NBA x NIKE Redesign Project (MIAMI HEAT CITY EDITION added 1/2)

iamdaviinci

Reading through the whole post, I was excited for the thought and effort that you put into a rebrand and then I saw the jersey itself and it feels kind of blah. It looks pretty clean, but there's just not a whole lot to it. "Mavericks" just seems like there should be more pizzazz there.

XcryMwi.png

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HRC4 said:

Reading through the whole post, I was excited for the thought and effort that you put into a rebrand and then I saw the jersey itself and it feels kind of blah. It looks pretty clean, but there's just not a whole lot to it. "Mavericks" just seems like there should be more pizzazz there.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you 100% -- that's what I think I was trying to articulate through all of my rambling in the original post, and ultimately what I needed to hear. I appreciate it!

20 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here's a concept for the Dallas Mavericks I more or less made up as I went along, and have now reached a point where I could use some input. I'm not sure if it's an Icon or a Statement Edition jersey, but the end goal is to create a set of three or four jerseys based around this new identity concept that is consistent with Nike's style so far during its initial takeover as the official outfitter of the NBA. So far, I like some aspects and am very skeptical of others.

The Mavericks' current identity is one of if not the most stale in the League, and as Dirk's career winds down and Dennis Smith, Jr. takes the torch a rebrand is very much in order. The typeface and uniform template have to go, though the double blues can stay -- at least in some capacity. However, the team needs a fresh start, so we'll inject green back into the color palette and give them a clean and updated typeface with a slight old school groove to it.

I began by conducting research, with the obvious starting point being a Google search for "what is a maverick" that yielded this inspiring quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger. So with this quote as well as Nike's aesthetic in mind, I want to create something that's different, but with minimal elements. Although I never loved the Diddy-designed green alternates, some of the nuts and bolts are worth keeping -- mainly the color palette and at least a little bit of the trim pattern. I think the vibrant color palette is refreshing in the all-blue-everything uniform landscape of today's NBA, while the solid-color collar and armhole trim maintain a clean look.

After that, I've struggled. The Mavericks' current uniform template has long overstayed its welcome, and historically there are no unique uniform elements to revert back to in regards to the side panels. The design I've been working with has been a sublimated pattern of that which appeared on Bret Maverick's waistcoat in the television series Maverick -- that show is where the team originally got its nickname, and James Garner - who played Bret Maverick - was a member of the franchise's original ownership group. 

I can't tell if I like the pattern or if it works or if the inspiration behind the design of it even makes any sense whatsoever. So that's where I'm at and why I've come to you all. Any and all feedback as well as thoughts and suggestions on how to make this better and/or more consistent with Arnold Schwarzenegger's aforementioned definition of a maverick would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dallas Mavericks Concept Jersey

HOn8HUP.jpg

Leave it the way it is or flip the green and navy.  Either is perfect!  

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 11/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Toronto Raptors City Edition Jerseys

08FoelM.jpg

I must be in the minority, because I love this version. 

And I really love the Memphis alt. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 11/12/2017 at 1:31 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Thanks a lot for the kind words and input! I didn't see the Denver Nuggets' colors at all during my process, but ever since you've pointed it out it's been hard to unsee it. And aside from the colors, it's also a lot more similar to the Nuggets' rainbow skyline jerseys than I realized!

Anyways, I experimented with the color palette to avoid the Denver Nuggets comparison while also reintroducing Utah's beloved purple and better highlighting the mountain shading. I admittedly see a Phoenix Suns jersey now given the colors, but I think the sunset effect looks a lot smoother with the shades of purple creating less contrast than the shades of blue. 

Please let me know your thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions on the updated version -- thanks!

Utah Jazz City Edition Jerseys

JZX4XV4.jpg

-In case you were wondering what the Jazz alternate would look like on players.. 

y4maeuGOv1Ue6rJgKdYGpZrwLkzKQ-Oj7mf4Hu_f

y4mNAX5QyKNXjVlJLLq7bfVUZY_6j7u7SP60bYFi

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing that, @itsmb8! Every now and then I'll see a 2K screenshot with one of my concepts as the uniforms and I'm just glad people appreciate or are at least able to find a use for them.

