Brewers new uniform

WissX

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gothamite said:

Nah, it moved in early 1970. ;)

Yes but then the it was also the Mariners original color scheme (wish they'd still use it full time). I'm just saying stick with something the Brewers came up with rather than something the Pilots came up with. 

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I want someone to go to that scheme.  I'd take Seattle doing so if offered and it was the only option.

However, I tend to agree with the sentiments of the above posters.

1. Seattle.  Their color scheme is unique and has firmly become their identity.  Yeah, I am sure there are trident caps at SafeCo, but most fan bases wear some sort of throwback.  Seattle has a unique look and even though when teams that change looks in my memory, I am not always clear on what is "them" (see: Canucks), I feel that this is the Mariners at this point.  
  2. Milwaukee.  Everything we've already said.  Just about everything is bad about this identity.  In theory, they could make a better identity with the same colors, but the color scheme would remain drab and uninspired.  I'd also guess that there's A LOT more affinity for the blue/yellow in Milwaukee than Seattle.  First, the Mariners never quite nailed their look.  The early stuff was mired in the powder blue era (not to mention futility) and "M's" look that Griffey started in was pretty bad.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt the "S" hat is a huge presence in Seattle. The current look is more associated with Griffey and with being competitive.  It's also unique.  Conversely, in Milwaukee, you have a team with a fan base that, if polled, may very well vote to go back to 1982.  The Brewers had a decent run in the early 1980s and the "throwback to current" ratio at Miller Park is pretty close.  Add how stale this look has become (if not just bad from Day 1) and they're the best choice.
  3. Someone else?  Maybe. The only one that comes to mind for me is the Padres.  I want them in brown full-time but I tend to doubt ownership will let that happen.  Blue/yellow would be a compromise. That temporary jersey last year was pretty sharp.

Anyway, my first choice would be Milwaukee.  Second would be San Diego, unless brown is on the table.

Padres were meant to be brown. That third spot belongs to the Rays.

17 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

As much as I love the royal/yellow color scheme I'd say keep the navy/gold as at least it's their own. The royal/yellow is Seattle's. 

TOP-Quality-56-Jim-Bouton-Jersey-Seattle

Not to PilotJack the thread, but those jerseys look off to me.  I've never seen a picture of a Pilots jersey where the yellow sleeve stripes are bookended by blue stripes.

PTDC0047_20120603459.gif2a99ed732e11705ad85a04812f6f9eca.jpg

To further go off topic, this Dooley Womack fellow (on the right) looks an a lot like Will Clark.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5R_flokOuXtaPeug3EPv

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Nah, Brewers are the Brewers, the Pilots are Seattle. 

They're the same franchise. That's how the record books treat the Pilots. 

The Pilots were only in Seattle for one year.

The Brewers were in Milwaukee wearing blue and yellow for 7 years before Seattle got another team. 

Seattle abandoned blue and yellow the year before Milwaukee did.

Seattle started wearing blue and yellow alternates years after Milwaukee went back to it. 

There's no claim that Seattle owns that color scheme over Milwaukee. Nor should they want it when what they have is better anyways. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

They're the same franchise. That's how the record books treat the Pilots. 

The Pilots were only in Seattle for one year.

The Brewers were in Milwaukee wearing blue and yellow for 7 years before Seattle got another team. 

Seattle abandoned blue and yellow the year before Milwaukee did.

Seattle started wearing blue and yellow alternates years after Milwaukee went back to it. 

There's no claim that Seattle owns that color scheme over Milwaukee. Nor should they want it when what they have is better anyways. 

Two teams can have the same colours.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Two teams can have the same colours.

No argument here, but Hawk36's original statement was "The royal/yellow is Seattle's." as if only one team can own it. If that is the case, that only one team should be allowed to wear blue and yellow, then that team is in Milwaukee and not Seattle for the reasons listed. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

42 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Not to PilotJack the thread, but those jerseys look off to me.  I've never seen a picture of a Pilots jersey where the yellow sleeve stripes are bookended by blue stripes.

PTDC0047_20120603459.gif2a99ed732e11705ad85a04812f6f9eca.jpg

Good catch - that's a bootleg.   And not a very good one.   The script is off and the numbers are far too big, as well.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

TOP-Quality-56-Jim-Bouton-Jersey-Seattle

Compare with these gamers:

71814a_med.jpeg 7e421694-6888-4bdf-b17b-d3128909301a_med

41 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

No argument here, but Hawk36's original statement was "The royal/yellow is Seattle's." as if only one team can own it. If that is the case, that only one team should be allowed to wear blue and yellow, then that team is in Milwaukee and not Seattle for the reasons listed. 

