Website/portfolio help?

Utilis

What's the best place to show off one's work? Behance? Tumblr? A personal site?

What are the best things to show off? I considered putting some of my concept work into my portfolio, but I worry about running into issues with trademarks and potentially misleading clients...

I'd say the best free option, especially for people just starting out, would be Behance. It's a great way to find inspiration and share work. Of course, if you have the money, getting your own personal site would be nice. But in my opinion it's not necessary unless you're somewhat solidified as a designer and it would benefit your career as a designer. I like to think of having your own website as step 2. Step 1 being a free site and creative environment like Behance, but thats just my opinion. Obviously sharing here is great too!

As for the best things to show off...it really depends on your goals and what your aspiring to do. Tailor your portfolio to things that interest you and things that you could see yourself working on in a professional creative environment. As for including concepts in your portfolio, think about the bigger picture. For example, including just a redesigned logo isn't potentially the only part of a rebrand or redesign. Think about what else would change (social media graphics, jerseys, signage, ads etc). Things like this can help solidify and support the concept, making it stronger and more effective in your portfolio. 

Archived