I've been super negligent with this thread lately, and I've got some revisions and follow-up work to share for the Magic, Celtics, Spurs, and Mavericks. I'll hopefully get around to that soon.

For now, though, all I have to share is a concept for the Minnesota Timberwolves' City Edition jersey that honestly I actually really hate but spent too much time on not to share it. It's a weird combination of what I'm predicting vs. what I'm wanting out of it. It's kind of in this weird concept purgatory, if you will.

Anyways, the idea is simple: the jersey mimics the New Era City Edition hat @Conrad. shared with us the other day. The side panels incorporate the wolf-ish pattern, and the front is light gray while the back is medium gray -- similar to how the colors were split on the old Vince Carter-era Raptors jerseys. The trim is simple and solid color because that seems to be a trend with Nike's new, original work as well as Minnesota's recent re-brand. The wordmark and numerals are more what I thought I wanted (until I finished the concept and had time to process it), as the wordmark on the leaked hat is arched and solid white. The arching goes against the other wordmarks in their uniform set, and the solid white on light gray kinda gets washed out. Also, I made the typefaces for both the wordmark and the numerals way too big in comparison to their oddly small-ish counterparts on the other three jerseys we've seen. Worst of all, the entire color scheme is full-on Spurs -- and thanks to the 2017/18 NBA Changes thread on the Sports Logos boards, I know just how emotional everybody gets when colors aren't exactly what they SHOULD be!

Anyways, it's ultimately a pretty boring jersey -- however, since finishing this draft, I've started crafting some tweaks to make it a bit more exciting, fully embrace the timberwolf motif, and inject bits of the new color palette into it to make things pop. A lot of my thoughts right now are actually derived from my complaints re: the Ohio State Buckeyes football team's wolf-themed alternates this year that were void of color.

I'll hopefully have an updated draft to share soon....until then, any and all thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Minnesota Timberwolves City Edition Jersey v1.0

vGADhcc.jpg

On 12/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Thanks for sharing that, @itsmb8! Every now and then I'll see a 2K screenshot with one of my concepts as the uniforms and I'm just glad people appreciate or are at least able to find a use for them.

I've been super negligent with this thread lately, and I've got some revisions and follow-up work to share for the Magic, Celtics, Spurs, and Mavericks. I'll hopefully get around to that soon.

For now, though, all I have to share is a concept for the Minnesota Timberwolves' City Edition jersey that honestly I actually really hate but spent too much time on not to share it. It's a weird combination of what I'm predicting vs. what I'm wanting out of it. It's kind of in this weird concept purgatory, if you will.

Anyways, the idea is simple: the jersey mimics the New Era City Edition hat @Conrad. shared with us the other day. The side panels incorporate the wolf-ish pattern, and the front is light gray while the back is medium gray -- similar to how the colors were split on the old Vince Carter-era Raptors jerseys. The trim is simple and solid color because that seems to be a trend with Nike's new, original work as well as Minnesota's recent re-brand. The wordmark and numerals are more what I thought I wanted (until I finished the concept and had time to process it), as the wordmark on the leaked hat is arched and solid white. The arching goes against the other wordmarks in their uniform set, and the solid white on light gray kinda gets washed out. Also, I made the typefaces for both the wordmark and the numerals way too big in comparison to their oddly small-ish counterparts on the other three jerseys we've seen. Worst of all, the entire color scheme is full-on Spurs -- and thanks to the 2017/18 NBA Changes thread on the Sports Logos boards, I know just how emotional everybody gets when colors aren't exactly what they SHOULD be!

Anyways, it's ultimately a pretty boring jersey -- however, since finishing this draft, I've started crafting some tweaks to make it a bit more exciting, fully embrace the timberwolf motif, and inject bits of the new color palette into it to make things pop. A lot of my thoughts right now are actually derived from my complaints re: the Ohio State Buckeyes football team's wolf-themed alternates this year that were void of color.

