Canadian Premier League

nas1787

Well done! 

I doubt the real Halifax club (should it be Halifax FC as rumored or anything else) will look as good as yours. 

The reasoning behind the name and colours makes perfect sense. There are a number of different ties in to the community but none of it is "over designed" or over stated, if that makes sense.

I know i'm gushing a bit but man, I really like it a lot!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving the series so far. The league logo and Peace Tower are especially great. The ring around the Peace Tower seems to be of a different width than the main logo and I was wondering if that was intentional or not. I would double the motion of flipping the "FOOTBALL CLUB". Keep up the great work up.

21 hours ago, kerlonmoura said:

I really like everything you posted, but for Halifax, I would suggest you to flip the part where it says "Football Club" upside down. Can't wait to see more of these, great job!

Yeah I could definitely give that a try

9 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Well done! 

I doubt the real Halifax club (should it be Halifax FC as rumored or anything else) will look as good as yours. 

The reasoning behind the name and colours makes perfect sense. There are a number of different ties in to the community but none of it is "over designed" or over stated, if that makes sense.

I know i'm gushing a bit but man, I really like it a lot!

Thanks for the kind words!

3 hours ago, Casablanca said:

Loving the series so far. The league logo and Peace Tower are especially great. The ring around the Peace Tower seems to be of a different width than the main logo and I was wondering if that was intentional or not. I would double the motion of flipping the "FOOTBALL CLUB". Keep up the great work up.

The width of the lines in Ottawa's two logos are the same when the logos are the same size. It only looks smaller in the second because the logo is smaller.

After Halifax is the completely opposite coast and Vancouver Island. Royal Athletic Victoria is named after the club's home ground, Royal Athletic Park. The crest features the chevron shield of the city of Victoria's coat of arms, re-coloured to the club's green and navy. In the centre of the shield is a dogwood flower, BC's official flower. Befitting a team with the name royal, the crown jewels sits on top of the shield. The secondary logo is a simplified BC flag.The home kit is a bit of a green Arsenal look, with some tonal chevron stripes on the front. The clash uses the navy in a split shirt.

F3c0WDP.png

Calgary is in with a red and double grey look, kind of similar to Toronto FC. I liked Colts just as a slightly-but-not-too Western theme, and the crest features a wildrose in addition to the colt. The secondary is a take on Calgary's city flag. The home kit is pretty simple, with a stylized rendering of the Bow River across the front. The clash kit is a gradient fade between the two greys.

5cypiiP.png

I really like that Calgary set! I especially think that the recoloured Calgary logo works especially. I'm not sure you need the second shade of red, as I can only spot it in one location and I think it would look just as good with the main red. Great work!

I think you nailed the colours for both Victoria and Calgary.

I love both secondary logos. Gotta have a horse with Calgary...that whole stampeded tie in, love that too.

My only criticism is that the wildrose in the Calgary badge kind of looks out of place. It's just kind of "there".  Not that I can think of a better way to apply it. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

15 hours ago, Casablanca said:

I really like that Calgary set! I especially think that the recoloured Calgary logo works especially. I'm not sure you need the second shade of red, as I can only spot it in one location and I think it would look just as good with the main red. Great work!

You're right, it's only used on the main badge, so it probably doesn't warrant being an official colour.

12 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

I think you nailed the colours for both Victoria and Calgary.

I love both secondary logos. Gotta have a horse with Calgary...that whole stampeded tie in, love that too.

My only criticism is that the wildrose in the Calgary badge kind of looks out of place. It's just kind of "there".  Not that I can think of a better way to apply it. 

I agree the wildrose is kind of tacked on. I kind of like how it fills the empty space myself, but I can totally see why it might not sit right with everyone.