Not that royal/yellow is Seattle's, but rather that the royal/yellow was originally Seattle's and if there is a discussion about which colors the Brewers should use, I'd say use the ones that the Brewers (not the Pilots) came up with (navy/gold).

Of course you will have many teams that use the same colors, but if you have a choice between one you bought and moved to Milwaukee, and one that you came up with as the Brewers, I'd lean toward the combo created by the Brewers not the Pilots.

Hope that explains my point a little clearer. 

43 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Not that royal/yellow is Seattle's, but rather that the royal/yellow was originally Seattle's and if there is a discussion about which colors the Brewers should use, I'd say use the ones that the Brewers (not the Pilots) came up with (navy/gold).

Of course you will have many teams that use the same colors, but if you have a choice between one you bought and moved to Milwaukee, and one that you came up with as the Brewers, I'd lean toward the combo created by the Brewers not the Pilots.

Hope that explains my point a little clearer. 

The Mariners should stick with the colors they came up with (navy/northwest green) and not the colors the Pilots/Brewers came up with.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why?  I'm truly curious.

I can't speak for Mockba but I find it too bland and somewhat generic for all the praise heaped on it. It's just an M and a B making a piece of equipment. 

It's like Milton Bradley made a baseball board game.

IbjBaeE.png

32 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I can't speak for Mockba but I find it too bland and somewhat generic for all the praise heaped on it. It's just an M and a B making a piece of equipment.

Bland?  Generic?   I think there's a lot of ways to criticize the BiG, but wouldn't use either of those.  

You can say it's too whimsical, too much a product of its time, too clever by half, insufficiently dignified, inappropriately uses the nickname initial, any number of things.  But I'm not seeing either "bland" or "generic" unless stylized initials aren't themselves identifier enough.  And if that's the case then you're going to have to level those same criticisms against the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and many more. 

On 4/24/2017 at 0:58 PM, leopard88 said:

I'm probably the only person around here who would love to be an updated version of either of these uniforms.

73+colborn.JPGDonMoney100000_20080613353.gif

I really like the simple vertically arched wordmark and think it looks better on a white jersey than on the pinstriped version worn with the BiG.  I would also be interested to see how "Milwaukee" looks in the same vertically arched style instead of the script version that was worn with the BiG.

Whichever wordmark is used on the road version . . .  no powder blue road set!

As a hardcore fan of the Crew this is my dream as well. Too bad the common fan doesn't know these existed. I've worn this hat so many times in public all over Wisconsin and people think I'm wearing a Michigan hat...kinda sad.

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Bland?  Generic?   I think there's a lot of ways to criticize the BiG, but wouldn't use either of those.  

You can say it's too whimsical, too much a product of its time, too clever by half, insufficiently dignified, inappropriately using the nickname initial, any number of things.  But I'm not seeing either "bland" or "generic" unless stylized initials aren't themselves identifier enough.  And if that's the case then you're going to have to level those same criticisms against the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and many more. 

Maybe bland and generic were the wrong words, but I think there can be more to "Brewers" than two letters making up equipment. 

My personal difference between the BiG and the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants and others is that I feel those logos are just letters while the BiG is "to clever by a half" I guess. I'm not a fan of it being used on hats for that reason.

I don't not like the BiG, I just prefer the current set.

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, that's my favorite.  Most Brewers fans don't know it existed, either.  A couple more years and it could have been a classic.

71080a_lg.jpeg71080b_lg.jpeg

I have a bat boy's jersey from that set, it's one of the gems of my collection.

Wow and this is even better.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:45 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

I hate that the Brewers are wearing jerseys that say Milwaukee at home and Brewers on the road.

I think that Navy and Yellow don't work as well on this logo as Blue and Yellow, but because they want to wear a navy alt jersey (or a bunch of them), that's what we are stuck with.

I think they've discovered that this is a marketplace that they can tap by having multiple sets of colors and logos.  Few people seem to care whether or not they are in the 'correct' fan gear on a given game day (unlike how these are more scheduled in the NFL).

Wearing Brewers at home tonight. Navy, but oh well. I'm in Blue and Yellow Ball in Glove.

Sitting behind me is a green billed Motre Dame cap with navy jersey from the same era. Whodathunkit?

1493164611325-1284205947.jpg

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

As a hardcore fan of the Crew this is my dream as well. Too bad the common fan doesn't know these existed. I've worn this hat so many times in public all over Wisconsin and people think I'm wearing a Michigan hat...kinda sad.

While I don't mind that jersey, I hate the hat for exactly the reason you just mentioned.  Everyone mistakes it for the Michigan M.  At least the Miller M they use now has a bit of style to it.  If they'd ever change it, I'd want something that is distinguishable enough that you know it's a Brewers hat.

Archived