I'll hopefully have an updated draft to share soon....until then, any and all thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Minnesota Timberwolves City Edition Jersey v1.0

vGADhcc.jpg

Done. Finished. Final. Next.  I may be saying this because I have a bit of a bias towards simple designs, but this already looks fantastic.  If you were to do anything, maybe a hint of green.  But it's already amazing.

11 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Done. Finished. Final. Next.  I may be saying this because I have a bit of a bias towards simple designs, but this already looks fantastic.  If you were to do anything, maybe a hint of green.  But it's already amazing.

Thanks a lot! I definitely wanted to focus on simplicity, and I think I'll probably angle it slightly more in that direction by removing the gray inlines on the wordmark and numerals. 

I was experimenting with adding some color to it this morning, but that turned into an entirely unrelated draft of a green alternate. It currently looks more like the Kings' leaked City Edition jersey template than the template used throughout the remainder of the Wolves' current jersey set....we'll see if I can turn it into something worth sharing!

6 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Love it.

could be a little unique if you put timber above the wolves

I appreciate it! That would be a unique idea -- now that you mention it, the different typeface widths they use between the 'MINNESOTA' and 'WOLVES' scripts has irked me since it was unveiled. I might experiment with adding 'TIMBER' on top of this script as well as with a single-line 'TIMBERWOLVES' script using the narrower typeface.

4 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Wow you predicted the wolves perfectly saw the leak and the only difference is the curved word mark.

I'll be interested to see how well the solid white wordmark shows up on the light gray jersey without outlines. It doesn't look too bad on the leaked hat or 2K jersey, but I think matching the outlines makes the most sense with respect to both clarity and consistency. As mentioned above, I'll try eliminating my gray inlines on both the wordmark and numerals like the leak.

Also interesting to see how the wolf side panels angle in slightly from top to bottom as well as the fact that they're using the same neckline collar template as the Cavs.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:22 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here's another concept I've been working on lately.

Minnesota's recent re-branding effort was very good in terms of the color palette, logos, and wordmarks, but left a lot to be desired in regards to uniforms. This particular concept doesn't translate to a full uniform set, but rather serves best as a singular Statement or Community design. 

Anyways, it's themed after the Aurora Borealis - the Northern Lights - that can be seen from Minnesota and many other northern territories. It also just so happens to kind of coincide with their new color palette. It's fairly simple, albeit a bit complex in terms of textures and effects, but it ties the team's geographical location to its color palette while retaining the the wordmark typeface and adopting a matching one for the numerals. Sure, it may approach the line of fashion jersey, but I think it works.

Please let me know your thoughts....thanks!

Minnesota Timberwolves Northern Lights Jersey

VnqB3GN.jpg

On 9/28/2017 at 4:46 PM, CheeseBurger22 said:

I would buy this, and I'm not a T-Wolves fan. 

Seconded. They should use the concept for all of the teams as a one off for each team to buy. I would buy a Detroit one for sure!

Speaking of Detroit...hopefully they are on the short list of upcoming jerseys that you create. :)

I'd like to see something that stayed away from using gears in the logo - everything tries that and it always ends up too busy for a logo or jersey. 

On 12/15/2017 at 4:11 PM, odor31 said:

Seconded. They should use the concept for all of the teams as a one off for each team to buy. I would buy a Detroit one for sure!

Speaking of Detroit...hopefully they are on the short list of upcoming jerseys that you create. :)

I'd like to see something that stayed away from using gears in the logo - everything tries that and it always ends up too busy for a logo or jersey. 

I've started and abandoned concepts for the Pistons probably a half dozen times or so. Their current identity is getting very stale, but aside from the '90s their uniform history has been too consistent to draw back on anything from previous sets. If and when I have something worth sharing I'll post it!

