Unusual Color Scheme

leopard88

I just saw a color scheme used in bathroom tile trim that (1) looked interesting to me and (2) seemed to me like it would be unique in sports.  It was basically dark plum, light navy/dark royal and white.

I tried to take a picture of the tile, but the plum looked almost brown in the pictures.  My best approximation is below (though maybe a hair dark on the plum).  Sorry the plum swatch is so big.

Two questions --

1.  Am I right about this combination being unique (or close to unique) in sports?

2.  Does anyone else think it would look good for the appropriate team?

Large_UP-280.jpg    

4262ef26d14e3f8b25fc99fdc138d0a2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 minutes ago, Proc said:

Somewhat reminds me of the MIchigan Panthers of the USFL. 

I was thinking that too, but I think both of their shades were lighter . . . sort of like the picture above.

Still one of my all time favorite football uniforms.

usfl-panthers.gifaf29a04decf33726083e9ed7bf930412.jpg

f97096245e042eb36fcea9bcc3efeef0.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Hmmm.

1.  Am I right about this combination being unique (or close to unique) in sports? Yes. Previous posts make some good points toward that; probably the closest is a shade of maroon/claret/burgundy-- a little more to the red side of plum-- and a noticeably lighter shade of blue. That scheme is/was used by quite a few teams including the Turkish one above, the Colorado Avalanche, and the Michigan Panthers (who also used metallic champagne).  Other examples include the current Colorado Rapids, the OLD 1970s Phillies (away, at least) and several European soccer teams (such as West Ham United, Aston Villa, and Crystal Palace). 

Another example in the past is the "Maroon and Blue" era of the NY Knicks  from '79 to '84, but that had a darker navy and the maroon essentially looked RED in most shots I've seen:

knicks_uni_050223_05.jpgmichael-ray-robinson.jpg

2.  Does anyone else think it would look good for the appropriate team?  No, specifically because those two colors in proximity to one another are too dark -- there is not enough contrast. A similar example was when the AAA New Orleans Zephyrs switched from Kelly green and royal blue to pine/forest green and navy blue-- it didn't work; it was tough to differentiate between the two, especially at a distance or during a night game.  I'll also say that's why quite a few people (including myself) think the Eagles' use of Midnight Green with Black  (as with their alt unis, such as the one below) is particularly egregious:

20140815_mje_aa6_714.jpg.0.jpg

It is what it is.

Just a quick mock-up of how something in those colors might look in "dark jersey" capacity, with some white trim. Lightened up the plum a bit from your swatch.

example.thumb.jpg.6009bb01a82bcb5854e7926faf9627c1.jpg

Bottom one looks better. Definitely original, but a little hard on the eyes.

It is what it is.

I would think the blue and plum work better with some white separating them and/or as trim on a white jersey.

When I saw the tile trim, it was a single row of 4" tiles in a P/W/B/B/W/P/P/W/B/B/W/P pattern on a full wall of 4" white tiles.  I don't think blue and plum ever touched, if memory serves me.

Archived