NBA x NIKE Redesign Project (MIAMI HEAT CITY EDITION added 1/2)

iamdaviinci

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

67179643.jpg

Original,outof the box and executed well.

Ha! Thanks, Shado!

5 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

These are all fantastic!

Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

As a mavs fan I don't like it at all, looks like a fashion jersey, that said I think it would grow on me eventually 

I completely agree that it looks much more like a fashion jersey than a typical alternate. I was looking at some of the Nike Rewind jerseys from the early 2000s the other day, so that might have subconsciously influenced me a bit!

Here is a random idea I put together for the Kings. While trying to strike the right balance for the vertical wordmark on the Mavericks jerseys, I explored the world of asymmetrical striping and dug up the Kings' gold alternates from the mid- to late-2000s as well as the old Miami Floridians throwbacks and current Washington Bullets throwbacks. I also had the silver gradient left over on my template, so that found its way into things as well.

The Kings current set is slowly growing on me, thought it is still conservative if not boring. These are more faux-back jerseys and not intended as primary home or away jerseys, but hopefully I will come up with something for those eventually.

The Kings' new colors, fonts, and logos are all retained, with the layout of their current uniforms being rearranged and condensed into a singular graphic with the numerals appearing above the wordmark and under the crown. The asymmetrical side striping from the aforementioned gold alternates has been converted into the asymmetrical vertical striping from some of the other aforementioned uniforms, and (somewhat) matching collar and armhole trim completes the look.

Sacramento Kings Faux-back Uniforms (White)

YhCs1el.jpg

Sacramento Kings Faux-back Uniforms (Gold)

6y9QNGf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

18 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here is a random idea I put together for the Kings. While trying to strike the right balance for the vertical wordmark on the Mavericks jerseys, I explored the world of asymmetrical striping and dug up the Kings' gold alternates from the mid- to late-2000s as well as the old Miami Floridians throwbacks and current Washington Bullets throwbacks. I also had the silver gradient left over on my template, so that found its way into things as well.

The Kings current set is slowly growing on me, thought it is still conservative if not boring. These are more faux-back jerseys and not intended as primary home or away jerseys, but hopefully I will come up with something for those eventually.

The Kings' new colors, fonts, and logos are all retained, with the layout of their current uniforms being rearranged and condensed into a singular graphic with the numerals appearing above the wordmark and under the crown. The asymmetrical side striping from the aforementioned gold alternates has been converted into the asymmetrical vertical striping from some of the other aforementioned uniforms, and (somewhat) matching collar and armhole trim completes the look.

Sacramento Kings Faux-back Uniforms (White)

YhCs1el.jpg

Sacramento Kings Faux-back Uniforms (Gold)

6y9QNGf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

First one looks great!  Second one's racing stripe overlapping the neck trim looks weird.  Plus it looks like it might be a Lakers alternate.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been out of my creative space mentally for a while, but the new Nike info might inspire me to create some more original concepts soon.

For now, though, I have a relatively simple update to the Houston Rockets' black alternate. I actually kind of like the one they have now, though the arched font feels anything but on-brand and the racing checkerboard side panels look forced. They did a good job with the color balance, though, as nothing about the uniform feels like it be mistaken for one belonging to the Trail Blazers, Bulls, or any team with a predominantly black and red color palette.

So I cleaned up the wordmark font, slanted it in reference to the championship-era wordmarks, dropped the Pacers' numeral font in favor of a block one also referencing the championship-era numerals, fixed the obnoxious collar that mysteriously cuts off for no reason, and removed the side panels completely. Nothing revolutionary, but hopefully an upgrade.

Thoughts!?

Houston Rockets Alternate Uniforms

RnuPw3Y.jpg

The info that recently leaked re: the Utah Jazz possibly adding a yellow alternate for the upcoming season is cringe-worthy at best, but it was a fun challenge to try to create something that was even remotely acceptable to share with others. I cannot tell if I love it or hate it yet, but it is a thing I made and I am here to share it with you.

The Jazz have a problematic color palette for many reasons -- it lacks historical significance to the team without purple, is somehow bland despite causing too much competition, and (allegedly) now emphasizes yellow. I always loved the simplicity of their older uniforms, as the color balance between the purple, yellow, and green was enough to be interesting without being over-the-top -- minimal trim, occasional strokes, and no side panels. So, working with their current color palette, I aimed to retain those principles from previous eras. 

