Canadian Premier League

nas1787

So you may have heard that Canada is set to launch a brand new domestic soccer league sometime soon. No concrete details yet on league structure or clubs, but some info has been leaking out--including that the league will likely be called the Canadian Premier League. Here's my attempt at a fairly realistic look at what we might see when the league is finally announced (hopefully next month).

KP8s7LT.png

bcdob2e.png

VJDaXqV.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your take on the CPL and the brand identity. There is a few identities floating around (created by football supporters on the Voyageurs forum). Unfortunately there will only be 6-8 clubs starting play in 2018 with Hamilton being for sure as one of them. Other perspective clubs are Halifax, Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto, Waterloo-Windsor. I was speaking to the owners of the Victoria Highlanders FC  of the USL PDL and there is no plan on jumping to CPL. Nor is there another Victoria-based group looking at going into CPL.

I'm looking forward to seeing this concept series play out. 

NpTodZP.png

The map graphic is a bit misleading, as not all of these 12 clubs would enter in 2018 (or whenever the first season is). It will be clearer as I introduce the clubs, but 6 to start, with 2 new clubs every other year, so 12 clubs total by 2024.

I have also seen little interest from Victoria or anywhere in BC, but I wanted to make sure they were represented, so that the league is truly coast to coast.

Awesome, excited for this.

Seems like we'll see 6 teams next year. Halifax and Hamilton seem to be a lock. Haven't heard anything further but I suspect there will not be a team in an MLS city right away.  I know Toronto FC is opposed to it (they want TFC 2 to be the team but this isn't going to be a league for "farm teams"). That's not the point of this thread though so I digress......

I love the CPL logo you have created. Really looking forward to your takes on all the teams. Do you plan on using 1 uniform supplier? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

7 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Awesome, excited for this.

Seems like we'll see 6 teams next year. Halifax and Hamilton seem to be a lock. Haven't heard anything further but I suspect there will not be a team in an MLS city right away.  I know Toronto FC is opposed to it (they want TFC 2 to be the team but this isn't going to be a league for "farm teams"). That's not the point of this thread though so I digress......

I love the CPL logo you have created. Really looking forward to your takes on all the teams. Do you plan on using 1 uniform supplier? 

Yeah no farm teams in my league, and yes one kit supplier. Given the CSA's close relationship with Umbro, I figure that's most likely what's going to happen.

The first team in is Hamilton. They are a lock for a club with the league being headquartered there. Black and gold is also a given. I thought about reviving the Steelers but wanted to go for original identities as much as possible. Hamilton United has been trademarked, so it's likely that's what the club will be called.

The crest features a chain and flower, similar to the city's flag. The secondary logo is an H meant to look like the end of a steel beam. (I should mention each team will have a primary crest plus a secondary logo used either as a jock tag or on the back of the neck). The home has hoops cause I like them, and the clash is an homage to old the old Steelers look.

h6gN6DT.png

I love the chain but I think the crest would be vastly improved if they weren't only radii of the main circle and more of the shapes seen in a realistic chain, and even in a dark grey or silver (if you feel so inclined to add that in, but I can see it in my mind's eye being a metallic stitching and looking great in-person). I think you can really accentuate the chain here, it seems like a key piece but underdeveloped IMO.

I got the I-Beam connection right away, looks great. Kit is clean and reminds me of Hull, which is probably appropriate.

Second team in is Ottawa. This is the only case where I kept a current club. All signs seem to point to the Fury joining the CPL as soon as it launches. The crest is one that I've used for a previous Fury concept, I just loved it so much I didn't know how I'd improve it. I made a secondary logo of the Peace Tower on the Parliament building in the same style as the main crest. I wanted to return Ottawa to a primarily black kit, as I think it's a shame they just look like a knock off TFC currently. I loved the PSG-style centre stripe of their first kits, so went back to that look, and made a matching "phantom-stripe" version as the clash kit.

yZZ6YX3.png

Those first two team concepts of Hamilton and Ottawa are by far a thing of beauty mate! Are you using Umbro as a league-wide kit manufacturer? I know CSA is contracted to Umbro for 5 years about I don't see CPL having the same deal with a kit manufacturer like MLS does with Adidas. Either way mate...Bring on the rest of the series.

On a side note, where did you get that football kit template? Loving it! Is it available anywhere for download or is it of your own design?

NpTodZP.png

16 hours ago, ThierryH14 said:

Those first two team concepts of Hamilton and Ottawa are by far a thing of beauty mate! Are you using Umbro as a league-wide kit manufacturer? I know CSA is contracted to Umbro for 5 years about I don't see CPL having the same deal with a kit manufacturer like MLS does with Adidas. Either way mate...Bring on the rest of the series.

On a side note, where did you get that football kit template? Loving it! Is it available anywhere for download or is it of your own design?

I disagree. I think it's pretty much a lock that the CPL will have a league wide kit deal. It's the way things are done in NA and makes way too much sense financially. Given the CSA's close relationship with Umbro, I would not be surprised at all to see them as a major sponsor. 

And yes yes the model is of my own making. I have a psd file of it that I'm willing to share. Just PM me. 

Next up is Halifax. Despite being a smaller city with no current suitable stadium, there is a very vocal ownership group in the city with plans for a pop-up downtown stadium. It seems almost a lock that they will be joining in 2018. It seems that Halifax FC is the preferred name, but I decided to go with something a bit more interesting. I just love the name Kingfishers and thought it could make a great identity. The shape of the secondary is a nod to Citadel Hill in the city. The blue and copper colours come straight from the belted kingfisher native to the area, and I added the teal colour for a bit of extra pop. I think the teal and blue stripes is pretty unique in world football and helps to convey a maritime feel to the team. The clash kit features the reversed St. Andrew's cross of the Nova Scotia flag.

ROsps4K.png

Archived