NBA x NIKE Redesign Project (MIAMI HEAT CITY EDITION added 1/2)

iamdaviinci

3 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Just running off that a bit, but what if, based off the first concept template, flipping the "Thunder" and "OKC" marks? So Thunder is on the shorts and OKC is on the jersey? This really only applies to an alternate or two. I don't think a city abbreviation has any place on a home or away jersey

2 hours ago, Daredevil said:

Love the Thunder uniforms. My only suggestion is that on the away/alternate, it should say Oklahoma City or OKC or some such. 

In response to both of you, I experimented with that idea when I originally created that 'OKC' wordmark, but wasn't a fan of how things looked -- whereas 'THUNDER' looks a bit small to me, 'OKC' look a bit big. Plus I think their terrible orange alternates with 'OKC' on them make me like the idea even less!

54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Is there a reason for what looks to be a stain on the Thunder jerseys, under the wordmark? (Is it a watermark?)  I didn't see it on the previous jerseys.

I like the new fonts you used for OKC...way better than the generic crap they have now. 

That stain is from where I can't quite figure out the shadowing....I took an image of a jersey I found online and clone-stamped out all of the applications to create my template, but this area still looks pretty off. Fortunately, most designs hide it with the numerals, but this one definitely doesn't!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a random idea I had today thinking about the Golden State Warriors and their current uniforms. I dislike a lot of things about what they currently wear -- the font is terrible, the color balance is off, yellow used poorly in general, and they focus on a bridge despite the team being called the Warriors.

So, I ended up conducting some research on the Ohlone people - the Native American people of the San Francisco Bay era - and came across the Mission San Francisco de Asís, which was one of their sanctuaries and is currently the oldest surviving structure in the city of San Francisco. The inside is both incredible and fascinating, and some of the imagery served as the inspiration for the color palette as well as the trim pattern -- specifically the designs found on the archways, ceilings, and bordering the Mission Dolores mural.

This creates an identity with a little more relevance to the city as well as the nickname. Also, the tweak to the color scheme to emphasizes the 'GOLD' in 'GOLDen State' while alluding to the gold-centric gear they've worn in the NBA Finals.

Golden State Warriors Away Uniforms

qsn7liT.jpg

Thanks for looking!

6 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here is a random idea I had today thinking about the Golden State Warriors and their current uniforms. I dislike a lot of things about what they currently wear -- the font is terrible, the color balance is off, yellow used poorly in general, and they focus on a bridge despite the team being called the Warriors.

So, I ended up conducting some research on the Ohlone people - the Native American people of the San Francisco Bay era - and came across the Mission San Francisco de Asís, which was one of their sanctuaries and is currently the oldest surviving structure in the city of San Francisco. The inside is both incredible and fascinating, and some of the imagery served as the inspiration for the color palette as well as the trim pattern -- specifically the designs found on the archways, ceilings, and bordering the Mission Dolores mural.

This creates an identity with a little more relevance to the city as well as the nickname. Also, the tweak to the color scheme to emphasizes the 'GOLD' in 'GOLDen State' while alluding to the gold-centric gear they've worn in the NBA Finals.

Golden State Warriors Away Uniforms

qsn7liT.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Emptying wallet as we speak to buy this^^^^^ man if only..

shado_logo.gif

As a Warrior fan, the yellow has become ingrained in the culture of the fan base. It's always been in the uniform, and it became even bigger to us since the We Believe playoff shirts. I've loved all the previous designs but this one doesn't do it for me mostly because of the collar and armholes. I'm also not big on the word mark, but all this is just constructive criticism because you've done amazing work for all the other concepts.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:45 PM, Shadojoker said:

Emptying wallet as we speak to buy this^^^^^ man if only..

Has anyone on here ever made a real life jersey based on one of their concepts?! I'm curious now.

20 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

It's a little to busy for me but, good job!

Thanks! I don't disagree with you -- the pattern makes it much busier than I typically prefer and relative to the rest of this series.

9 hours ago, FlyingBuckeye7 said:

Make the GSW one just say "Golden State" or just "Warriors."

In pretty much any other case I would, but that's something I've come to appreciate about their current uniforms -- I really kind of hate the fact that they say 'GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS' around the circular front chest logo, but at the same time I really do like that it's something unique to them. NBA uniforms need more individuality and character!

9 hours ago, Chundrew said:

As a Warrior fan, the yellow has become ingrained in the culture of the fan base. It's always been in the uniform, and it became even bigger to us since the We Believe playoff shirts. I've loved all the previous designs but this one doesn't do it for me mostly because of the collar and armholes. I'm also not big on the word mark, but all this is just constructive criticism because you've done amazing work for all the other concepts.

