Hoopladawg87

NBA x NIKE (SACRAMENTO KINGS FAUX-BACKS added 6/19)

107 posts in this topic

With the NBA switching to Nike upon the expiration of Adidas' contract with the League at the end of this season, this thread will be where I'll share all of my designs. Ideally I want to create home and away uniforms for all 30 teams, but that may be a bit ambitious so we'll see what happens. I'll start with one uniform for each of the 16 playoff teams and then hopefully progress from there. This will be an exercise focusing primarily on colors, fonts, and minimalist design elements to create a clean and unique look for each team that reinforces or in some cases redesigns their brand. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

 

Indiana Pacers Away Uniform

KQQuXug.jpg

 

This takes the clean aesthetic of their current look and recalls the more yellow-centric color balance of their uniforms from the early '90s, adding a sublimated checkerboard racing stripe pattern along the side panels.

 

 

 

Chicago Bulls Away Uniform

NoynjNv.jpg

 

While black is typically used as an alternate uniform color for the Bulls, the Jordan-era pinstripes were too classic to pass up. This look doesn't reinvent those classic jerseys so much as it simply reapplies it to the updated Nike Aeroswift jersey template.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i love the pacers 

on the bulls maybe darken the red on the jersey idk the stripes just seem very bright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both look sharp and the template/presentation is fantastic

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good overall! where did u get that tamplate it's really niiice !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that Pacers jersey.

 

Remember...the NBA logo will stay on the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are pretty nice, but it's tough to judge them without getting a look at the sides and/or back of the jerseys as well as the shorts. And I wouldn't be afraid to use some trim on the collar and armholes for a lot of these designs as I think Nike will adapt it's template to fit the look of each team, similar to what they did when they took over the NFL contract and basically adapted most teams' looks to their template.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, andyfootball67 said:

i love the pacers 

on the bulls maybe darken the red on the jersey idk the stripes just seem very bright

 

Good call -- I originally started pulling the official team colors via ColorWerx, but now that you mention it some of the layer effects might be altering the shade of it.

 

22 hours ago, benpc21 said:

Both look sharp and the template/presentation is fantastic

 

Thank you!

 

15 hours ago, Sidney said:

Really good overall! where did u get that tamplate it's really niiice !

 

I appreciate it! I saw a few artists on Behance working with similar templates they made using a high resolution Team USA jersey from what I believe was Nike's press release about the 2016 Olympic uniforms, so I spent several hours clone-stamping and spot-healing away all of the original elements of that jersey and then added the NBA tags and applications to create a blank template with which to work.

 

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I like that Pacers jersey.

 

Remember...the NBA logo will stay on the back.

 

Valid point! I don't expect that to change any time soon - especially with the emergence of ads - but to be honest the NBA logo returning to the front of the jersey in these concepts is 100% a result of an OCD-driven need to balance out the area opposite the Nike Swoosh.

 

52 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

man i can't wait to see more from you @Hoopladawg87. These are incredible!

 

Thanks a lot, Shado! The goal is to do all 30 teams, but if I seem to be slipping I might need you to hold me to that!

 

50 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

These are pretty nice, but it's tough to judge them without getting a look at the sides and/or back of the jerseys as well as the shorts. And I wouldn't be afraid to use some trim on the collar and armholes for a lot of these designs as I think Nike will adapt it's template to fit the look of each team, similar to what they did when they took over the NFL contract and basically adapted most teams' looks to their template.

 

I agree with you completely -- the limitations of the template in terms of what you can and can't see (and therefore can and can't design) as well as the difficulty in terms of adding realistic textures for elements such as the collar and armhole trim are the my biggest challenges and frustrations right now. While I don't mind most of the trim-less looks I saw in college basketball this season, such a look would take some getting use to at the NBA level. As I familiarize myself with the template I'll hopefully be able to add some character to these concepts with the elements you mentioned. Thanks a lot for the input!

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a few more I've started on...

 

Boston Celtics Away Uniform

oQQLSWQ.jpg

 

I'm conflicted working on the Boston Celtics....on one hand, their classic look needs no frills; on the other, this jersey feels almost too minimalistic. The addition of gold is essential when it comes to updating their look in my mind, but just about anything beyond that is too radical for my tastes. The more I look at it, the more I think I like it...

 

 

 

Boston Celtics Home Uniform

mnkVaRc.jpg

 

...until I see the white home jersey. This is where I find myself frustrated at the lack of collar and armhole trim, adjustable side panels, etc. This look still seems to suit the Celtics' classic brand, but I don't foresee it to work as well for most other teams.

 

 

 

Atlanta Hawks Away Uniform

vZ7AUuj.jpg

 

I miss the '90s, but I also realize many NBA uniforms from that era were disastrous in terms of design. I think the gradient from the mid-'90s Hawks jerseys is an underappreciated and unique element, albeit in retrospect probably deservedly so because the of the giant cartoon hawk rendering that obscured it. This retains the team's current color palette, which I've surprisingly warmed up to, in a way that incorporates a previous era while also eliminating the clutter that plagues their current uniforms. Again....is this too minimalistic? If so, what (preferably starting within the limitations of this particular template) would you add to this jersey (or others)?

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad somebody is not afraid to put gold on Celtics uniforms. Nice! 

 

Huge fan of 90s NBA uniforms so that incorporation of the gradient red and black with the current volt color for the HAWKS looks impressive.