Lately, I've spent quite a bit of time away from concepts while still working on some things -- most notably a (fairly) massive overhaul to my template. It started out mostly just as a way to hammer down the textures of the various materials, but then my OCD got the best of me and it became a full-on quest to make everything on the front - and eventually also the back - as exact as possible. So here we are now, with a more complete template with which to work.

Although I haven't been working explicitly on any concepts for the past several days, I've been thinking about things I like, dislike, would keep, and would tweak ever since the leaked City Edition jerseys @Conrad. provided for us on the homepage. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by a number of the apparent jerseys, but I'll reserve final judgment until we see them on-court.

Anyways, one that stood out to me (and others in the 2017/18 NBA Changes thread) as needing a complete overhaul was the Houston Rockets and their Chinese New Year alternate. Taking an already inspired template with a dull color palette and simply slapping a Chinese wordmark on the front just isn't a good look. It isn't original, it doesn't capture anything regarding Chinese New Year, and quite frankly it isn't unique enough from their regular set to maximize sales. 

So, the first step was to ditch the template from their Association and Icon Edition jerseys in favor of the one from their Statement Edition jersey -- one with cleaner side panels that also, you know, relate to rockets. Next, we dumped the red and silver for the colors of the Chinese flag in addition to black, which coincides with Nike's apparent effort to maximize color on teams' third and fourth uniforms. It hopefully also appeases all of the folks who'd like the team to return to the red and yellow color palette from the early '90s and prior. Finally, the trim is kept to simple, single or dual color patterns to once again coincide with Nike's current design aesthetic. This gives us a vibrant base with a clean canvas.

The Chinese wordmark is retained, albeit below the numerals, as is the contrasting drop shadow from previous iterations of the uniform. The numerals are moved above the numeral and to the side of chest where they appeared during that weird era where Hakeem Olajuwon was forced to play in those goofy pinstriped late-'90s jerseys. The numerals also include a nod to the Chinese flag, as the four small stars are retained around the numerals that have been swapped in for the large star. These elements also receive the contrasting drop shadow for the sake of consistency.

The back of the jersey is very simple and consistent with the front, though the nameplate does not receive the contrasting drop shadow treatment due to multi-colored nameplates apparently not being a thing anymore in today's NBA. I don't make the rules, and honestly I don't know if that even is a rule, but for the time being I'll stick with single-color nameplates.

Hopefully this is a more interesting and/or visually appealing design than what it looks like the Rockets will actually be wearing. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Houston Rockets City Edition Jersey Concept - Front

v5cduEh.jpg

Houston Rockets City Edition Jersey Concept - Back

QnUC3Ll.jpg

On 11/25/2017 at 3:22 AM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here's a concept for the Dallas Mavericks I more or less made up as I went along, and have now reached a point where I could use some input. I'm not sure if it's an Icon or a Statement Edition jersey, but the end goal is to create a set of three or four jerseys based around this new identity concept that is consistent with Nike's style so far during its initial takeover as the official outfitter of the NBA. So far, I like some aspects and am very skeptical of others.

The Mavericks' current identity is one of if not the most stale in the League, and as Dirk's career winds down and Dennis Smith, Jr. takes the torch a rebrand is very much in order. The typeface and uniform template have to go, though the double blues can stay -- at least in some capacity. However, the team needs a fresh start, so we'll inject green back into the color palette and give them a clean and updated typeface with a slight old school groove to it.

I began by conducting research, with the obvious starting point being a Google search for "what is a maverick" that yielded this inspiring quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger. So with this quote as well as Nike's aesthetic in mind, I want to create something that's different, but with minimal elements. Although I never loved the Diddy-designed green alternates, some of the nuts and bolts are worth keeping -- mainly the color palette and at least a little bit of the trim pattern. I think the vibrant color palette is refreshing in the all-blue-everything uniform landscape of today's NBA, while the solid-color collar and armhole trim maintain a clean look.