The collar and shoulder trim are nothing fancy, but accentuate each of the peripheral colors; the wordmark and numerals are free of strokes, while the logo contains a white stroke to separate the yellow of the basketball from the color of the jersey; the side panels are free of clutter. The front of the jersey is a bit busier than I typically prefer, but it is fresh, well-balanced, and pays homage to their old uniforms that included a small 'UTAH' wordmark in addition to the larger 'JAZZ' one. I actually really like the numeral font they used on their green and nave (sleeved) alternates this past season, so that has been retained here as well. 

I am very interested in any and all comments and criticisms....thanks for looking!

Utah Jazz Alternate Uniforms

jA1qDp4.jpg

On 7/20/2017 at 4:08 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

The info that recently leaked re: the Utah Jazz possibly adding a yellow alternate for the upcoming season is cringe-worthy at best, but it was a fun challenge to try to create something that was even remotely acceptable to share with others. I cannot tell if I love it or hate it yet, but it is a thing I made and I am here to share it with you.

The Jazz have a problematic color palette for many reasons -- it lacks historical significance to the team without purple, is somehow bland despite causing too much competition, and (allegedly) now emphasizes yellow. I always loved the simplicity of their older uniforms, as the color balance between the purple, yellow, and green was enough to be interesting without being over-the-top -- minimal trim, occasional strokes, and no side panels. So, working with their current color palette, I aimed to retain those principles from previous eras. 

The collar and shoulder trim are nothing fancy, but accentuate each of the peripheral colors; the wordmark and numerals are free of strokes, while the logo contains a white stroke to separate the yellow of the basketball from the color of the jersey; the side panels are free of clutter. The front of the jersey is a bit busier than I typically prefer, but it is fresh, well-balanced, and pays homage to their old uniforms that included a small 'UTAH' wordmark in addition to the larger 'JAZZ' one. I actually really like the numeral font they used on their green and nave (sleeved) alternates this past season, so that has been retained here as well. 

I am very interested in any and all comments and criticisms....thanks for looking!

Utah Jazz Alternate Uniforms

jA1qDp4.jpg

An instant classic!

On 7/21/2017 at 10:48 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

That is great jersey crazy enough to be interesting but not ugly as there current pride jersey is

Thanks! That was basically the goal given the yellow base....I'd obviously much prefer it in their primary colors, and maybe even more in their purple-centric throwback colors.

On 7/22/2017 at 1:14 PM, sayahh said:

An instant classic!

I appreciate it!

On 7/22/2017 at 5:10 PM, BigBryArab said:

I think the Rockets could use some white on the trim to balance it out a little imo. Love the Jazz Alts

Excellent call on the Rockets' trim -- I simply followed their current template without putting any thought into changing it. I wanted to avoid encroaching on the red/black/white color schemes of the Bulls and Blazers, so instead of white I made the trim the same light shade of silver to match the wordmark, numerals, and Nike swoosh....it feels a bit more coherent, and I think it gives the jersey a lot more balance. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Houston Rockets Alternate Uniforms

SwqxLor.jpg

I have spent a lot of time recently working on a Detroit Pistons Motor City/Chrome jersey, but so far have been unsuccessful in striking the right balance between the Pistons' identity/brand and the Motor City/chrome theme. I hope to have visuals for that idea eventually, but I have since turned my attention to the Miami Heat.

Personally, I think the Heat have one of the best identities in the League despite not making any significant changes since around the year 2000 -- their colors are crisp, their fonts are classic yet fresh, and everything about it just works. I obviously would not put them in the same category as teams like the Lakers and Celtics that have undeniably classic and identifiable uniform histories, but throughout their relatively short history I feel as though they are very much on the right track.

I retained their current color palette, as I absolutely love the minimal yet essential hits of yellow that appear only in the piping (sidenote: I do not subscribe to the idea that they should change their colors to the fluorescent neons so many people seem to like....I think it is fun in theory, but would look terrible in actuality.). Their current font has been tweaked slightly to produce new wordmarks and numerals -- some angular and proportional inconsistencies have been eliminated, the characters have become bolder, and the flame accent has found its way onto the tip of the second 'I' in the 'MIAMI' script to match that of the 'T' in the 'HEAT' script. Strokes have been eliminated entirely, and the wordmarks and numerals receive a slight shading treatment, which was originally an effect experimented with for the aforementioned Pistons' Motor City/Chrome jersey. I swear I have seen a similar if not even the same treatment on a Heat concept before, whether on here, Behance, Instagram, or elsewhere, but cannot seem to find it....so either I am losing my mind, or much respect to anyone and everyone who has had similar ideas before me! 

