Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EvilChameleon

Is it possible to be a fan of a league but not any of the teams in that league?

29 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Viper said:

I've sort of been that way with the NLL after the Swarm left Minnesota. I did adopt Colorado as my new nominal "favorite" NLL team, but I don't really go out of my way to watch the Mammoth much more than any other team in that league.

 

Question regarding your fandom of the Packers and everything else Minnesota-based basically. Growing up, I was a Browns/Indians/Cavs/Penguins fan, and watched any games I could. It wasn't until I was older and actually started attending games and realized the same fans of teams I didn't like (Steelers) were fans of a team I liked (Penguins) and I eventually just stopped supporting them. Primarily because there was finally an Ohio team to support, even if far away in Columbus, because it wasn't Pittsburgh. So, how can you support Green Bay despite basically liking teams whose fans most likely are supporting the Vikings as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2017 at 4:39 PM, Sykotyk said:

 

Question regarding your fandom of the Packers and everything else Minnesota-based basically. Growing up, I was a Browns/Indians/Cavs/Penguins fan, and watched any games I could. It wasn't until I was older and actually started attending games and realized the same fans of teams I didn't like (Steelers) were fans of a team I liked (Penguins) and I eventually just stopped supporting them. Primarily because there was finally an Ohio team to support, even if far away in Columbus, because it wasn't Pittsburgh. So, how can you support Green Bay despite basically liking teams whose fans most likely are supporting the Vikings as well?

 

That's a long story. Suffice it to say it probably wouldn't have happened without (1) the North Stars moving to Dallas, the Timberwolves almost moving to New Orleans, and the Vikings starting to clamor for a new stadium - and start to flirt with Los Angeles - all within the span of a couple of years in the '90s, and (2) several members of my extended family and most of my college pals also being Packers fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm a huge NASCAR fan, since Jeff Gordon retired, I've become a fan of the sport itself, though I still have my preferences.

 

With College Football, I'm definitely a fan of the "league". Everyone here loves THE Ohio State, but I just love the tradition and pageantry surrounding the game. I love learning each school's individual quirks that make gameday exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, Viper said:

I've sort of been that way with the NLL after the Swarm left Minnesota. I did adopt Colorado as my new nominal "favorite" NLL team, but I don't really go out of my way to watch the Mammoth much more than any other team in that league.

Yeah, same here, with the Swarm. I got really into them, but when they left MN, it trailed off. I'm still a fan of the NLL and MLL but I don't really have a team, in either. I eventually had to realize that the Boston Cannons weren't really my favorite, I just wanted to have a favorite team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being brazilian I can say that for pretty much all the american leagues. I do have a prefered team in all of them, but generally I watch the league and like a lot of teams.

That said I would support my team (Flamengo) in any sport against any other club from any other league (just like I did when we played against NBA teams), even if it's my prefered team on that league, so that might mean I watch the american leagues but don't actually support any team.

Also, I follow the MLS and it's the only american league on which I don't have a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could be a fan of any league and not have a team from either of the big four to really call your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 10:12 PM, infrared41 said:

 

Same here with the NHL, but I still watch the entire playoffs. Actually, I'm beginning to think that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are more fun when you don't have a team in the hunt. 

 

(I just saw the timestamp...ugh)

 

There's little debate to be had on this, as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing more thrilling than seeing your team make a Cup run, don't get me wrong, but when your team is playing in Game 7, especially later on in the playoffs, the day of the game might as well be filled with anxiety and the watching the game itself, unless you are extremely well adjusted, is not a healthy experience at all. It's a constant oscillation between ecstasy and despair. 

 

When you're a neutral, or at least have an enemy but not a hero to root for, it is a lot easier to enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is me with the NFL now since the Chargers moved out of San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

This is me with the NFL now since the Chargers moved out of San Diego.

That was me with the NHL when the North Stars moved.

 

Though, my level of NHL fandom took a pretty big hit (the North Stars finished up when I was about to graduate high school; moving to Madison and finding very few people into the NHL was probably also a contributor).

 

In any case, it's certainly possible.  It's harder for me, but some people actually prefer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0