I appreciate the kind words as well as the constructive criticism! I expected Warriors fans to dislike the color change, though I didn't consciously realize how prevalent yellow is throughout their brand -- your mention of the 'WE BELIEVE' shirts is a great example, though. Unfortunately, I was hellbent on gold over yellow, so I didn't bother making those layers editable so as to quickly swap colors. If/when I find a way and/or time, I might go back and see how the yellow looks.

8 hours ago, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

The lack of a "Golden" color in those jerseys is a bit ironic.

What color do you see? I used hex code #89734C per ColorWerx - which is a metallic gold from their 2011/12 50 Seasons in the Bay commemorative marks - though I know metallics don't always look as you'd expect. 

7 hours ago, H11K said:

Well Nike will be impressed with your portfolio when they come calling.

Man....that's the dream! Thank you!

Here is the home version for the Warriors uniforms -- the silver outline does show up as silver-y as I would like, so my next area to improve on will probably be achieving more of a shiny and/or metallic effect for such colors. Thoughts and suggestions specifically on that as well as anything that comes to mind are always appreciated!

Golden State Warriors Home Uniforms

N31lQl0.jpg

As a Warriors fan thats lived in the Bay my whole life i don't like the color change either. i do like blue and gold together but for the Warriors it isn't right. I know it may be weird that called the warriors to have more of a bridge theme but it is more quintessentially Bay Area. Ive never heard a complaint from anyone here about the bridge theme as its something we kinda embrace. i like the design of the collar but i think it would be better used on a different team/concept. Other than that I've enjoyed this series so far

Here is a new concept I have been working on for the Seattle Supersonics. It admittedly is not very well developed, as I was working on a new Cavs concept, decided to nix the skyline design from my previous Cavs concept, realized the idea could be repurposed for the Sonics given the Seattle skyline part of which appears in their old logo, then ultimately scrapped that idea but kept the new Cavs font for the Sonics. So, yeah, I have been all over the place with this one and could use some input before making changes.

Before I get to that, though, I will kindly ask that whomsoever has been stealing my concepts as well as those of others and posting them as their own on Reddit as 'Pepman33' respect the work of myself and others and not do that. (NOTE: this is NOT @PepMan33Conde on these boards) 

Anyways, I thought a reboot of the Seattle Supersonics would be kind of fun because of their appeal in the '90s. I think their kelly green and yellow jerseys with the arched sash and font were great for the time period, but have since become nostalgically overrated and need to be left in the past. Also, I was only willing to retain any shade of yellow so long as I incorporated their mid- to late-'90s forest green and an additional color for the sake of contrast. As a result, we ended up with their mid- to late-'90s color palette -- one which I do not find to be good so much as I find it to be interesting and unique.

The uniforms from that era suffered from a bumbling, cartoon-ish font, and I think there was too much of the brick red color, at least when incorporated in the side panels on the away uniform. As a result, I have given the Sonics a sharper font that is also free of the three-dimensional treatment, removed the red side panels (in one version, with a second version for the sake of comparison), and added a raindrop print to the wordmark and numerals in relation to the city's notorious climate and 'Rain City' nickname.

I have a slightly different idea for the home jerseys, but I am curious to know what everyone thinks of these before creating the rest of the set. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

Seattle Supersonics Away Uniforms

xyaMc2x.jpg

Seattles Supersonics Away Uniforms (with red side panels)

xEdwOVj.jpg

That font you used for the Sonics looks like what will the Cavs use starting next season... I wonder what's the name of that font. But, overall, great concept for the Sonics. The colors are so 90's, but you made them modern yet simple, to fit in the current trend.

That font is... Unique...

Not to say it's bad. It looks nice, and I get the Rain City identity. It's out of the box, and that's definitely not a bad thing.

The designs for the majority of this series have been stellar, and the execution has been outstanding as well. That's one killer template!

3 hours ago, edjb93 said:

That font you used for the Sonics looks like what will the Cavs use starting next season... I wonder what's the name of that font. But, overall, great concept for the Sonics. The colors are so 90's, but you made them modern yet simple, to fit in the current trend.

Thanks! Modern and simple is definitely a trend among my concepts, though I am hoping to get a little more creative and outside the box going forward. And it actually is the Cavs' font, though I couldn't find the font or a name for it....I just had to trace and freehand the characters in Illustrator.

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

I got dizzy looking at the bubbles (?) In the font.