 

Good job again @Hoopladawg87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work here.  Love the minimalistic concepts.  Not sure why the home whites read "Boston" where they should read "Celtics".  Looking forward to the rest of your concepts!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big NO to the Celtics. For a St. Patrick's Day alt, fine, but never for the home and away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

Glad somebody is not afraid to put gold on Celtics uniforms. Nice! 

 

Huge fan of 90s NBA uniforms so that incorporation of the gradient red and black with the current volt color for the HAWKS looks impressive.

 

Good job again @Hoopladawg87

 

Thank you! Glad someone agrees on the Celtics adding gold -- with the modernized silhouettes and materials, I think their classic look could afford a minor update even if it's as simple as adding gold.

 

20 hours ago, michalekd1 said:

Great work here.  Love the minimalistic concepts.  Not sure why the home whites read "Boston" where they should read "Celtics".  Looking forward to the rest of your concepts!

 

Good catch! For some reason I could've sworn their white jerseys had 'BOSTON' on them for years, but some quick digging informed me that it was their green jerseys that had 'CELTICS' on them for years -- that will have to be changed. I appreciate the kind words!

 

2 hours ago, Djruggs said:

A big NO to the Celtics. For a St. Patrick's Day alt, fine, but never for the home and away.

 

There was a time when I certainly agreed with that sentiment, but as mentioned above, the new silhouettes, materials, etc. are making it more and more enticing to modernize their brand just a bit. I wholeheartedly respect anyone who favors their traditional look, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, there's just no reason to change anything. Duke was able to make it work pretty flawlessly this year too. 9794343-matt-jones-ncaa-basketball-bosto631692720-e1485360919705.jpg?w=1024&h=57

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Portland is weird. My concepts for the Trail Blazers are weird as well. Please tell me what I did right or wrong and perhaps what you would do differently. Thanks!

 

Portland Trail Blazers Away Uniform

bw3olGE.jpg

 

The goal was to retain elements of their traditional while making their jerseys slightly less conservative. The unnecessary inclusion of silver has been removed, the sash has been preserved in the diagonal wordmark, and the striping of the pinwheel logo has found its way to each side panel.

 

 

 

Portland Trail Blazers Home Uniform

gVhBGEK.jpg

 

As much as I kind of like the quirkiness of the away jersey, the color balance on the white home jersey looks off to me. Or maybe it's something else entirely, I'm not sure. Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

 

 

 

Thanks for looking!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Blazers. As a Blazers fan, I can definitely appreciate the way you reinterpreted their look, but I think you may have implemented too many different elements. I'm actually not completely opposed to the diagonal wordmark, but I'm not a huge fan of the font or the split coloring. I think if you keep the diagonal wordmark, those would be things to address. Other than that I'm not really sure about the pinwheel striping either, and I'd suggest something more along the lines of their current ripcity alts, or possibly even their uniforms from the '70's. If you went with something like the latter, I think vertical text would be a better option. I look forward to seeing what others have to say, as well as any updates you're able to come up with. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually LOVE Portland road uniform that you but the Blazers home is "meh" (too much red and simplistic)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thu Apr 27 2017 at 3:58 PM, upperV03 said:

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Blazers. As a Blazers fan, I can definitely appreciate the way you reinterpreted their look, but I think you may have implemented too many different elements. I'm actually not completely opposed to the diagonal wordmark, but I'm not a huge fan of the font or the split coloring. I think if you keep the diagonal wordmark, those would be things to address. Other than that I'm not really sure about the pinwheel striping either, and I'd suggest something more along the lines of their current ripcity alts, or possibly even their uniforms from the '70's. If you went with something like the latter, I think vertical text would be a better option. I look forward to seeing what others have to say, as well as any updates you're able to come up with. 

I agree. Start with the font. The number's font, also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Tue Apr 25 2017 at 9:03 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Here are a few more I've started on...

 

Boston Celtics Away Uniform

oQQLSWQ.jpg

 

I'm conflicted working on the Boston Celtics....on one hand, their classic look needs no frills; on the other, this jersey feels almost too minimalistic. The addition of gold is essential when it comes to updating their look in my mind, but just about anything beyond that is too radical for my tastes. The more I look at it, the more I think I like it...

 

 

 

Boston Celtics Home Uniform

mnkVaRc.jpg

 

...until I see the white home jersey. This is where I find myself frustrated at the lack of collar and armhole trim, adjustable side panels, etc. This look still seems to suit the Celtics' classic brand, but I don't foresee it to work as well for most other teams.

 

 

 

Atlanta Hawks Away Uniform

vZ7AUuj.jpg

 

I miss the '90s, but I also realize many NBA uniforms from that era were disastrous in terms of design. I think the gradient from the mid-'90s Hawks jerseys is an underappreciated and unique element, albeit in retrospect probably deservedly so because the of the giant cartoon hawk rendering that obscured it. This retains the team's current color palette, which I've surprisingly warmed up to, in a way that incorporates a previous era while also eliminating the clutter that plagues their current uniforms. Again....is this too minimalistic? If so, what (preferably starting within the limitations of this particular template) would you add to this jersey (or others)?

Boston away looks fine, but there's something, je ne sais quoi, off about the home jersey, and it's not the gold trim. Hawks gradient jersey looks dope :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now