Toronto Blue Jays white front panel caps question

johnnysama

Lately, I've noticed that the Toronto Blue Jays, when they introduced their new-generation white front panel cap with their current look a few years back, only wore them sparingly. This season, I'm seeing them more often, and on top of this, the team has also introduced an accompanying white front panel batting helmet. Is this now part of their regular look or something?

UBwef0L.png

Well, I recall the '14 ASG cap effectively being brought back in the following seasons to be worn on occasion. Then a proper 5950 variant was released both to fans and I assume to the team, as that also started to get worn every so often. So I think by now, regardless of whether it's officially on the team's style guide or not, it does appear to make periodic appearances. Probably a decision made by the starting pitcher.

Frankly, I wish it would be their primary cap like it used to be with the Jays. Looks much better than the plain blue cap, IMO.

3 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

It was never originally included in the current identity. It has been used a few times for special occasions, and is now in the regular uni rotation

Wonder how much of it was a planned marketing decision. The lack of a white-paneled cap in the '12 redesign was sorely noted, and the Jays probably got a ton of requests to bring them back. They started to appear sporadically beginning in 2014 or so. I know I've bought one since New Era starting making them. I'd be curious how the sales on them are doing.

Just now, Quillz said:

The lack of a white-paneled cap in the '12 redesign was sorely noted, and the Jays probably got a ton of requests to bring them back.

I'm not so sure about that. The original white-panelled caps were ditched in 1992 after a losing streak, and they wore the solid blue caps all the way to back to back World Series titles. That gave the white-panelled cap a bit a reputation for being bad luck. 

I remember the 2012 redesign because I was out buying a cap and jersey as soon as they were available. It was a very popular redesign in Ontario, and I don't remember hearing anyone bemoan the lack of the white-panelled caps. 

They brought it back as sort of a specialty bp cap, and now it's made its way into the rotation. It's gained new life now that enough time has past to shed it of the bad luck stank, but I never recall it being super popular.

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not so sure about that. The original white-panelled caps were ditched in 1992 after a losing streak, and they wore the solid blue caps all the way to back to back World Series titles. That gave the white-panelled cap a bit a reputation for being bad luck. 

That is true, but not all believe in superstition. Certainly, there was a lot of nostalgia for the white-paneled caps, especially after the era of the Graphite and Black Jays. Maybe the Jays were opposed to reviving it at first, but I remember when they announced that the caps would be returning for some game back in 2014, they sold out very quickly. So I think there was some demand for them.

And while I'm aware the starting pitcher usually determines the uniform combo, believe it or not, I'm actually getting tired of seeing the blue jerseys over and over again. Seems like it's been forever the Jays last wore their home whites. (Okay, it probably hasn't been very long at all). I do wish the Jays would adopt a proper uniform rotation schedule. I like the way some teams, like the Royals, do things. They clearly define when an alternate will or will not be worn, and stick to it. Some teams like the Jays, it's so random you never know what they're going to look like.

Just now, Quillz said:

Certainly, there was a lot of nostalgia for the white-paneled caps, especially after the era of the Graphite and Black Jays.

I don't recall that at all. There was certainly a lot of nostalgia and demand for the World Series look, and that's the look the team used as the basis for the redesign. 

I don't recall any nostalgia specifically aimed at the white-panelled caps though. I don't think anyone but us noticed they were missing :\

I agree, they proved very popular in 2014. That doesn't mean there was an outcry of support for them in 2012 though. 

With the way MLB had expanded the bp cap program for the sake of merch sales? It was inevitable that the Jays would dip back into the white-panelled design again. Simply due to needing designs to churn out. 

l like the solid blue hats are the better look. However, I like the look of the white-paneled hat. If they're going to wear it, they should wear it for every home game. Oh, and only wear the blue jerseys once a week.

Also, mad props to the Jays for making batting helmets to match the hats. They did the right thing in a world where we have dumbass teams refusing to make helmets matching road hats they wear 81 times a year. If I was the commissioner, first thing I'd do is require teams to make a set of batting helmets matching each hat in their normal rotation. Second thing is remove the New Era logo from the hats. #OldRoman4Commish

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think Chris or Lukas tweeted out this week a tidbit about Tulo being the one who is deciding on when they wear the white panel caps.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

A few notes:

The Jays stopped using the home white panel caps midway through 1993, they still used them through the 1992 season.

Shown below is Alomar and Borders getting their 1992 WS rings at the start of the 1993 season:

Image result for 1993 world series rings

These caps are actually quite hard to find, as New Era updated the caps for the 1993 season, but they were only worn for a short time.

No, the 2014 ASG caps are not the same as the real white panel caps.

2014 ASG:  Notice the white is pinched at the top, similar to the 70's style batting helmets.

Related image

2015 they wore them only once, and as you can see, they are similar, but unlike the ASG caps the previous year, the entire front panels are white.

For some reason, they decided to use the blue alt jerseys with the white panels, a combo that was never used in franchise history, as the blue alts were not used until 1994.

Jays White Panel

For 2016 they wore them for a few events, but it wasn't a regular alternate.

Now this season, it can be worn during any home game, as it's an official alt, as has been mentioned.

The best part is they finally brought back the white panel helmets, which absolutely have been missing since the 2012 re-brand.

Image result for 2015 blue jays white panel cap

The only issue I have now is that Russel Martin didn't get the memo, as he is the only player, (base coaches included), that doesn't yet have a white panel helmet.

banners

1 minute ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Now I want that All-Star pinched hat

I've got the 3930 variant of it (as that style is more comfortable for me), and I really like it. Given the Jays already had a history of white-paneled caps, the look works for them perfectly. But that template was pretty bad for most other teams.

Just now, Quillz said:

I've got the 3930 variant of it (as that style is more comfortable for me), and I really like it. Given the Jays already had a history of white-paneled caps, the look works for them perfectly. But that template was pretty bad for most other teams.

Oh absolutely. I only like it because it makes sense and basically existed (to an extent).

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/19/2017 at 11:25 PM, TheOldRoman said:

l like the solid blue hats are the better look. However, I like the look of the white-paneled hat. If they're going to wear it, they should wear it for every home game. Oh, and only wear the blue jerseys once a week.

Also, mad props to the Jays for making batting helmets to match the hats. They did the right thing in a world where we have dumbass teams refusing to make helmets matching road hats they wear 81 times a year. If I was the commissioner, first thing I'd do is require teams to make a set of batting helmets matching each hat in their normal rotation. Second thing is remove the New Era logo from the hats. #OldRoman4Commish

I agree. Bugs me the Astros don't have an orange-billed helmet nor do they have a orange helmet with a blue bill for the Sunday home games. Also bugged me they never had a red batting helmet to go with the red caps in the old crappy red-and-black days. The batting helmet is supposed to be an extension of the cap. Make 'em match or have only one cap.

Death to all white-panel caps.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the white jerseys look best when paired with the all-blue cap and the all-blue jerseys look best with the white panel cap... even though I know this wouldn't jibe with the team's uniform history. The same goes with the Orioles and their jersey combos. There's just too much white with white tops, bottoms and the panel. 

Archived