Too much contrast or just the pattern itself? I messed with the opacity of it and could not decide on a good setting, so I am curious to see what anyone else has to say.

30 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

That font is... Unique...

Not to say it's bad. It looks nice, and I get the Rain City identity. It's out of the box, and that's definitely not a bad thing.

The designs for the majority of this series have been stellar, and the execution has been outstanding as well. That's one killer template!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not 100% sold on the font either, though I have gone ahead and kept it for the home jerseys.

The home jerseys vary slightly from their away counterparts, as the Rain City identity gets replaced with an Emerlad City identity -- the green wordmarks and numerals lend themselves well to the emerald theme, plus the raindrop imagery does not show up as well on green as it does on white. I think I would like the side panels here if they were green with yellow and red trim, but I strongly dislike the red side panels on the away jerseys so the home jerseys will do without them as well for the sake of consistency.

Seattle Supersonics Home Uniforms

Y5Rs0YS.jpg

Seattle Supersonics Away Uniforms

uSrUGoF.jpg

On 6/15/2017 at 7:02 PM, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

Honestly would be curious to see the 90s Kelly green and gold look with this concept if you would.

I took a quick look at it via Photoshop's selective color tool, but there is just not enough contrast there to make it look good. I always wondered why the wordmarks were single-color green-on-white and white-on-green without any yellow on those original jerseys....I think I am finally making sense of that now. 

Here is a concept I have been struggling with for a while. The original inspiration came from flipping through Emmanuel Georges' America Rewind - an awesome collection of modern photography from all over America with an emphasis on the south and west - and stumbling upon a shot of the Texan Theatre in Kilgore, Texas. I love the design of the star, and the Dallas Mavericks just felt like the logical choice in terms of incorporating it into a design....it only made more sense once I discovered the theatre is just east of Dallas as well as the fact that the inner star also appears on the city's official seal.

The obscure significance of the inspiration behind this design made it more fitting for an alternate, plus I already had a couple ideas in mind for home and away primaries. Taking that into consideration, I thought it would be fun to step outside the box and resurrect their disastrous silver alternates from the early 2000s. The issues I have with those uniforms, and therefore that I tried to rectify, include: 1) the shade of gray was too dark; 2) the side panels and trim lacked sufficient contrast; and 3) the 'MAVERICKS' wordmark was too long and therefore too small proportionally.

This uniform contains a lighter shade of silver, complete with similar side panels and trim that now include white piping for the sake of contrast, and an entirely different design for the wordmark, numerals, etc. As an alternate and/or pride jersey, the wordmark now reads 'DALLAS' -- in a vertical fashion alluding to the Texan Theatre's sign prior to the fire that shut it down in 1942. This wordmark is placed over the sublimated silhouette of Texas and aligned with respect to the numerals opposite it as well as the star signifying Dallas's location.

Please let me know your thoughts -- good, bad, or indifferent....thanks!

Dallas Mavericks Alternate Uniforms

tfnQX0V.jpg

5 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here is a concept I have been struggling with for a while. The original inspiration came from flipping through Emmanuel Georges' America Rewind - an awesome collection of modern photography from all over America with an emphasis on the south and west - and stumbling upon a shot of the Texan Theatre in Kilgore, Texas. I love the design of the star, and the Dallas Mavericks just felt like the logical choice in terms of incorporating it into a design....it only made more sense once I discovered the theatre is just east of Dallas as well as the fact that the inner star also appears on the city's official seal.

The obscure significance of the inspiration behind this design made it more fitting for an alternate, plus I already had a couple ideas in mind for home and away primaries. Taking that into consideration, I thought it would be fun to step outside the box and resurrect their disastrous silver alternates from the early 2000s. The issues I have with those uniforms, and therefore that I tried to rectify, include: 1) the shade of gray was too dark; 2) the side panels and trim lacked sufficient contrast; and 3) the 'MAVERICKS' wordmark was too long and therefore too small proportionally.

This uniform contains a lighter shade of silver, complete with similar side panels and trim that now include white piping for the sake of contrast, and an entirely different design for the wordmark, numerals, etc. As an alternate and/or pride jersey, the wordmark now reads 'DALLAS' -- in a vertical fashion alluding to the Texan Theatre's sign prior to the fire that shut it down in 1942. This wordmark is placed over the sublimated silhouette of Texas and aligned with respect to the numerals opposite it as well as the star signifying Dallas's location.

Please let me know your thoughts -- good, bad, or indifferent....thanks!

Dallas Mavericks Alternate Uniforms

tfnQX0V.jpg

67179643.jpg

Original,outof the box and executed well.

shado_logo.gif

Archived