The last of the original six clubs is Winnipeg. With the Fury name already taken, I couldn't bring back the old Winnipeg Fury of the 1980's CSL, so I went with Strike instead. It works both in the sense of striking a ball, but also the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919. I paid homage to the old Fury in the design of the primary crest. the secondary is a torch, meant to evoke the torch being held by the Golden Boy, a statue which sits atop the Manitoba legislature building. The colours hearken a bit to the old Fury, but also the colours of the ribbon of the Order of Manitoba.

WBUXU6m.png

The way I see it, the CPL should add 2 new clubs every two years until they reach 12 total teams. For the first wave of expansion in 2020, I figure either FC Edmonton or the NASL (or both) will be done for, opening up the opportunity for a new team in the city. I went with an orange and blue colour scheme to call back to the old Drillers, as well as the Oilers. The name 1795 comes from the year of the founding of the first trading fort in the area. The crest features a marigold, the official flower of Edmonton, and wings, representing the city's aviation heritage. The secondary logo features a beaver in the same style, as a nod to the old Fort Edmonton. I tried working within the constraints of an Umbro template for the primary (based on Everton's current home kit) and went with a white shirt with orange sleeves and tonal pinstripes on the clash.

H3dvFW6.png

Edmonton looks great! I especially like the look of the beaver and the intricacy of the latticed marigold. The one thing that's bothering me is the inconsistency between the wings which have a background, and the beaver that doesn't.

On 01/05/2017 at 1:25 PM, Casablanca said:

Edmonton looks great! I especially like the look of the beaver and the intricacy of the latticed marigold. The one thing that's bothering me is the inconsistency between the wings which have a background, and the beaver that doesn't.

Yeah I think I need to add the background to the secondary logo, it just doesn't show up well without it.

Ok the second team in for 2020 is Toronto. There's been lots of words from TFC president Bill Manning about the CanPL in Toronto, but I think it's inevitable. If you want the league to be successful, a Toronto team is a must. I chose the name Dukes, which has been used here on the boards before (I most definitely stole it from chrisCLEMENT's NFA series. It's a great unique name, with a local tie (Toronto used to be called York, after the Duke of York). Plus, I've always wanted to make a soccer crest out of the heraldic belt, and this was the perfect opportunity (check out the current Duke of York's Twitter image). In the middle of the belt is a trillium flower, Ontario's official flower. The secondary logo is a large D with the CN Tower protruding out of it.

I wanted to use blue in the colour scheme, but in a different way than the Argos/Leafs/Jays. What I came up with was a white and navy colour scheme, with the home kit primarily white rather than blue. I went with a sash on the shirt and hooped socks. The clash is a lighter blue from head to toe with pin hoops.

0SyBlaa.png

And the second team for 2022 is Quebec City. The crest is a fleur de lis, with a Q integrated into it. The secondary logo features the ship and ramparts from the city's flag. The colours are pretty typical Quebec, and hearken back to the old Nordiques. The home kit has a cross pattern, kind of like the Quebec flag, and the clash kit has tonal fleur de lis across it.

pPs5XuK.png

Haven't been on here for ages, and got to say you're still killing it with the work.

Everything looks great to me, just the Toronto home font. The silver looks very off putting for me and clashes with the whole kit; I would rather see it white with a navy border and somewhere around those lines.

77QSUj8.pngqCeHhp1.png?1

So good news: the Canadian Premier League was officially announced today. Because of that I thought I'd finish up this thread.

Two more clubs in 2024 makes for 12 total. The first up is Grand River FC. They play out of Waterloo, but are branded to try and appeal to a wider audience (Kitchener, Guelph, Cambridge, Brantford). The crest features a feather as a nod to the First Nations heritage of the region and the Grand River. There's also a river, obviously, and the shape is meant to evoke the Bavarian flag diamond pattern, as KW has a massive German heritage. The secondary logo features willow leaves, as the Mohawk called the Grand River the Willow River. The home kit is based a bit around West Ham's 2015/16 away kit, while the clash features the Bavarian flag pattern. 

QQJsqY3.png

Archived