The side panels stay the same, as the colors are perfectly balanced to create interest without causing competition clutter. The minimal piping that was previously along the outer edges of the collar and armholes has been removed to further simplify the jerseys much in the same way as the strokes being eliminated. 

All of these changes are intended to give their entire set an even cleaner, bolder look while preserving their core identity and some of its more subtle details. I still have a few concerns about the designs here, but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas before considering revisions.

Miami Heat Home Uniforms

aOlUWwf.jpg

Miami Heat Away Uniforms

qiJghIQ.jpg

Miami Heat Alternate Uniforms

VVaMtdB.jpg

Thanks for looking!

17 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I have spent a lot of time recently working on a Detroit Pistons Motor City/Chrome jersey, but so far have been unsuccessful in striking the right balance between the Pistons' identity/brand and the Motor City/chrome theme. I hope to have visuals for that idea eventually, but I have since turned my attention to the Miami Heat.

Personally, I think the Heat have one of the best identities in the League despite not making any significant changes since around the year 2000 -- their colors are crisp, their fonts are classic yet fresh, and everything about it just works. I obviously would not put them in the same category as teams like the Lakers and Celtics that have undeniably classic and identifiable uniform histories, but throughout their relatively short history I feel as though they are very much on the right track.

I retained their current color palette, as I absolutely love the minimal yet essential hits of yellow that appear only in the piping (sidenote: I do not subscribe to the idea that they should change their colors to the fluorescent neons so many people seem to like....I think it is fun in theory, but would look terrible in actuality.). Their current font has been tweaked slightly to produce new wordmarks and numerals -- some angular and proportional inconsistencies have been eliminated, the characters have become bolder, and the flame accent has found its way onto the tip of the second 'I' in the 'MIAMI' script to match that of the 'T' in the 'HEAT' script. Strokes have been eliminated entirely, and the wordmarks and numerals receive a slight shading treatment, which was originally an effect experimented with for the aforementioned Pistons' Motor City/Chrome jersey. I swear I have seen a similar if not even the same treatment on a Heat concept before, whether on here, Behance, Instagram, or elsewhere, but cannot seem to find it....so either I am losing my mind, or much respect to anyone and everyone who has had similar ideas before me! 

The side panels stay the same, as the colors are perfectly balanced to create interest without causing competition clutter. The minimal piping that was previously along the outer edges of the collar and armholes has been removed to further simplify the jerseys much in the same way as the strokes being eliminated. 

All of these changes are intended to give their entire set an even cleaner, bolder look while preserving their core identity and some of its more subtle details. I still have a few concerns about the designs here, but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas before considering revisions.

Miami Heat Home Uniforms

aOlUWwf.jpg

Miami Heat Away Uniforms

qiJghIQ.jpg

Miami Heat Alternate Uniforms

VVaMtdB.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I think you might have gotten the idea from me for the miami wordmark , I posted a concept like this awhile ago on here, i thought the flame coming off the "I" in the miami wordmark would look amazing. This was the concept 

dscsdcvd.png

heat concept2.png

4 hours ago, BrentW said:

I think you might have gotten the idea from me for the miami wordmark , I posted a concept like this awhile ago on here, i thought the flame coming off the "I" in the miami wordmark would look amazing. This was the concept 

dscsdcvd.png

heat concept2.png

Thank you for posting this -- I was referring to the two-tone shading effect I had used, but I guess my concept is much less original than I thought!

Like you said, that simple addition to the wordmark most definitely does make it and both of their current uniforms look amazing! It makes too much sense and just feels like it belongs. Great idea and thanks for sharing this with me!

10 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Thank you for posting this -- I was referring to the two-tone shading effect I had used, but I guess my concept is much less original than I thought!

Like you said, that simple addition to the wordmark most definitely does make it and both of their current uniforms look amazing! It makes too much sense and just feels like it belongs. Great idea and thanks for sharing this with me!

Great concept by the way, hopefully they add the flame to the road uni's in the near future

11 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Love it, but I think you've used the triangle side stripe too many times would prefer one similar to the current. Love the font

Thanks! The triangle side stripe is actually supposed to be a vertical, full-length side panel....but the template I'm using doesn't quite accommodate that and I've been struggling on and off with the clone-stamp tool and a few others to fix that. 

Archived