After that, I've struggled. The Mavericks' current uniform template has long overstayed its welcome, and historically there are no unique uniform elements to revert back to in regards to the side panels. The design I've been working with has been a sublimated pattern of that which appeared on Bret Maverick's waistcoat in the television series Maverick -- that show is where the team originally got its nickname, and James Garner - who played Bret Maverick - was a member of the franchise's original ownership group. 

I can't tell if I like the pattern or if it works or if the inspiration behind the design of it even makes any sense whatsoever. So that's where I'm at and why I've come to you all. Any and all feedback as well as thoughts and suggestions on how to make this better and/or more consistent with Arnold Schwarzenegger's aforementioned definition of a maverick would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dallas Mavericks Concept Jersey

HOn8HUP.jpg

That is a hell of a lot better than the leaked "City Edition" jerseys they have. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

On 18/12/2017 at 3:10 AM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Lately, I've spent quite a bit of time away from concepts while still working on some things -- most notably a (fairly) massive overhaul to my template. It started out mostly just as a way to hammer down the textures of the various materials, but then my OCD got the best of me and it became a full-on quest to make everything on the front - and eventually also the back - as exact as possible. So here we are now, with a more complete template with which to work.

Although I haven't been working explicitly on any concepts for the past several days, I've been thinking about things I like, dislike, would keep, and would tweak ever since the leaked City Edition jerseys @Conrad. provided for us on the homepage. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by a number of the apparent jerseys, but I'll reserve final judgment until we see them on-court.

Anyways, one that stood out to me (and others in the 2017/18 NBA Changes thread) as needing a complete overhaul was the Houston Rockets and their Chinese New Year alternate. Taking an already inspired template with a dull color palette and simply slapping a Chinese wordmark on the front just isn't a good look. It isn't original, it doesn't capture anything regarding Chinese New Year, and quite frankly it isn't unique enough from their regular set to maximize sales. 

So, the first step was to ditch the template from their Association and Icon Edition jerseys in favor of the one from their Statement Edition jersey -- one with cleaner side panels that also, you know, relate to rockets. Next, we dumped the red and silver for the colors of the Chinese flag in addition to black, which coincides with Nike's apparent effort to maximize color on teams' third and fourth uniforms. It hopefully also appeases all of the folks who'd like the team to return to the red and yellow color palette from the early '90s and prior. Finally, the trim is kept to simple, single or dual color patterns to once again coincide with Nike's current design aesthetic. This gives us a vibrant base with a clean canvas.

The Chinese wordmark is retained, albeit below the numerals, as is the contrasting drop shadow from previous iterations of the uniform. The numerals are moved above the numeral and to the side of chest where they appeared during that weird era where Hakeem Olajuwon was forced to play in those goofy pinstriped late-'90s jerseys. The numerals also include a nod to the Chinese flag, as the four small stars are retained around the numerals that have been swapped in for the large star. These elements also receive the contrasting drop shadow for the sake of consistency.

The back of the jersey is very simple and consistent with the front, though the nameplate does not receive the contrasting drop shadow treatment due to multi-colored nameplates apparently not being a thing anymore in today's NBA. I don't make the rules, and honestly I don't know if that even is a rule, but for the time being I'll stick with single-color nameplates.

Hopefully this is a more interesting and/or visually appealing design than what it looks like the Rockets will actually be wearing. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Houston Rockets City Edition Jersey Concept - Front

v5cduEh.jpg

Houston Rockets City Edition Jersey Concept - Back

QnUC3Ll.jpg

Man I love this jersey, defo would love for this to replace the current city one.

Since they city jerseys were leaked, here's a few suggestions you could do.

All Star Jersey: The Games in Charlotte, a lot of historic jerseys there (tar heels, og hornets).

Holiday Jerseys: chrismas is next week so it may be a bit to long for that, but events like Black History Month is one the league always represents

Modern Remasters: Teams are always trying to make use of past jerseys, why not update them for modern times?

Anyway keep up the good work, any where I can follow your work?

Archived