Plus Metros is a pretty swanky nickname. 

3 hours ago, flyersfan said:

My take: we need purple in the NHL. There is minimal if any. I'd love to see a purple and/or light blue team. I think they should come up with their own new identity. Mets is boring. Totems can be offensive to this world today. I'd love to see something naval, militaristic like the oceanic in rimouski. Just not red white and blue please. And don't pick the same colors as the canucks. I'm cool with another green and blue but they better be different than the canucks colors. Aka light blue/ dark green. Obviously you can't make me completely happy but hitting a few of these is great

I think any team going into Seattle including the Sonics 2.0 should adopt a blue (navy or royal), green (kelly, teal, lime), silver palette.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Portland has an arena, Seattle doesn't. For relocation, Portland is move-in-ready. Seattle is more of a plan ahead and expand kind of market.

If the Coyotes move, it makes more sense to take them someplace that has an arena. I mean, that's why they are moving, right? Arena being out of town causing low attendance, new arena not happening. Why move to Seattle and play in Tacoma until a new rink gets built?

And if they move, the NHL won't have them move to Quebec or Hamilton. Why? Because they know they can get full new franchise money out of those places.

But I'd love to see more cities pull a Pittsburgh and have all their teams in the same scheme. Try to think of the word Pittsburgh and not think of black and yellow. Impossible.

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

An arena with an owner who seems ambivalent at best about NHL hockey. 

Well, he wants to own part of the team if they play there, or at least part of it. He won't be enthusiastic about another owner bringing a team in.

They came really close to getting the Penguins once upon a time. And rumor has it they almost got the Coyotes in 2013. I would love to see teams in both of those cities. I'd love to see a hated rivalry like the Cascadia Cup only for hockey... Vancouver/Seattle/Portland make travel easy for all the Western teams, including the Alberta teams.

I know this is partially me being biased to wanting a team in Portland. But I really do think they would support a team well. And right now my favorite NHL team is anyone who plays the Wings or the Canucks. I'd love to have an actual team to support. Likely, that would be whichever PNW team lands first. And since I spend more time in Portland, I hope it's there.

10 minutes ago, webdav said:

I know this is partially me being biased to wanting a team in Portland.

Yes. And here's the thing. This isn't the "Portland NHL Brand Discussion." This thread is about the branding possibilities of a Seattle-based team.

If you want to talk about the branding possiblities of a Portland NHL team? Well you can start that thread. That would be fine.

And if you want to talk about Portland's ability to support a team? This is the thread for that. 

21 minutes ago, BeaverSports said:

How about Seattle Cranes? You can tap into the Frasier fan base and probably make a cool logo with it. They're also known as a species of bird that fights in packs and a very honoured creature in Asian mythology, which may be a demographic they can capture.

Tap into the Frasier fan base?  I'm not sure that's a top-50 priority for an NHL owner.  

And I'm pretty sure the Asian fanbase will attend hockey if the team name is a crane or not.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived